When another Guest ruins an experience/attraction for you

graphite1326

Offered you no help/no thanks/no sympathy whatsoever??? Kids have temper tantrums at random times and it mostly can't be helped. I don't have kids but I know what's up.
tenor.gif

I swear I have more patience for kids at parks than I do adults...
My kids never through temper tantrums so I don't know what it is like. It really is hard for me to understand.

allgiggles

Grew up to be nice young men. They NEVER did throw temper tantrums.

You are very lucky. I have five kids (late teens and adults now), and while they've all grown up to be great human beings, they all threw temper tantrums as toddlers/preschoolers -- some more than others, but they all had them. And I majored in Childhood development so I knew what the books all said I should do to prevent/lesson the tantrums, but apparently my kids didn't read the books. :D Fortunately most of my kids learned very quickly that the temper tantrum was not going to produce the results they were hoping for. But I also know that a tantrum isn't about a child not getting their way...there can be so many other underlying causes. We became pretty good at avoiding situations that we knew would cause a meltdown by the time baby #5 came along....though she still gave us a run for our money. I'm totally sympathetic to parents having to deal with a temper-tantrum throwing child in public. So many people think it's just a spoiled child not getting their way. It's not. Well, sometimes it is, but many times it's not.

ninjaprincesst

You are very lucky. I have five kids (late teens and adults now), and while they've all grown up to be great human beings, they all threw temper tantrums as toddlers/preschoolers -- some more than others, but they all had them. And I majored in Childhood development so I knew what the books all said I should do to prevent/lesson the tantrums, but apparently my kids didn't read the books. :D Fortunately most of my kids learned very quickly that the temper tantrum was not going to produce the results they were hoping for. But I also know that a tantrum isn't about a child not getting their way...there can be so many other underlying causes. We became pretty good at avoiding situations that we knew would cause a meltdown by the time baby #5 came along....though she still gave us a run for our money. I'm totally sympathetic to parents having to deal with a temper-tantrum throwing child in public. So many people think it's just a spoiled child not getting their way. It's not. Well, sometimes it is, but many times it's not.
Most of the time its not a spoiled child its parents who refuse to discipline .My daughter also never threw temper tantrums, but she knew that I would not tolerate it, so I guess she just never bothered.

KBLovedDisney

Most of the time its not a spoiled child its parents who refuse to discipline .My daughter also never threw temper tantrums, but she knew that I would not tolerate it, so I guess she just never bothered.
Well that may be the case most of the time (and I have witnessed many kids at Disney who throw tantrums while their parents look the other way), but sometimes parents aren't able to calm down a kid when they get that sudden burst of energy they can't get rid of.

I have a young cousin like this. 2 sips of sweet tea or a little bit of something sugary and you can't calm her down for the life of ya. She will go into happy/scream-y/excited/throwing tantrum mode and there is nothing you can do to calm her down. Some kids don't have an off switch and you just got to let them run out of steam.

allgiggles

Well that may be the case most of the time (and I have witnessed many kids at Disney who throw tantrums while their parents look the other way), but sometimes parents aren't able to calm down a kid when they get that sudden burst of energy they can't get rid of.

I have a young cousin like this. 2 sips of sweet tea or a little bit of something sugary and you can't calm her down for the life of ya. She will go into happy/scream-y/excited/throwing tantrum mode and there is nothing you can do to calm her down. Some kids don't have an off switch and you just got to let them run out of steam.

Yep, I agree. Sometimes it has absolutely nothing to do with the parents or discipline. Sometimes it's a child who doesn't know how or isn't able to deal with a stressor that comes their way. My youngest child was that way. It had nothing to do with discipline. It had everything to do with how she perceived a situation. No amount of discipline could stop her meltdowns and punishing her wasn't helping her to learn how to deal with the issue (I'm not talking about a child having a meltdown because they weren't allowed to get candy at the checkout counter). I'm sure there were plenty of parents who watched us try to calm her in a public place and judged us for not disciplining her they way they felt she should be disciplined. She was definitely a huge reminder to us to not judge other parents if you haven't walked in their shoes (or raised their child). It's very easy to judge others when you're only looking at a snapshot of their lives but can't see the big picture. The good news is that through a lot of trial and error and reading, we figured out how to help her and give her the tools she needed to work through her frustrations and the meltdowns became much less frequent. I *wish* it would have been a simple solution like discipline. I'm just glad that 4 out of 5 of our kids just had the standard meltdowns that could be stopped with a simple evil eye glance. If I had 5 kids with the type of meltdowns my youngest child had....well...lets just say we probably wouldn't have 5 kids. :D

And just to bring this thread back on topic.... Our youngest child has only had a handful of meltdowns during her 5 trips to Disney since we had already had a pretty good handle on helping her through them by the`time she made her first trip there. I'm confident we didn't ruin anyone's vacation when they happened. :)

KBLovedDisney

You must have quite the angelical kids.

Even my cats throw temper tantrums...
(Not my cat but a good representation)
crazy-funny-cats-07.gif
They also like to do this at about 3am....every night. o_O

All 4 of them running through the house, one after the other. I swear it sounds like we have miniature horses running through the house at 3 o'clock in the morning.

danyoung56

It's one thing for a child to have a meltdown and the parent deals with it, either through punishment or cajoling - whatever works. It's quite another to see a child having a meltdown and the idiot parents just ignore it and pretend the child doesn't exist. I had a horrible dinner a few years ago in the Coral Reef. At the next table over, a little 4 year old girl was sitting UNDER the table, screaming at the top of her lungs, while the parents sipped their drinks and ignored her. This went on for about 25 minutes, during which I wanted to slap the parents into dealing with this.

KBLovedDisney

It's one thing for a child to have a meltdown and the parent deals with it, either through punishment or cajoling - whatever works. It's quite another to see a child having a meltdown and the idiot parents just ignore it and pretend the child doesn't exist. I had a horrible dinner a few years ago in the Coral Reef. At the next table over, a little 4 year old girl was sitting UNDER the table, screaming at the top of her lungs, while the parents sipped their drinks and ignored her. This went on for about 25 minutes, during which I wanted to slap the parents into dealing with this.
When we were in HS waiting for the Star Wars mid-day show, there were like 3 or 4 kids next to us, parents kept walking off. One kid decided to use the younger one's stroller as a racing vehicle, and kept running into other people. The younger kid was screaming because the older kid took the stroller. Where were the parents? One was on her phone off in the distance and the dad was buying himself an ice cream cone...

Jacquellie

After two years of planning, we finally got to stay at Sequoia Lodge, DLRP, last month. We stepped out onto the decking at dusk, drinks in hand, castle in the distance, fire pit lit, DD being entertained by a cast member just inside the door. "This is it, the experience I've been longing for," I thought, pulling up a deck chair and looking at the view. Me and my DH sat down and immediately the loud, drunk, matriarch at the next table started shouting in the roughest cockney accent at her assorted entourage, all eight of whom were on their mobile phones. "Ask im if he's killed any chickens yet" she was yelling at a teenager on the phone. They then carried on shouting into their phones and at each other about horrid topics, totally ruining the moment for everyone. I resented it so much as it's only about the third time me and my DH have been out at night together in six years. I'd been so looking forward to the romantic setting of the lodge, and it could have all been so perfect. I'm English, but I'm so ashamed of how some fellow Brits can ruin things on holiday. I'm still spitting about it now

ninjaprincesst

Yes you can I guarantee you they bust her butt for it one time and she will think twice before she does it again. All this stop that that ugly is insane and pointless.

Incomudro

Offered you no help/no thanks/no sympathy whatsoever??? Kids have temper tantrums at random times and it mostly can't be helped. I don't have kids but I know what's up.
tenor.gif

I swear I have more patience for kids at parks than I do adults...
Usually kids behaving badly are doing so because of poor parenting.
So I have little patience for either the kids or the parents.
I make the distinction between behaving badly, and having fun.
I expect kids to have fun, especially in a theme park.

Rapunzel287

You guys, thank you so much! :inlove:
When another guest ruins my experience (my favorites are still flash light in a dark ride, an ipad right infront of my face during fireworks and a foot in my back during shows) I always want to say something really witty but usually I'm way too flabbergasted to say anything at all at this moment.
After reading all your stories and the different ways you reacted / answered to those annoying persons I feel well prepared for my next trip ;).

John park hopper

Having raised 3 boys there were times when one of them would have a melt down and there was no way to get through to them, a swat on the butt or bribe did not work. If we were in a public setting -- restaurant --either I or DW would remove them so as not to disturb other people. Like you I have no tolerance for parents who are not parents and have no business having kids in the first place. The Coral Reef manager should have spoken to the parents immediately.

Last edited:

ninjaprincesst

Yep, I agree. Sometimes it has absolutely nothing to do with the parents or discipline. Sometimes it's a child who doesn't know how or isn't able to deal with a stressor that comes their way. My youngest child was that way. It had nothing to do with discipline. It had everything to do with how she perceived a situation. No amount of discipline could stop her meltdowns and punishing her wasn't helping her to learn how to deal with the issue (I'm not talking about a child having a meltdown because they weren't allowed to get candy at the checkout counter). I'm sure there were plenty of parents who watched us try to calm her in a public place and judged us for not disciplining her they way they felt she should be disciplined. She was definitely a huge reminder to us to not judge other parents if you haven't walked in their shoes (or raised their child). It's very easy to judge others when you're only looking at a snapshot of their lives but can't see the big picture. The good news is that through a lot of trial and error and reading, we figured out how to help her and give her the tools she needed to work through her frustrations and the meltdowns became much less frequent. I *wish* it would have been a simple solution like discipline. I'm just glad that 4 out of 5 of our kids just had the standard meltdowns that could be stopped with a simple evil eye glance. If I had 5 kids with the type of meltdowns my youngest child had....well...lets just say we probably wouldn't have 5 kids. :D

And just to bring this thread back on topic.... Our youngest child has only had a handful of meltdowns during her 5 trips to Disney since we had already had a pretty good handle on helping her through them by the`time she made her first trip there. I'm confident we didn't ruin anyone's vacation when they happened. :)
That is all abunch of excuses for letting a kid be a brat, sorry she a brat. All these parents these days just make up this stressor and meltdown stuff its called being a brat, and if you use displine them they will stop, period the end. Its just this stop that crap us just that crap, if you actually discipline them they will stop, and if you raise them right they wont have temper tantrums, there is no such thing as melt downs, its brats having a meltdown. My daughter is 18 now,not one temper tantrum ever in 18 years, I never had to spank her ever, she was just raised to know how to behave.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom