Trip Report When can we do this again? A Fractal family Odyssey. *COMPLETED*

Definition of odyssey:
  • : a long journey full of adventures

• : a series of experiences that give knowledge or understanding to someone
Not too long ago I had a lot of doubt this trip would ever happen. The financial cost of higher education, the fact my wife Val wanted to go anywhere BUT Disney, the crazy and conflicting schedules of the kids, made the odds of keeping our 2-year WDW trip tradition a large long-shot. But maybe things do happen for a reason...

A great deal came our way and before we knew it we were on our way back to the World. Not without a major sacrifice however as my eldest daughter Alexandra had to miss the trip due to her schooling ( she graduates this Friday as an Registered Nurse!). She is a bit of a kindred spirit to me with a personality closer to mine than the other two, so I knew I would miss her dearly on the trip.

Here she is at Christmas with my Mom (Yia-Yia).

DSC05745-X2.jpg

Speaking of Yia-yia; she will join us again at WDW! We had a great time with her on our 2013 trip at the Poly. We would meet up with her, my Sister Marina (here with me)...

_DSC0720-XL.jpg

and my two nieces; Courtney...

_DSC0443-XL.jpg

and Mia...
DSC05736-X2.jpg

at the Yacht Club on the second leg of our journey. The first part of our trip took us to my in-law's (Al & Sue) who moved to Florida (Tampa - St. Pete area) last year. They would also join us at WDW!

Here they are from a 50th anniversary party we had for them last Winter...

DSC05476-X2.jpg

It was early evening Thursday July 20th when we began our Odyssey. My good friend Wally picked us up to take us to the Baltimore (BWI) airport.

DSC00007-XL.jpg

Excitement was building for our trip but the real Disney excitement would come later.

Sterg and Toni occupied the back seat. They were almost late for the pickup as they decided a last second Starbucks run was in order. Sterg ended up paying for that about an hour later as his bladder protested strongly.

DSC00006-XL.jpg

Val was next to me and could barely contain her enthusiasm.

DSC00008-XL.jpg

Not only was she not fully in favor of another Disney trip, she was (rightfully) concerned with the potential problems, complications, and stress of merging these 3 parts of the family together in the already chaotic environment of managing reservations, room assignments, getting to the parks, fastpasses and dinner plans. I had much of the same worries, which were also amplified by the fact Yia-Yia and Al would be using electric scooters during our time at the World. But hey, it's Disney, what could go wrong?

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
I feel your pain .... working around the "kids" schedule is hard to do.. we love fall but nothing falls in the same week... uggh! Hows nursing school going? My daughter finishing up her first year. Clinicals don't start until 4th semester...

Unfortunately, it looks like scheduling a trip will all the kids is only going to get harder. We did have all of them home for Easter however! (too bad I missed focus on the photo).

_DSC8870-X2.jpg

Alex graduated with a BSN last August and is now happily employed at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center working in the trauma and detox unit :eek:

Good luck to your daughter!

Somehow I missed this post when you originally did it and just now saw this about the Tiki Room. This is one of my favorites and I'm going to have to show this video to my family. They make fun of me for how much I love it. I guess it's because it was one of the first things I experienced when we went to Disneyland in my youth way back in 1970 (yes, I'm that old!). My DIL is a big WDW fan, and whenever she goes, she texts me a picture from the Tiki room. Now I need to get back to enjoy it again (with a Dole Whip!!). Thanks again for putting that together and sharing!

I love the Tiki room and is also one of my favorites! My pleasure - enjoy the Dole Whip!

38053WDW

Unfortunately, it looks like scheduling a trip will all the kids is only going to get harder. We did have all of them home for Easter however! (too bad I missed focus on the photo).

_DSC8870-X2.jpg

Alex graduated with a BSN last August and is now happily employed at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center working in the trauma and detox unit :eek:

I love the Tiki room and is also one of my favorites! My pleasure - enjoy the Dole Whip!

Congrats to her! One thing that keeps her motivated is Disney.. It's not always cheap (the way we go). Get a good stable job.

HouCuseChickie

WOW! Great TR! Yes...I just went through ALL of it! (hey...I've been kind of MIA on here) Now let's see if I can even remember a fraction of the things that came to mind.

First off, phenomenal pictures!!! I do know what you mean though about how much of it is knowing what you're doing and not just having a great camera and lenses. Admittedly, while I upgraded my camera and added a couple of lenses, I never devoted much time to trying to get the most out of it (at least not yet). My heart sunk for you with the whole loss of your lens. Also crazy about the photo that caused that big mess. Sad how some people can get.

I also had a bizarre moment when I got to your statement about Hurricane Harvey. I realize it's not a Disney part of the report, but it made me go back to my videos...like what was Aug 27th like when I went outside.

Also just fun seeing the pics over the years of you and your family at Disney. Amazing how time flies, but so much happiness and success for them over the years. Crazy to see that Alex has graduated and is working as a nurse while Sterg is now 21! Oh, and that Owl City song...one of my faves too! Not sure if I should credit Wreck it Ralph or Paint the Night for me loving it...but it's great!

I know I'm forgetting a million and one things, but thanks for sharing your trip! Really awesome report :)

MinnieM123

Premium Member

It must have been fun for you and your wife to have the three of them home on Easter. Your kids have always been so photogenic, so it's really easy for you to take pictures of them--either in, or out of focus! :)

fractal

Original Poster
WOW! Great TR! Yes...I just went through ALL of it! (hey...I've been kind of MIA on here) Now let's see if I can even remember a fraction of the things that came to mind.

First off, phenomenal pictures!!! I do know what you mean though about how much of it is knowing what you're doing and not just having a great camera and lenses. Admittedly, while I upgraded my camera and added a couple of lenses, I never devoted much time to trying to get the most out of it (at least not yet). My heart sunk for you with the whole loss of your lens. Also crazy about the photo that caused that big mess. Sad how some people can get.

I also had a bizarre moment when I got to your statement about Hurricane Harvey. I realize it's not a Disney part of the report, but it made me go back to my videos...like what was Aug 27th like when I went outside.

Also just fun seeing the pics over the years of you and your family at Disney. Amazing how time flies, but so much happiness and success for them over the years. Crazy to see that Alex has graduated and is working as a nurse while Sterg is now 21! Oh, and that Owl City song...one of my faves too! Not sure if I should credit Wreck it Ralph or Paint the Night for me loving it...but it's great!

I know I'm forgetting a million and one things, but thanks for sharing your trip! Really awesome report :)

Thanks for the kind words @HouCuseChickie ! I'm currently enjoying your report. What camera did you get? Photography is definitely a hobby to grow into as there is so much to learn. I think that's what makes such a great endeavor - the challenge.

Time does fly - I know you see it with your daughters. Enjoy them while they're young!

It must have been fun for you and your wife to have the three of them home on Easter. Your kids have always been so photogenic, so it's really easy for you to take pictures of them--either in, or out of focus! :)

It really was nice - thanks @MinnieM123 !

HouCuseChickie

Thanks for the kind words @HouCuseChickie ! I'm currently enjoying your report. What camera did you get? Photography is definitely a hobby to grow into as there is so much to learn. I think that's what makes such a great endeavor - the challenge.

I wound up getting a Canon 80D. It got decent ratings as a mid-level DSLR and is certainly a big step up from my Rebel XS that was circa 2009. I'm hoping to have a slower pace for our summer vacation so that I can devote more time to manual settings without getting an earful about dragging behind. I might even get to use my tripod!

It didn't take long before complications materialized as quickly as spirits in the Haunted Mansion. The strain of the large coffee began taking its toll on Sterg - right at the time we were stuck in traffic with nowhere to "go". He bravely proclaimed he would sweat it out until the airport but 30 minutes later and still 30 minutes away from BWI he was ready to burst. I asked Wally if he would mind if Sterg made use of an empty water bottle in his car...

"Sure, no problem. When you have to go..."

Toni pulled her blanket over her head and a few minutes later the smile returned to Sterg's face.

The traffic came to a near stop which gave us the next worry about making our flight ; that is until Val received a text that it was delayed from 8pm to 9:30pm. Another problem solved! But it created a new one as Al & Sue were scheduled to pick us up at the Tampa airport. Val called her Mom to keep her abreast of our new schedule.

Wally dropped us off and we promptly checked our bags and started the wait in the TSA line discussing where we would grab a bite to eat. As we approached the agent that checks your ID and boarding pass I caught a glimpse of Sterg furiously fidgeting with his wallet.

"Oh crap, I forgot my driver's license." He blurted out.

"What?" I said in true disbelief.

"I was going through my wallet to make it lighter for the trip and my license must have fell out..."

"Are you kidding me?" Val added.

He was not kidding. I had no idea how this was going to work out with TSA. He had to go with a special officer, answer a bunch of questions and do additional screening while we stood watching and helpless. Turns out he got through the line faster than we did.

Another text from Southwest. Flight now delayed until 10:30.

Well, plenty of time to eat (and drink?). We ate at the Dinner in BWI which was actually very good. Things lightened up and we had several funny conversations.

Another text from Southwest. Flight back on time for 8pm. "What?!!" We were now boarding in 10 minutes! We scrambled to our gate but something didn't seem right to me. I checked and discovered they moved the gate for our flight! We grabbed our bags and ran to the new gate. We were there in time but a bit frazzled.

DSC00010-X2.jpg

It was at this point I started to get the wrath of the rest of the crew. I completely forgot to check-in the night before at 8pm, only to do so after I woke wide-eyed from a dead sleep at 2am. All of our boarding passes had the dreaded "C" on them.

"Chris, how many times did I remind you to check-in at 8?" Val scolded.

"Daaaad. Why are you doing this to me? I don't want to sit alone." Toni added as if I was feeding her to wolves.

"Yo Pops, not cool." Mister "forgot his ID" piled on.

Well, somehow we all survived the flight despite being split up. Al and Sue were prompt on their pick up and 30 minutes later we were at their new home!

Coming up; things start to get better.

With an awful work week and dealing with nonsense at home, this is the first time today I cracked a smile reading your comment " "Yo Pops, not cool." Mister "forgot his ID" piled on" Thank you! :) Loving the report so far

fractal

Original Poster
I wound up getting a Canon 80D. It got decent ratings as a mid-level DSLR and is certainly a big step up from my Rebel XS that was circa 2009. I'm hoping to have a slower pace for our summer vacation so that I can devote more time to manual settings without getting an earful about dragging behind. I might even get to use my tripod!

Definitely a step up from the Rebel. Amazing how fast camera technology has advanced in the last 10 years! Going to manual settings was frustrating at first for me - and resulted in a bunch of terrible shots, but was the best teacher.

With an awful work week and dealing with nonsense at home, this is the first time today I cracked a smile reading your comment " "Yo Pops, not cool." Mister "forgot his ID" piled on" Thank you! :) Loving the report so far
Glad I could help! Hope the weekend is better and thanks for reading!

Finally finished reading the report! I am more of a creeper than a poster but this time I had to comment on your TR. I started reading the report last week and since then I have been trying to finish it in between work, my read while having lunch and dinner and for the past two nights, my bedtime read. My husband has even caught me laughing out loud at some of the comments. What I enjoy the most was the family interaction and dynamics. The joy and love for your family especially the kiddies. Sterg is just like his dad with the sense of humor and both the girls have Val’s beautiful smile. Yia Yia is a hoot, love her zest for life.

As for pictures, there are no words. I absolutely love the details from AK and World Showcase and those HEA Firework shots – Wow! Spectacular..
My next step of action: 1. Reading your other TRs 2. Watch your channel on YouTube 3. Dust off the DLSR and invest some time and effort into learning to take some amazing pictures before our November trip

Thank you again for sharing your family’s trip with us :)

fractal

Original Poster
Finally finished reading the report! I am more of a creeper than a poster but this time I had to comment on your TR. I started reading the report last week and since then I have been trying to finish it in between work, my read while having lunch and dinner and for the past two nights, my bedtime read. My husband has even caught me laughing out loud at some of the comments. What I enjoy the most was the family interaction and dynamics. The joy and love for your family especially the kiddies. Sterg is just like his dad with the sense of humor and both the girls have Val’s beautiful smile. Yia Yia is a hoot, love her zest for life.

As for pictures, there are no words. I absolutely love the details from AK and World Showcase and those HEA Firework shots – Wow! Spectacular..
My next step of action: 1. Reading your other TRs 2. Watch your channel on YouTube 3. Dust off the DLSR and invest some time and effort into learning to take some amazing pictures before our November trip

Thank you again for sharing your family’s trip with us :)

Thanks @Queen "Arora" , very much appreciated! I hope your trip planning is going well. :)

eliza61nyc

_DSC8870-X2.jpg

Awesome and Congratulations!!

lol unfortunately I am very familiar with the medical center, University of Pittsburgh was my alma mater and I was into gymnastics. Translation: I was forever breaking, bruising or bumping some part of my body.

Totally understand the family trip issues, my youngest who we lovingly call Minion #2 is graduating from Temple U in Philly in 1 month. As a gift we're going down with his brothers, my nephew and my neice. :jawdrop: 4- 20 somethings at wdw and me. You guys starting praying for me now.

fractal

Original Poster
Awesome and Congratulations!!

lol unfortunately I am very familiar with the medical center, University of Pittsburgh was my alma mater and I was into gymnastics. Translation: I was forever breaking, bruising or bumping some part of my body.

Totally understand the family trip issues, my youngest who we lovingly call Minion #2 is graduating from Temple U in Philly in 1 month. As a gift we're going down with his brothers, my nephew and my neice. :jawdrop: 4- 20 somethings at wdw and me. You guys starting praying for me now.

Thanks @eliza61nyc !

I can only imagine what gymnastics can do to your body.

Congrats to Minion#2 - Temple's a great school! That actually sounds like a really fun trip to me, but I'll still pray. :D

disneyny

I haven't been posting much lately but I had to let you know how much I am enjoying your trip report. I have been reading your reports for years and I can't believe how grown up your kids have gotten. Time really does move so quickly and it looks like you take the time to really enjoy your family. I must say your son, and your writing about your son, is one of the best parts! You two are hilarious. I love reading your reports and love the pictures- thanks for sharing!

fractal

Original Poster
I haven't been posting much lately but I had to let you know how much I am enjoying your trip report. I have been reading your reports for years and I can't believe how grown up your kids have gotten. Time really does move so quickly and it looks like you take the time to really enjoy your family. I must say your son, and your writing about your son, is one of the best parts! You two are hilarious. I love reading your reports and love the pictures- thanks for sharing!

Thanks for reading and the nice words @disneyny ! Time does fly, which makes me glad I wrote these Trip Reports. Sterg and I are leaving soon to go see Infinity War so maybe another funny story as there always seems to be some sort of adventure along the way. :rolleyes:

Songbird76

I'm betting SW:GE will be a nightmare for at least a year. That's why we're going next Summer BEFORE it opens, then we'll wait a few years before going back for SW. I made the mistake of going to WWoHP a month after it opened in 2010. Wall to wall people and there were wait times just to get into the shops. 45 minute to 1 hour wait to get into the main shop that had wands and then it was so packed you couldn't even get up to the wands and I got clobbered when someone literally jumped up and reached over my head to try to grab the wand they wanted. I have no desire to go through that again with SW:GE.
SW is WAY more popular than Avatar...think how busy Pandora was when it first opened, and it's still pretty crowded from what I see online...now imagine how many more fans SW has. No thank you....I'll wait for that to die down!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom