Wheelchairs

2much2do

Hi,
We are going to be traveling with my mother who has arthritis. She seems to think she will need a wheelchair even though she had arthritis last time and didn't need one. I am kind of annoyed about this, cuz I feel like it is going to be a big hassle to push her around. We are already going to have to push the baby in the stroller. I am figuring we can just stop and rest when she needs to. Besides, there are a lot of sitting down rides and benches restaurants, etc. I will also have my ten month old daughter with me so we will have to stop for nursing and diaper changing, etc. But at the same time, I understand if she is in pain. So, here is my question:
Have any of you ever traveled with a person in a wheelchair? How hard is it? Will it really get in the way? Should we rent one at the resort or at the parks? How much are they? What about those electric thingys. They are a lot of $$$$ aren't they? What do we do with it during parades and Fantasmic and Illuminations?

Any advice, tips would be great. Thanks!

PS She normally gets around just fine with her cane. We have spent hours and hours walking the mall and she has no problem.

We went with my grandmother in 2000 and she used a wheelchair. I don't remember what the cost was. It was difficult to push around, but, the benefit is the whole party gets to skip the lines!!!! :sohappy: Hope this hels, and have a great trip.

Upvote 0

niteobsrvr

The scoop on Wheel Chairs.

Let Mom have one. walking on two feet can sometimes be so challenging in the parks because of inconsiderate people. I cant imagine what it would be like to use a cane.

They are available at all parks and resorts. The cost is 8 Dollars. 7 of that is the rental fee and 1 dollar is the deposit.

The electric thingy has a 10 deposit and a 30 dollar rental fee and is only available at the parks.

The rental is for the entire day. If you are park hopping and get your chair at one of the parks make sure you keep the receipt with you when you go to the next park so that you can get a chair there without paying and additional money.

Also, check with your Disney resort. I beleive the chairs you can get there are permitted to be taken from park to park and kept for the duration of your stay.

As for transportation, most disney transport vehicles are accessilbe via ramps or wheelchair lifts. Also, since Mom gets around ok without the chair, you best bet on the busses is to have her walk on and tell the driver you will be folding it up. Just ask him to open up the backdoor cause that is the only one you can easily get a wheelchair through.

Also, if you can, bring a smaller stroller vs a large one. they fit on the buses better.

All of the parades and shows have special viewing areas for folks in wheelchairs and their families so no need to worry there. Just check with guest relations for the locations if you arent sure where they are located.

P.S. - Strollers must be folded on busses at all times. Wheel chairs must be folded or strapped down if occupied.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Do you have enough adults so that one can push the stroller, and the other the wheelchair? If so, rent the chair. From the way you describe her infirmity,she probably won't need one at the resort, just at the park. That might make transportation easier. Also, it is less tiring (for you) to walk through the parks pushing something...sort of like a walker! The rides/attractions are generally pretty accessible, especially since she can walk independently.

I've used a wheelchair for my mom in the past, and also let her walk. My dad, who had severe arthritis, refused to use one. Trust me, the chances of your baby and mom needing "rest" stops at the same time are pretty slim! I think you'll get frustrated, and wish you had the chair!! (I did!) Since she is willing to use it, I would let her. Walking around WDW is not quite the same as the mall. ;)

Upvote 0

Debbie

My beloved mother-in-law has diabetes and needs a wheelchair due to circulation problems with her legs. We started out with a push chair the first day and half way through we decided it was too hard and got the motorized one. It is worth the money and she feels better about it and my little one at the time could ride too! She is bringing us for Christmas to WDW( so she says) and we will use the same chairs. The only time a motorized one is a hassle is when the parks are packed and she can't get through the crowds.

Upvote 0

goaler

We took my Mom and Dad in January for my Mom's 60th birthday. She has had RA for quite a few years, but does get around without a cane. She felt a little embarrased about using a wheelchair, so we just left it up to her. On the third day we went to EPCOT and she decided to use a wheelchair. It wasn't a problem getting around, and the rest of us took turns pushing. I highly recommend a wheelchair, especially if your Mom thinks that she needs one. She will be more comfortable which should make everyones trip more enjoyable.

By the way, my Mom wouldn't let us go through the handicap lines. She isn't handicapped! So we stood in the regular lines, fortunately in Jan they are not long. However, by the end of the day when we were queing up to watch the Tapestry parade and Reflections we did get to stand in the wheelchair zone which has a great view for both.

Upvote 0

Mulan208

:lol: I would go with the wheelchair. My daughter has spinal problems and after walking just a little while she starts to exhibit pain and can't walk. She even had to lie down on a bench at EPCOT one time. The first time we went she decided she didn't want to rent one (let someone who really needs it have it) and we could not have been in the park 15 minutes and we had to go back (leaving her on a bench) and rent one. Your mom will be much more comfortable with the chair. Happy a Great time!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 5 MORE DAYS to GO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Upvote 0

tiggerlover1971

yes get one we rent the motorized for my mom and she gets to move at her own pace the only problem with that is the walk from the buses to the entrance of epcot was way to long and we had to keep stopping while my mom walked so we could get the chair but if we had the regular wheelchair we could have had it from the hotel

Upvote 0

Holly

Originally posted by tiggerlover1971
yes get one we rent the motorized for my mom and she gets to move at her own pace the only problem with that is the walk from the buses to the entrance of epcot was way to long and we had to keep stopping while my mom walked so we could get the chair but if we had the regular wheelchair we could have had it from the hotel

You can also rent a scooter from an outside source - they'll bring it to your hotel the day of check in and pick it up on your departure day. The rate was comparable to Disney's - $30 per day.

If your mom feels like she needs assistance - by all means get her some.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom