Wheelchair Abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

DABIGCHEEZ

People have been posting as to why they needed a wheelchair or ECV....and no one needes ot know why they need one. The question is why does being in a wheelchair entitle your whole group to not have to wait in line? I am still wondering if anyone has the answer.:shrug:

Somehow I think they don't.

EvilQueen81

I don't mind when someone in a wheelchair skips the line with one other person but when they have 10 people it nots fair. What really makes me mad is when you are hot and tired and waiting for your bus and someone in a wheelchair comes up with 10 or 15 people and they all skip you, then fill up the bus and then you wait for another 20 minutes for it to happen again. That happened to us at AK in May we waited through 3 buses because of the entourage of people that boarded with the one in the wheel chair.:zipit:

Laura

People have been posting as to why they needed a wheelchair or ECV....and no one needes ot know why they need one. The question is why does being in a wheelchair entitle your whole group to not have to wait in line? I am still wondering if anyone has the answer.:shrug:

Somehow I think they don't.

If you were in a wheelchair, would you want to always be separated from your group? If your spouse was in a wheelchair, would you always want them to be off on their own instead of with your group?

There's no reason to split up groups. Honestly, they don't affect our wait times by enough that it should justify all this complaining.

If you were in a wheelchair, would you want to always be separated from your group? If your spouse was in a wheelchair, would you always want them to be off on their own instead of with your group?

There's no reason to split up groups. Honestly, they don't affect our wait times by enough that it should justify all this complaining.

Bravo! I couldnt have said it better! :D

DABIGCHEEZ

I am still waiting for a reason why that allows them to by pass the line. If I was in a wheelchair I would not expect that to allow my whole group to by pass the line. If the seperation is just waaaaaaaay to much for (two adults) perhaps the attendant could have them(the whole family) stay together and wait up front for the posted wait time ... then all can get on. Of course if a child were in the wheelchair a parent should stay with them.

If you come up with the reason ...... I am still waiting.

well the reason I am guessing is common sense, not to split up the family, it is only courtesy that WDW lets the other members go with the one in the chair. It is kind of ridiculous to expect someone in a wheelchair to have to experience the rides by themselves. I think someone else said it better to allow someone and members of their party to go with them, it doesnt make the wait times go longer.....ohhw well maybe a minute or two, but overall it shouldnt ruin your vacation
Most of us go on vacation to escape this sort of thing, when it happens that someone does cheat, or abuses the system, I just shrug it off, and dont let it bother my fun time

Laura

I am still waiting for a reason why that allows them to by pass the line. If I was in a wheelchair I would not expect that to allow my whole group to by pass the line. If the seperation is just waaaaaaaay to much for (two adults) perhaps the attendant could have them(the whole family) stay together and wait up front for the posted wait time ... then all can get on. Of course if a child were in the wheelchair a parent should stay with them.

The reason is obvious...that's how the queues are set up, nothing more than that. Disney is not out to get you and neither are people in wheelchairs. :shrug:

Also, in case you haven't noticed, there's several attractions where there are special ride vehicles to accommodate those in wheelchairs, so obviously the people have to be up near the front of the line to catch those vehicles when they come around.

The reasons are nothing more than logistics.

DABIGCHEEZ

well the reason I am guessing is common sense, not to split up the family, it is only courtesy that WDW lets the other members go with the one in the chair. It is kind of ridiculous to expect someone in a wheelchair to have to experience the rides by themselves. I think someone else said it better to allow someone and members of their party to go with them, it doesnt make the wait times go longer.....ohhw well maybe a minute or two, but overall it shouldnt ruin your vacation
Most of us go on vacation to escape this sort of thing, when it happens that someone does cheat, or abuses the system, I just shrug it off, and dont let it bother my fun time

Trust me I don't let it bother me either.... We have been to WDW many times and don't let it get to us. More of a why do they do that policy question.
You misunderstood to what I am searching for the reason.:brick: I understand the reason to not leave someone alone to wait(Although adults .. I don't see the problem). And I never said they should have to ride alone. The policy I am looking for a reason for is.... Why by Aunt Susie having whatever ailment she has, does she or the whole family not have to wait at all.
It is the not having to wait at all policy I am searching for the reason. Guess I'll still be waiting for the reason.

DABIGCHEEZ

The reason is obvious...that's how the queues are set up, nothing more than that. Disney is not out to get you and neither are people in wheelchairs. :shrug:
Also, in case you haven't noticed, there's several attractions where there are special ride vehicles to accommodate those in wheelchairs, so obviously the people have to be up near the front of the line to catch those vehicles when they come around.

The reasons are nothing more than logistics.

I know some rides have special vehicles but have also noticed others do not and have seen many a family climb into Splash Mountain boats for example with whole gang in tow, and I'm talking 2 boats full. I have also seen people in wheelchairs that don't want to wait for the special vehicle climb aboard the next regular vehicle. That is what I mean.

Never said anyone was out to get me or anyone else for that matter. WDW is for all to enjoy. I have been to WDW enough to not let it bother me, honestly. Just wondering why it is allowed.

Wilt Dasney

I just want to make sure I read this correctly. Is your suggestion that anyone with a wheelchair in their party should go to the front of the line, then stand off to the side for however long the posted wait time is before getting on the ride? If so, what on earth would that accomplish...outside of causing CM's to lose their minds trying to explain repeatedly over 30 or 40 minutes to a frustrated party why they have to arbitrarily wait to ride with no one in front of them even though they weren't required to queue up for the ride in the first place? I don't see a single positive outcome there, for anybody involved.

If I misinterpreted what you were suggesting, my bad.

i have to agree with this, i have been to disney world every year for the last 8 years and our last visit my daughter had fluid on her hip which caused her a lot of pain standing up for longer than 1 min so we had to rent a wheelchair from home but as much as i loved missing all the queues i was quite disgusted that just because my daughter was in a wheelchair it gave our whole family a ticket to bypass all queues, in some ways (no disrespect to disabled users) but i felt it was a discrimination to non disabled people in a sense.

when we went to mvmcp and we went to watch [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mickey's 'Twas the Night Before Christmas' Show in tomorrow land the show was packed and there was no more disabled areas free but as i said to my wife i didn't bother us as no matter where we sited, my daughter could see as her wheelchair was at the same height as the seating (so why people in the mobility scooters had front seat access i don't know[/FONT].) what made me so mad was when a man with his son in his wheelchair came like 4 min before the show was going to start and had a right go at the cm because all the front seat wheelchair areas was full and refused to seat anywhere else because his son was disabled (me and other parent (with another wheelchair user) just looked at each other gob smacked :eek: lol as i said before no mater where you where seated you could see lol. and then refused to move until the cm made room. i think the front seating area should have been chosen just for the for the deaf as they had lady signing all the words which was a nice added touch by disney.

i think if disney want to sort this problem then the disabled should go to the ride they want to get on and get like a fast pass so it should say return in (however long the queue was) so they are able to enjoy the park while they wait for there time slot (in some ways like parent pass) it felt so strange when splash mountain or say space mountain had a 40min waiting time and we just walked straight on and we even got the choice where we wanted to be seated on the ride :confused:

disneyfan56

Well, this is certainly an emotional subject.
Why should an entire party be allowed to go to the front of the line along with a handicapped person? Well my answer is why not? They may have the luxury of line-jumping, but you have the luxury of health.

Last summer we planned a trip down to disney a week before I was to have elective surgery. Up until that trip, I was a walking crazed fool in the parks, I loved and looked forward to using my muscles and feeling the pain at the end of a long day of walking. BUT the day before we were to leave, my results came back from the pre-op testing and I was severely anemic. Now I knew I had been feeling tired, but chalked it up to pre-disney planning.
My doctor advised that I could go into shock if I exherted too much energy or became dehydrated. She suggested using a wheelchair whenever possible.

I WAS DEVASTATED going to MK that first day and having to rent a wheelchair. It only got worse as the week wore on, until I choose to stay behind in our hotel then suffer the emotional toll on me being pushed in a wheelchair.

Oh and for the record, unless you are truly long-termed handicapped with a card, Disney DOES NOT skip you to the front of the line. I also skipped many rides so my family would not be burdened with having to push me.
So the moral of the story is, try not to be so quick to assume everyone is out to "go something for nothing." I would have given anything- waited in 2 hours lines and walked from parks back to my hotel if I could have, but I wasn't. We're only human and have diffeent limitations and needs.

KC82271

Discrimination to non-disabled people!

but as much as i loved missing all the queues i was quite disgusted that just because my daughter was in a wheelchair it gave our whole family a ticket to bypass all queues, in some ways (no disrespect to disabled users) but i felt it was a discrimination to non disabled people in a sense.

DisneyWorldMad -- I couldn't agree more! We have traveled several times with various members of our party in a wheelchair. Sometimes our group of 20-25 would have been able to bypass the queues. This isn't fair! I am so happy that they have now made so many of the queues handicap accessible. There is a ton of fun in waiting most times, granted not for 40 minutes!

And as someone earlier mentioned, the buses. With our group sizes, we would send two adults (one in a chair and one not) off on the bus. The rest of us would wait in line and catch whatever bus we made it on. As for the entire group being able to jump the line, it's nuts. If it's a small family of 4, okay. If there are only two adults and a few kids, fine. But it's usually several adults and several kids. Stay behind and wait like the rest of us. I have done it - so can you!

DABIGCHEEZ

i have to agree with this, i have been to disney world every year for the last 8 years and our last visit my daughter had fluid on her hip which caused her a lot of pain standing up for longer than 1 min so we had to rent a wheelchair from home but as much as i loved missing all the queues i was quite disgusted that just because my daughter was in a wheelchair it gave our whole family a ticket to bypass all queues, in some ways (no disrespect to disabled users) but i felt it was a discrimination to non disabled people in a sense.

when we went to mvmcp and we went to watch [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mickey's 'Twas the Night Before Christmas' Show in tomorrow land the show was packed and there was no more disabled areas free but as i said to my wife i didn't bother us as no matter where we sited, my daughter could see as her wheelchair was at the same height as the seating (so why people in the mobility scooters had front seat access i don't know[/FONT].) what made me so mad was when a man with his son in his wheelchair came like 4 min before the show was going to start and had a right go at the cm because all the front seat wheelchair areas was full and refused to seat anywhere else because his son was disabled (me and other parent (with another wheelchair user) just looked at each other gob smacked :eek: lol as i said before no mater where you where seated you could see lol. and then refused to move until the cm made room. i think the front seating area should have been chosen just for the for the deaf as they had lady signing all the words which was a nice added touch by disney.

i think if disney want to sort this problem then the disabled should go to the ride they want to get on and get like a fast pass so it should say return in (however long the queue was) so they are able to enjoy the park while they wait for there time slot (in some ways like parent pass) it felt so strange when splash mountain or say space mountain had a 40min waiting time and we just walked straight on and we even got the choice where we wanted to be seated on the ride :confused:

This was a great suggestion and I wonder why it hasn't been implemented.

iheartdisney91

well i for one cant stand it when you are waiting for a bus for over 20 min and its hot, then the bus comes and right at the last minute here it comes a wheelchair.....

and pardon me if i offend anyone but the only person i saw in WDW last week that needed the chair was an old man with one leg, the rest didnt need it... i mean no i dont know them but when you see them later in the day walking around the resort NOT IN THE CHAIR! you start to get mad!:mad: its sooooooo annyoing!

DABIGCHEEZ

I just want to make sure I read this correctly. Is your suggestion that anyone with a wheelchair in their party should go to the front of the line, then stand off to the side for however long the posted wait time is before getting on the ride? If so, what on earth would that accomplish...outside of causing CM's to lose their minds trying to explain repeatedly over 30 or 40 minutes to a frustrated party why they have to arbitrarily wait to ride with no one in front of them even though they weren't required to queue up for the ride in the first place? I don't see a single positive outcome there, for anybody involved.

If I misinterpreted what you were suggesting, my bad.

This was more of a response to an earlier post where I suggested allow the person in their wheelchair wait at the loading area while their party waited in line and then all met up and rode together. Someone was upset that they shouldn't have to be seperated from their group because they wer in a wheelchair. Maybe they can wait with one other family mem ber. But the fastpass suggestion someone made would work great.

Oh and for the record, unless you are truly long-termed handicapped with a card, Disney DOES NOT skip you to the front of the line.

we did not have a card (didnt know they were available ) but were able to skip the front of the line on nearly every ride / show (except the ones where wheelchair access was allowed for in the queue and im sure no cm is going to argue that they need to get a disabled card to get on a ride because their in a wheelchair (maybe I'm wrong has anyone had this problem)

happymom52003

well i for one cant stand it when you are waiting for a bus for over 20 min and its hot, then the bus comes and right at the last minute here it comes a wheelchair.....

and pardon me if i offend anyone but the only person i saw in WDW last week that needed the chair was an old man with one leg, the rest didnt need it... i mean no i dont know them but when you see them later in the day walking around the resort NOT IN THE CHAIR! you start to get mad!:mad: its sooooooo annyoing!
So you saw every single one of the hundreds of people in wheelchairs at their resorts walking around?:shrug: Wow! You must really get around when you are at WDW!

disneyfan56

DisneyworldMad- I don't know what you were able to do, but I'm telling you from my personal experience in a wheelchair at WDW- I was not given any special line-cutting privilges. I waited in line with everyone else.
But I was able to stand independently, so that does make a difference I think. Your daughter was not able to stand right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom