Wheelchairs at resorts

emmasgigi

I'm taking my 79 year old Mom to WDW for her first visit in December and I was told I could request a wheelchair at the resort to use for the week.Is this true?If so what condition are they in?Should I risk it or should I just strap hers to the top of the ole mini van?:lol: :xmas: :veryconfu

The Mom

Premium Member
How mobile is your grandmother? I used the one provided by the resort for my mother when she was 82. She uses a walker or cane at home, so she was able to get out of the chair to walk short distances, sit at a table, etc. I don't think it would have been very comfortable if she had to sit in it all of the time.

The chair was in good condition, had footrests, but the legs could not be moved. (She had to sit with her legs down the whole time.)

Upvote 0

DDuckFan130

If there's wheelchairs available, they will provide you with one at the resorts. You just have to ask. We took my grandma in May (she's 75 and had undergone open-heart surgery last December) and she did fine with it. Here's a picture of her in the AS Music wheelchair at the Emporium in the MK :)

grandma.JPG

Upvote 0

pinjim

Power scooter

I'd suggest a power scooter. If Disney has one, the request it, otherwise look into renting one. I'm sure Disney can suggest a dealer. My father uses one out of need. He has limited mobility, but for all the walking at WDW, the power scooter would be my suggestion.

Upvote 0

barrettnichols

Scooter worked Great!

We got a scooter for my mother a few years ago. Rented it from a local place that was talked about on WDWIG. When we got to the resort it was waiting for us in the luggage storag area. Worked real good. Packed it up and re-assembled it numerous times, fit easy in the back of a mini van. Was a great idea. End of the trip, left it in the baggage area and got the bill when we got back. No complaints!

Upvote 0
First time I went to Disney I was recovering from a knee fracture and walking long distances was a real issue, so we arranged one of the wheelchairs and it did us proud.

Couple of things worth noting:

1) The Disney wheelchairs are not the most comforable in the world, and I found that repeated small adjustments were needed to stop aches in places I didn't know I had :lol:. That said, I imagine that it's be the case for all "generic" wheelchairs.

2) Some rides were just not accessable in a wheelchair (though I imagine the ones that weren't won't be of interest to your mom anyway).

As I remember they were pretty cheap to rent but you had to leave a deposit as well (which was refunded of course, in either regular US or Disney Dollars).

Upvote 0

DDuckFan130

Jennih said:
First time I went to Disney I was recovering from a knee fracture and walking long distances was a real issue, so we arranged one of the wheelchairs and it did us proud.

Couple of things worth noting:

1) The Disney wheelchairs are not the most comforable in the world, and I found that repeated small adjustments were needed to stop aches in places I didn't know I had :lol:. That said, I imagine that it's be the case for all "generic" wheelchairs.

2) Some rides were just not accessable in a wheelchair (though I imagine the ones that weren't won't be of interest to your mom anyway).

As I remember they were pretty cheap to rent but you had to leave a deposit as well (which was refunded of course, in either regular US or Disney Dollars).
If they have them at the resort, they're free. Since we were able to get them, we never had to leave a deposit or anything. :lol:

Upvote 0
Jennih said:

My mom can't keep up with us (84) and uses a wheelchair only at WDW. She told me after this past trip that she won't go again if she has to sit in a chair. Your comments are going to make her so happy because she'll know that it's not her, but the chair that caused the pain she experienced. I had no idea they were so uncomfortable. Would a rented scooter be more comfortable for her and what do they run per day?

Upvote 0

emmasgigi

Original Poster
She walks with a cane at home so she is mobile just limited.I would love to rent a scooter for her but she refuses to drive one.I think the idea of me pushing her around for 6 days will be payback for my teenage years!!!:p

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

You might want to buy one of those gel pads for the wheelchair seat, it will definitely make it more comfortable. Here is the website http://www.momscatalog.com/. Don't push her into a scooter, if she is uncomfortable driving one, she might just run someone over by accident. I've seen far too many accidents in WDW with those things by people that don't know how to operate them.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
shoppingnut said:
You might want to buy one of those gel pads for the wheelchair seat, it will definitely make it more comfortable. Here is the website http://www.momscatalog.com/. Don't push her into a scooter, if she is uncomfortable driving one, she might just run someone over by accident. I've seen far too many accidents in WDW with those things by people that don't know how to operate them.

That's exactly why I didn't rent one for my mother. She has a really hard time assimilating any new information; for instance, she worked with computers from the early 60s until late 80s, but can't use a PC. Now, if she had to "keypunch" everything, she'd be fine. :lol: Just don't let her near a mouse.

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

The Yacht Club gave comp. wheelchairs for my two grandmothers. We did not need to leave a deposit either. My grandmother is mobile, but cannot walk longer distances swiftly. Therefore, we would wheel them around, but they were able to walk up the bus steps and we would fold the chairs to save everyone's time involved. We took the wheelchairs to all the parks and never felt that the chair would not be where we placed it when we left for an attraction. It was very helpful!

Upvote 0

Nemo14

The Mom said:
That's exactly why I didn't rent one for my mother. She has a really hard time assimilating any new information; for instance, she worked with computers from the early 60s until late 80s, but can't use a PC. Now, if she had to "keypunch" everything, she'd be fine. :lol: Just don't let her near a mouse.
not even Mickey?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom