When do you start Packing

sgtmgd

In my best Hatter Scottish accent...and Inspired in part by @DisneyDebNJ

How early do you pack for your trip to WDW...

THis started with a comment to Deb a few minutes ago when I laughingly told her my better half after buying new luggage last week proceeded to do what she called a "dry run" and packed her suitcase Friday night for a trip 23 days away..btw the suitcase is still packed..ROFL..I'm being told that to unpack it would be counterproductive......

Deb chimed in that she has her spare bedroom decked out in outfits and accessories AND is Ironing her Husbands shirts for their Disney Cruise in 22 days....lol

SO Disney Mousekateers...please educate me on Disney packing rules...

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I start packing the day I get home from my last trip, even if it is a year or more away. I have one suit case that I use only for trips to Walt Disney World. In side I keep stuff like disposable rain coats, landers for holding tickets, suntan location, hats, minor first aid stuff, etc. I restock this the day I get back from Walt Disney World with what I know I will need on the next trip. This way all I have to do is pack clothes that I am going to wear.

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

I start packing the day I get home from my last trip, even if it is a year or more away. I have one suit case that I use only for trips to Walt Disney World. In side I keep stuff like disposable rain coats, landers for holding tickets, suntan location, hats, minor first aid stuff, etc. I restock this the day I get back from Walt Disney World with what I know I will need on the next trip. This way all I have to do is pack clothes that I am going to wear.

Wow - me too. My parents drive down, we fly, and we meet at the resort. They bring a bag for us of the heavy things that may put our luggage over for the plane. That bag basically stays packed year round - i just replenish when we return home and have it packed for next year.

I've come to the realization that this site is just a great big pack of enablers for the rest of us and we all have serious issues!!!

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

A list for myself is made up (and adjusted) a month or two out. My wife gets her stuff together about 2 weeks out and my kids about the same. We pack in "outfits"...meaning we pack a shirt with a pair of shorts that match. Makes things easier in our opinion.

We generally go in the fall or early winter here in the northeast so it's easy to get everything out since we're not wearing our shorts, etc in Nov/Dec.

We pack in "outfits," too, and I try to use a similar color scheme, so there is some freedom to mix and match. It's also a great way to avoid overpacking! :)

Upvote 0

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
We pack in "outfits," too, and I try to use a similar color scheme, so there is some freedom to mix and match. It's also a great way to avoid overpacking! :)
Same here. The kids will have a complete outfit down to underwear and socks in zip-loc bag with matching hair accessories too for my daughter. I pack in outfits for myself but don't bag them. My husband just counts out the appropriate number of shirts, shorts and underwear and throws them on top of the open suitcase and walks away.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

LucyK

Since we live in the south hemisphere and summer here means winter in Orlando, we kinda pack six months in advance, meaning we store the excess winter clothes in the suitcases. Around 3 weeks prior to departure date we unpack the suitcases, check the weather and decide what we want/need and get it all to laundry. We take less clothes than needed because I know I'll spent a small fortune in clothes when I'm there and I'll need the extra space. Last trip we had to buy an extra luggage set because I over shopped and I had no place to store all my new shoes. DELTA must love me because they only charged me one piece of extra luggage when in total we had 7 bags for the two of us :jawdrop:.

Upvote 0

MissingDisney

I pack outfits for the kids and although they don't match, they coordinate. I figure for all the money I pay for photo pass plus, they better at least look nice and clean, not the normal school yard scrubs. :greedy:

Upvote 0

luv

I've done a lot of traveling in my life, so I don't really need a list. When possible, I pack light and either wash (if the washer/dryer are in the condo) or send it out to be cleaned (in hotels.) I prefer to wash myself as many hotels have ruined things, including Disney.

If I'm leaving early, I'll pack the night before and load the car. If not, I pack when I get up.

Same deal at the hotel. If leaving early, pack up at night (maybe starting during the afternoon break at Disney.)

I DO sit the suitcases outside to air out a day before I pack. Otherwise, everything ends up with suitcase smell.

Upvote 0

Disvillain63

My suitcase is open, in my closet...there's also a storage container next to it. My first trip is in 24 days, so the container has been added to since the plan was to go again...lanyards, bottle straps, other things that we take and use only at WDW. The suitcase has a few items that only go to WDW or that will not be needed during the next few weeks. The really packing takes place the night before we leave; always has, even when the kids were young.

Since we'll be going with our DS and family again in October, we have a second box that arrived in the mail from them...the children's costumes...penguin for the baby and Bert for the 8-year old...can't wait for the photos. As soon as we get back from our September trip, we'll reorganize and start packing for the October trip.

The packing is the easy part for me...I have to organize my cleaning around teaching...I like to come home to a clean house, fresh sheets, etc... Every time I go to Disney, I end up doing a Spring Cleaning...we end up taking stuff to the dump, Goodwill, and extra trash run.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
In my best Hatter Scottish accent...and Inspired in part by @DisneyDebNJ

How early do you pack for your trip to WDW...

THis started with a comment to Deb a few minutes ago when I laughingly told her my better half after buying new luggage last week proceeded to do what she called a "dry run" and packed her suitcase Friday night for a trip 23 days away..btw the suitcase is still packed..ROFL..I'm being told that to unpack it would be counterproductive......

Deb chimed in that she has her spare bedroom decked out in outfits and accessories AND is Ironing her Husbands shirts for their Disney Cruise in 22 days....lol

SO Disney Mousekateers...please educate me on Disney packing rules...

I have a 3 step packing system. Step 1) I have a list of outfits that are needed for the entire trip broken down by my DH and myself. I start the outfit list as soon as I book. Favorite outfits, things to wear on which days, etc. When the list is complete, with accessories and everything, usually about 3 months out, then I photograph the outfits together - its an OCD thing. :rolleyes: Step 2) I then start officially packing when I pay off the trip. I usually pay off around 60 days out. That's when the suitcases come out. Step 3) I always have my Disney bin ready to go and I have a toiletry and make up case that is always ready and complete. So if we were off for an impromptu weekend away or something, I can grab the case and off I go. At the end of every trip, I restock it and it is ready to travel. :) So that is always ready. And I pull out what I need this trip from the Disney Bin. :)

Upvote 0

copcarguyp71

I try to get the bulk of it typically the weekend before we leave (we usually leave midweek). I have to work right up until the day before so I try to get wash together and get everything packed during the weekend so I am not up until 3AM the night before we have to trek to the airport.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

I pulled my suitcase out the day I booked the trip, back in April :rolleyes: and kept looking at it hoping that would help the days pass. I set a large tote bag up in my Disney room a month ago and started collecting little things I thought of to take. Now with 23 days to go, thinking I'm preparing early, I started checking out my shorts, T shirts etc. and started filling up the suitcase. :cool: My wife said... you can put things in there now but I'm going to be washing everything just before we go and repacking it. :in pain: Yes Dear.

Upvote 0

Sparkle81

I've started putting things in the little Trunki suitcase that my DS will be taking on the plane- stickers, books, crayons etc. Anything that pops into my head that I think will help to keep him occupied on a 9 hour flight, it goes in.
Only 105 days to go......:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom