When do we get the Pirates Of Caribbean Shanghai ride technology in USA?

phillip9698

I wouldnt mind if they revamped the Pirates ride in WDW. Im all for preserving history and keeping the legacy of the rides alive within Disney, though i think one park is fine. Have the original Pirates at DLR, then the other parks are free to go wild with their versions. Keep the Tower of Terror as is in WDW then the other parks can do as they please with the system in their own way. That way the legacy of the ride is preserved for those who want to experience it but you dont run into an issue with clones needing to stay at other parks for "nostalgia" purposes.

This Piraten in Batavia ride looks absolutely amazing, the sets are so lavish you dont even need the screens.

Pepper's Ghost

Any reason to not put a Shanghai version of POTC in Hollywood Studios? That would be frickin awesome! I understand it doesn't have a themed land, but it's not like Mickey's Railway has it's own themed land or anything. RnRC doesn't either. If they did that, they could then shut down PotC for a while for a refurbishment back to the original, or better yet, a version more similar to DL. Those should both happen shortly after the sun rises in the West.
Edit: minor typo. Meant DL, not DK.

Last edited:

FettFan

Rode this back in 2019, and it is hand down the best attraction on any Disney property to date - mixture of a real live experience, anamatronics, with the immersive video experience. Loved it. Fo sure, you will feel cheated if you rode then then rode the US versions.

What would be the closest attraction we have to it in the Orlando or Cali parks? Do you forsee any attractions coming up that will embrace this sort of ride style?

Technically we did with Runaway Railway, only with trackless vehicles instead of boats.

FettFan

An Indiana Jones boat ride would be perfect with this ride system and theming. Close the Indy stunt show in HS and build it there.

Yes. Time for Crystal Skull to finally be elevated above the miserable slog that is Temple of Doom.
kpjweh-19indianajonesreview18large.jpg

Not a perfect film by any means....but at least we didn't have to listen to Kate Capshaw shrieking incoherently at everything that moves, while Precocious Goonies Kid tries to be comedy relief.

FlaMatt

Holy moly, i've just gone and watched a POV of the ride and i'm blown away. The set design alone is impressive enough to put it on par with a Disney ride :D
This Piraten in Batavia ride looks absolutely amazing, the sets are so lavish you dont even need the screens.
My thoughts exactly. Europa Park is officially now a bucket list destination for me, mostly for that ride alone. There's only one other ride that I've seen a video of that seems to give Disney as big of a "hold my beer" as Piraten, and that is Symbolica at Efteling in the Netherlands.

champdisney

There were rumors on here about Disney adapting the attraction concept of Shanghai's Pirates to Animal Kingdom with it being tied to The Jungle Book 2016. Even when those rumors first circulated, it was considered to be an attraction Disney would eventually build in the far future. If ever.

Pepper's Ghost

Yes. Time for Crystal Skull to finally be elevated above the miserable slog that is Temple of Doom.
kpjweh-19indianajonesreview18large.jpg

Not a perfect film by any means....but at least we didn't have to listen to Kate Capshaw shrieking incoherently at everything that moves, while Precocious Goonies Kid tries to be comedy relief.
First, the idea for an adventure ride based on Indy is a great idea! Regarding this idea for Crystal Skull though, maybe I'm misunderstanding, but why base a ride on the inferior movie of the series like Crystal Skull when there were two far better films to base it on including the original, and Last Crusade? Not that IMDB is a perfect measure, but of the four, Crystal Skull was the lowest rated... 1.4 pts below the very weak Temple film.

Pepper's Ghost

A trackless Indiana Jones ride is an outstanding idea! Why does it have to be specifically themed after the Crystal Skull specifically?
Precisely my question too. I don't think it does, but from what I'm gathering from previous comments, if you base presumably an excellent ride on the movie, somehow it will improve the movie???? I don't understand the logic. That's like saying that basing a great ride on New Kids on the Block would somehow transform them into the Beatles or something. 🤣🤪 I'd say base it on the original, or Last Crusade. Lost Ark makes the most sense, but Last Crusade might have better action scenes to duplicate and send ride vehicles through.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
and while we're on this topic, it's good to remember that Tokyo DisneySea's Indy Ride is also themed to the Crystal Skull, but YEARS before the movie and really has no relation to that storyline. It's mostly a slightly re-themed version of DL's ride.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
On the subject, has anyone of you across the pond ridden the revamped Piraten In Batavia ride at Europa Park? As far as animatronic theming and practical effects go, it looks like it puts any version of Disney's Pirates to shame. Judging strictly from YouTube videos and reviews, so can't say first hand.
Wow. Seems like Pirates on the Jungle Cruise with a touch of El Rio del Tiempo. Europa Park sure went to school on Disney.

Jon Good

It would be nice to have it here in Florida. Many guests also ask where the restaurant (Blue Bayou) is. When Disney built the Pirates attraction in Florida they cut the budget and the ride did not get as much as the one at Disneyland.

doctornick

Any reason to not put a Shanghai version of POTC in Hollywood Studios? That would be frickin awesome! I understand it doesn't have a themed land, but it's not like Mickey's Railway has it's own themed land or anything. RnRC doesn't either. If they did that, they could then shut down PotC for a while for a refurbishment back to the original, or better yet, a version more similar to DK. Those should both happen shortly after the sun rises in the West.

I've been a fan of the idea of doing that - putting Shanghai Pirates in DHS and refurb the MK version to remove Jack (and other movie references) and return to more like the original (I know they won't return the less PC elements which is a whole other topic). A Captain Jack-less MK POTC would actually be quite distinct from the new ride in a totally different park and would appease fans with different preferences.

You could certainly put such a Pirates ride in the Echo Lake part of DHS - tear down the stunt show and combine the Pirates ride with a more thrilling IJ ride (even just a clone of the roller coaster from Paris) for a movie version of Adventureland.

Last edited:

Pepper's Ghost

I've been a fan of the idea of doing that - putting Shanghai Pirates in DHS and refurb the MK version to remove Jack (and other move references) and return to more like the original (I know they won't return the less PC elements which is a whole other topic). A Captain Jack-less MK POTC would actually be quite distinct from the new ride in a totally different park and would appease fans with different preferences.

You could certainly put such a Pirates ride in the Echo Lake part of DHS - tear down the stunt show and combine the Pirates ride with a more thrilling IJ ride (even just a clone of the roller coaster from Paris) for a movie version of Adventureland.
Great minds! Do you want to present to the Disney Parks BOD, or should I? 😁 🤣

FettFan

There were rumors on here about Disney adapting the attraction concept of Shanghai's Pirates to Animal Kingdom with it being tied to The Jungle Book 2016. Even when those rumors first circulated, it was considered to be an attraction Disney would eventually build in the far future. If ever.

KING LOUIE TEMPLE EARTHQUAKE CONFIRMED!

FettFan

Precisely my question too. I don't think it does, but from what I'm gathering from previous comments, if you base presumably an excellent ride on the movie, somehow it will improve the movie???? I don't understand the logic. That's like saying that basing a great ride on New Kids on the Block would somehow transform them into the Beatles or something. 🤣🤪 I'd say base it on the original, or Last Crusade. Lost Ark makes the most sense, but Last Crusade might have better action scenes to duplicate and send ride vehicles through.

Japan already did the Crystal Skull and it worked pretty well.
Granted it's a real crystal skull and not some alien bones.
aDPrc4mzwU_Z6KxHqVKCaYFUMcAoJog5fJu59m3YWP-Dn1qwnbPUAV28CEjThrsuo6dUZh-5OVm_5vWZPBY6zYFRVfNjF94dfuwoF2orjomjijFnH9-qkoai3oKimXToSiN7mbOHMA-K9jd13SN_5kP9s_8zww
IMG_2638.jpg

Last edited:

DisneyDean97

Money.

that’s what it’s not gone in Epcot or DAK (the parks that we’re competing for it)
Wow, it's crazy that DHS wasn't even seriously considered for the new Pirate tech, the park desperately needs a water ride... and an attraction that can handle a lot of capacity, which I'm assuming the Shanghai's POTC can. Epcot doesn't; need another water attraction, Epcot needs TLC to its existing pavilions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom