Trip Report When can we do this again? A Fractal family Odyssey. *COMPLETED*

Definition of odyssey:
  • : a long journey full of adventures

• : a series of experiences that give knowledge or understanding to someone
Not too long ago I had a lot of doubt this trip would ever happen. The financial cost of higher education, the fact my wife Val wanted to go anywhere BUT Disney, the crazy and conflicting schedules of the kids, made the odds of keeping our 2-year WDW trip tradition a large long-shot. But maybe things do happen for a reason...

A great deal came our way and before we knew it we were on our way back to the World. Not without a major sacrifice however as my eldest daughter Alexandra had to miss the trip due to her schooling ( she graduates this Friday as an Registered Nurse!). She is a bit of a kindred spirit to me with a personality closer to mine than the other two, so I knew I would miss her dearly on the trip.

Here she is at Christmas with my Mom (Yia-Yia).

DSC05745-X2.jpg

Speaking of Yia-yia; she will join us again at WDW! We had a great time with her on our 2013 trip at the Poly. We would meet up with her, my Sister Marina (here with me)...

_DSC0720-XL.jpg

and my two nieces; Courtney...

_DSC0443-XL.jpg

and Mia...
DSC05736-X2.jpg

at the Yacht Club on the second leg of our journey. The first part of our trip took us to my in-law's (Al & Sue) who moved to Florida (Tampa - St. Pete area) last year. They would also join us at WDW!

Here they are from a 50th anniversary party we had for them last Winter...

DSC05476-X2.jpg

It was early evening Thursday July 20th when we began our Odyssey. My good friend Wally picked us up to take us to the Baltimore (BWI) airport.

DSC00007-XL.jpg

Excitement was building for our trip but the real Disney excitement would come later.

Sterg and Toni occupied the back seat. They were almost late for the pickup as they decided a last second Starbucks run was in order. Sterg ended up paying for that about an hour later as his bladder protested strongly.

DSC00006-XL.jpg

Val was next to me and could barely contain her enthusiasm.

DSC00008-XL.jpg

Not only was she not fully in favor of another Disney trip, she was (rightfully) concerned with the potential problems, complications, and stress of merging these 3 parts of the family together in the already chaotic environment of managing reservations, room assignments, getting to the parks, fastpasses and dinner plans. I had much of the same worries, which were also amplified by the fact Yia-Yia and Al would be using electric scooters during our time at the World. But hey, it's Disney, what could go wrong?

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Such a wonderful picture and beautiful kids!! I'm sure you'll be able to finagle a WDW trip somehow...

Thanks @PacNWTigger ! With any luck.
Love seeing the pictures of the kids -- every year they grow more attractive! By the way, Serg looks more like you, as the years pass by. :)

Thanks @MinnieM123 !
Best bet would be to wait till 2020 SW:GE will be a nightmare for the last part of 19 when it opens
I'm starting to resign myself to that or...
I'm betting SW:GE will be a nightmare for at least a year. That's why we're going next Summer BEFORE it opens, then we'll wait a few years before going back for SW. I made the mistake of going to WWoHP a month after it opened in 2010. Wall to wall people and there were wait times just to get into the shops. 45 minute to 1 hour wait to get into the main shop that had wands and then it was so packed you couldn't even get up to the wands and I got clobbered when someone literally jumped up and reached over my head to try to grab the wand they wanted. I have no desire to go through that again with SW:GE.
SW is WAY more popular than Avatar...think how busy Pandora was when it first opened, and it's still pretty crowded from what I see online...now imagine how many more fans SW has. No thank you....I'll wait for that to die down!

going in 2019 before SW:GE opens maybe our only window of opportunity. And we would still see TSL for the first time as well as Mickey's runaway train ride. Not sure if there is anything else new opening up by Summer 2019.

Songbird76

Thanks @PacNWTigger
going in 2019 before SW:GE opens maybe our only window of opportunity. And we would still see TSL for the first time as well as Mickey's runaway train ride. Not sure if there is anything else new opening up by Summer 2019.
I think most stuff is opening in 2021 for the 50th anniversary, isn't it? Well...the gondolas are supposed to open in the spring of 2019, but I don't know if that's really considered "something new". But Tron is supposed to open in 2021, and a bunch of stuff is supposed to be refurbished...when is the new space-themed restaurant supposed to open? And Ratatouille?

FlaggNL

So...... this it costs me hours to read and watch your TR! As always one of the best to see. You're pictures are marvelous and magical! And the way you describe the trip... magnificent to read! You're family is wonderful. Of course this was an 'oldy' but still catching up a lot of reports during our countdown! Thanks for sharing! Helps pumping up the pre feelings!

fractal

Original Poster
Great picture of the kids, we are also going before SW:GE opens next summer before the madness of crowds descend.

Thanks @Gurt! Maybe we'll see you there.

So...... this it costs me hours to read and watch your TR! As always one of the best to see. You're pictures are marvelous and magical! And the way you describe the trip... magnificent to read! You're family is wonderful. Of course this was an 'oldy' but still catching up a lot of reports during our countdown! Thanks for sharing! Helps pumping up the pre feelings!

Thanks @FlaggNL! Looking forward to reading about your adventures!

riverside

Great picture of your kids!! My sister & her family were in Rehoboth a few weeks ago. They really enjoy it there!!
Keeping my fingers crossed than you return sooner than later!!

DisSplash

Got back from WDW a week ago and I had to pop back on here to tell you that Yia Yia was right about Flight of Passage - it was AMAZING!! I shared her story with my family before going on and they all agreed with her too! We only got to do it once because the line is still crazy long ... we had a fast pass for a 7:45 PM return but tried to also rope drop it, only we bailed when we were told that we were still about an hour + out, with most of that time standing in the sun. After riding it later I really wished we had stayed in that line! 😕. The guy behind us tried to tell us not to leave as he said that would be the shortest line all day. Oh well. We’ll get back on it some day!

I also agree with your sentiments on AK overall - it was definitely a full day park experience and being there at night was very cool. Expedition Everest at night was a completely different and exhilerating experience for all of us, even if the Yeti is still just hanging there! At least you can see him better at night!

fractal

Original Poster
Wow first what a beautiful family and second OMG your pictures are stunning. WDW should be paying you to use those in their ads

Thank you @NRL2003 !

Got back from WDW a week ago and I had to pop back on here to tell you that Yia Yia was right about Flight of Passage - it was AMAZING!! I shared her story with my family before going on and they all agreed with her too! We only got to do it once because the line is still crazy long ... we had a fast pass for a 7:45 PM return but tried to also rope drop it, only we bailed when we were told that we were still about an hour + out, with most of that time standing in the sun. After riding it later I really wished we had stayed in that line! 😕. The guy behind us tried to tell us not to leave as he said that would be the shortest line all day. Oh well. We’ll get back on it some day!

I also agree with your sentiments on AK overall - it was definitely a full day park experience and being there at night was very cool. Expedition Everest at night was a completely different and exhilerating experience for all of us, even if the Yeti is still just hanging there! At least you can see him better at night!

Glad you liked it as much as we did! Night time at AK is awesome!

Based on your prior trip reports I have to conclude that those are not your children posing perfectly;)

Lol! Not as easy as it looked. :D

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
No Disney trip this year, but we did manage to get all three children together for a trip to Rehoboth Beach!

_DSC3691-X3.jpg

Yes, WDW is in the plans for next year but I really want to go AFTER Star Wars Land opens and that looks to be later in the year. That may be a challenge.

You should have done a trip report for your vacation to Rehoboth Beach!!! Not quite the same as a Disney TR, but any Fractal TR is better than nothing!!!

BTW, our family does a week in Rehoboth almost every year. We love it there!!

fractal

Original Poster
You should have done a trip report for your vacation to Rehoboth Beach!!! Not quite the same as a Disney TR, but any Fractal TR is better than nothing!!!

BTW, our family does a week in Rehoboth almost every year. We love it there!!

Thanks, we had a good time there (for the most part)!

As far as a Trip Report - that would get me in too much trouble. :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom