When and where was your first resort stay?

Frees Fan

Hey guys! I'm just curious as to when your first visit and resort stay was and what on-site hotel.

My first visit was in 1975 and my family stayed in the garden wings of the Contemporary. It was great. Back then they had a HUGE gameroom filled with video games and pinball machines. They even had the "world's largest pinball machine". I didn't like the pools though. They had two...one round and one square. The pool at the Poly was mich nicer with waterfalls and a slide.

Just curious about your first stay.

Thanks in advance for all the replies!

:wave:

jcraycraft

First on-site stay was at Ft. Wilderness Campground in 1973, I can remember going to the Ploy to swim..... Cant remember if Ft. Wilderness had a pool in 73??? :veryconfu

Upvote 0

aimster

Well, these are technically on Disney property, but I don't know if they'd really "count". Both were in 2000... I stayed at the Grosvenor Resort and the Hilton by Downtown Disney. But I wasn't there to visit the parks.... I was there for concerts at House of Blues (July 2000) and Pleasure Island (New Year's Eve 2000).

I'd love to stay at the Conremporary someday. Ever since I was a kid I've loved how the monorail goes right through the middle of the place.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Yea, I'm Old

First trip was November of 1973, stayed at the Poly, and couldn't get enought of wandering the grounds, listening to the music and seeing the tiki's and torches. It was only the second time that I saw palm trees outside.

The airport was half the size and you just drove through swamp, pastures and orange groves until you got on the property. The area that is now Downtown Disney was a couple of small stores and one restaurant (Princess Lilly I think).

Although I've been many times since, I always have that image when I compare development that I see now. Disney brought ALL of that and some locals still complain they should do more.

Upvote 0

Joy

My first trip to WDW was in 1979 when my family first moved to Florida shortly after my 4th birthday. I don't remember where we stayed, but I seem to remember that you had to use tickets to ride the attactions at that time- does anyone know when they stopped using the tickets?

I went to WDW many times growing up, but mostly for day trips, or just staying in motels. My first time staying on property was in 1994 or so- I stayed at the Port Orleans French Quarter with my grandmother - we loved it- it is a cherished memory for the 2 of us! :)

Upvote 0

disneydawg

I believe my first trip was around 1983 because Epcot was still pretty new, I dont remember it that well because I was quite small. My first on-site resort stay was in 1995 at Port Orleans French Quarter (then just called Port Orleans).

Upvote 0

big stitch

MY WIFE AND I STAYED AT THE ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE ON OUR HONEYMOON WHICH WAS OUR FIRST STAY ON PROPERTY. IT WAS GREAT! WE ARE RETURN FOR OUR ANNIVERSARY IN OCT AND WE ARE STAYING THERE AGAIN.

Upvote 0

swimmom

My first visit was in 1972. We stayed at my grandparents in Dunedin, FL. My first on-site stay was in 1974. We had a room in the Garden Wing of the Contemporary.

Upvote 0

Gucci65

My first visit was in 1973, we lived in Sanford at the time.

First on-site stay was in 1994 right after All-Star Sports opened up. Have not strayed off property since.

Upvote 0

JohnMan

My first resort stay was at the Polynesian in 1978. I was five then. We had a room with a lagoon view and I think it cost only $40/night.

I still remember getting freaked out when the electrical water pageant went by. Man was I a wuss at 5 :cry:

Upvote 0

dodgr98

In the Parks
No
My 1st stay was at Christmas 1975. We stayed at The Golf Resort which is now the Shades Of Green Resort. The funniest thing I remember was at the breakfast buffet they had what the lady behind the counter called "smokingfish." My mom was amazed, I was too, we didn't know that fish smoked. Fortunately there was another employee who was there to translate into "northerner" for us. It was actually smoked king fish. It was funny, you should been there.:lol:

Upvote 0

pooh071567

Our first visit was in March of 1997. We stayed at the Carribean Beach. I can't explain the excitement we felt when we woke up, looked out the window and saw Spaceship earth. It was a great trip!

Upvote 0

nmj91385

My first on site stay was in December of 1998. We stayed at Dixie Landings and loved it. We have stayed on site ever since. It's cheap and convenient to have the buses and package delievery.

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
My first stay was with my family in 1985 at Fort Wilderness. My parents had an RV and we parked that at FW.

It was just myself, my younger sister, and my mom and dad. It was fun. Our parents let us free roam and do whatever we wanted, just be back at specific times for dinners and other scheduled events.

One of my fondest moments in my life spending some really good quality time with my sister. I was in 11th grade, and my sister was in 9th. We had a blast.

The rest of my vacation stays are listed in my sig, but I've stayed in Orlando and Tampa many, many times over the years for buisness trips, and I always end up at Disney every night. :D

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom