Wheelchair Abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

barnum42

weluvtink said:
When we had to use a wheelchair for my mom, it was due to the strain of walking. She stood in line with the rest of us for each attraction. We didn't even attempt to use any wheelchair enterances.
Next time she can stay in the chair whilst you queue. Very few wheelchair entrances jump any part of the queues, so she won't have to feel guilty on that count.

weluvtink

barnum42 said:
Next time she can stay in the chair whilst you queue. Very few wheelchair entrances jump any part of the queues, so she won't have to feel guilty on that count.
She was ok to stand. The good news is that she's been down twice since that trip and hasn't needed a wheelchair(she's almost 74). :sohappy:

daisyduck448

i agree its horrible. people dont realize theyre taking advantage of the fact those are for people who need them.

is the rental of wheelchairs free? probably not but just wondering since its considered medical care.

:)

barnum42

daisyduck448 said:
is the rental of wheelchairs free? probably not but just wondering since its considered medical care.
Nope, there is a charge. Don't know how much it is as Mother brings her own, but I think its under $10 a day.

DisneyFreak529

daisyduck448 said:
is the rental of wheelchairs free?

According to the
Birnbaum's 2005 edition of
"Walt Disney World: The offical Guide"

"Wheelchairs can be rented in all them parks: they cost $7 per day, with a $1 refundable deposit. " - quoted from text

Hope this helps.

I understand that many people do take advantage of the wheelchairs at the parks, but there are many people who do need one while at the parks who may not appear to be handicap.

TheDisneyGirl02

Sorry to keep this thread going guys, but I just had to add it since I was just at Disneyland less than a week ago.

[/QUOTE]

Ok ill comment, as I have said before My 10 yar old daughter has a deformity in her foot that does not allow her to walk for long distances or for a long time. We have rented strollers when she was little, but when she got older and bigger and couldnt fit in strollers, we have rented wheelchairs for her at WDW. Now we have NEVER used the chair for any andvantage etc or to try cut any line on any attraction, we simply use it to get her from place to place. When we get to an attraction, we simply park the chair beside and in the area where others park ECVs and strollers etc and we all walk onto the attraction by waiting in the same line as anyone else does.

My wife has in the past also has had to rent ECVs due to her chron's disease and cannot walk too far due to that as well as another condition she has. I dont feel we have been lazy or tried to take advantage of anything. When we are at home when we walk my daughter gets tired out (her legs begin to cramp up etc) just walking around the block.

just my 2 cents worth from someone who has benefited from the chairs, but didnt expect a free ride. I do think though that if someone does abuse the wheelchair, then thats between them and their conscience. I just ry to look at it from the standpoint Im on vacation and not going to let some people's rudeness ruin my magic at our fav place on earth. WDW

mwoates

leaving mgm

when we were leaving mgm at closing time in January, my family and I could barely get to the exit b/c of all of the rented scooters/wheelchairs that had been returned that day. It was a slow day that day at the park, all throughout our trip we noticed how many people on the buses/parks were using them! I was so suprised.

lilclerk

When we get to an attraction, we simply park the chair beside and in the area where others park ECVs and strollers etc and we all walk onto the attraction by waiting in the same line as anyone else does.

Ah, I was going to ask if this was possible. My knees are horrible in WDW due to an equestrian injury years ago. Walking around at home, I'm fine, but the stress of theme-park is just too much. In February, by the third day of the trip, I was limping around Epcot. Not much fun.
So I was considering the possibility of maybe renting a wheelchair for my next trip (whenever that is.)
Believe me, I don't want to. At all. I'm only 23! :lol: And I would only do it if I could park it outside a queue and stand in the regular line.

Ah, I was going to ask if this was possible. My knees are horrible in WDW due to an equestrian injury years ago. Walking around at home, I'm fine, but the stress of theme-park is just too much. In February, by the third day of the trip, I was limping around Epcot. Not much fun.
So I was considering the possibility of maybe renting a wheelchair for my next trip (whenever that is.)
Believe me, I don't want to. At all. I'm only 23! :lol: And I would only do it if I could park it outside a queue and stand in the regular line.

yes you most certainly can do that....If you used the wheelchair for that purpose, you shouldnt have any problems at all.

Like I said before we have always done this, it works out great.......i am sure some people look at my daughter and roll their eyes when they see her get out of a wheelchair and then walk in line, but they really should not judge because some disabilities cannot be seen or are real obvious. like I said sue to my daughter's bone deformity, its hard for her. People cant see that because she doesnt have a obvious problem. All I can say is oh well, the thing is since we use the chair mainly to go from one ride to another, and since the parks are rather spread out, we use it to go to front of parks to the back etc, no one should get too upset at the way we use the chair for her.

Afterall thats the main reason we go in Nov for the less crowded times and cooler temps, since our daughter also doesnt sweat and overheats very easy.

mary219

i am glad this thread popped up.I have a cut,welt and bruise on the back of my leg from a girl in a wheelchair being pushed by her sister(about 16-17 yrs old),they where arguing with their father on the cell phone and racing through the path leading toward flights of wonder in ak.Smashed into me,looked at me and just kept going.Now i know you can't tell people's problems and certainly most of the people in chairs and scooters needed them,but no one can convince me that there are that many people in themeparks who need the scooters and chairs.there were far to many healthy looking people riding around in them,it was really getting a little ridiculous.And there is no reason to be racing around ,smashing into people if you do need it.I realize they were teens (i have my own and i know,oh, how i know)but still ,it was very rude and it freaking hurt ,it was a week ago and i still have my war wound!!!anyway just my two cents-no offense to those who need it,it was pretty obvious that some people just had the scooters for the hell of it.

JWG

Holy bumped thread...

Anyway... I think an easy fix is to make the line queues such that individual's who utilize various support devices can wait in line with the rest of the population. I am not trying to diminish anyone's handicap or need, but should that necessitate them not waiting in line?

Several reasons to utilize the equipment/wheelchair may exist (injury, handicap, obesity, condition, etc.) - but do any of those really support line jumping also? I say yes, some true disabilities may - but those should be verifiable in some way.

My uncle uses the electric cart because of bad knees/legs, but we didn't line jump. We parked it in stroller parking (with several other carts) and fast passed or waited. I'm not saying that as "we're morally better than others" but as - why shouldn't that just be the policy?

Too many chairs and vehicles that it isn't possible? Where the line queues have been adapted I think this is appropriate.

Mikieboy84

I agree with the above post, disabilities shouldn't necesarily take you to the head of the line. Especialy if the disability is "I don't feel like walkin'".

happymom52003

I agree that wheel chairs and scooters are abused at WDW. I am also in the camp that believes proof of a disability should be shown. But I seriously doubt that will ever happen at WDW. So I do not let it bother me while I am there. Here is what I do not understand...I can't speak for wheechairs, but scooters are a pain in the you know what if you need one at WDW. Last year we took my handicapped grandmother with us on our trip and she had to have a scooter. It was a nightmare dealing with the crowds, getting on and off of transportation, etc. I really can't imagine why anyone would actually WANT to use a scooter at WDW unless they physically had to! My grandmother had a fun trip, but it was a very difficult experience and we encountered many problems. And for the record, with very few excpetions, it did not save us any time in lines. And any time it did save us was lost again trying to maneuvar through the crowds. But we were not looking for it to save us time anyway. I could never bring myself to cheat in that way. I just dont get how some people can do that.

Shadowdawn

people with real disabilities usually have some sort of card on them saying that they have a disability. sometimes on the drivers license,some times its a seperate card. They could present that card when they get a wheelchair. If Disney wanted or needed to fix the problem, then they could find a way. I did get a lot of dirty looks, and to be honest, it was very embaraassing. I didn't like it, it was very embarassing. I did it so i could find out first hand that it was really a problem. I'll never do it again. I'll always use the fast pass or just stand in line.

Before I put my 2 cents in let me say that I do agree that the abuse of the system is wrong and I don't condone it at all.

However, it sounds like you're saying only those with a "real" disability i.e. people handicap parking permits, etc. should be allowed to rent wheelchairs or you should bring your own. But what about those who really do have an issue that's not covered under those two circumstances. For example, my boyfriends father is prone to Gout (sp?), and it is difficult for him to be on his feet for an extended amount of time. This was the case when they (my bf's parents) traveled to WDW two years ago. Although physically he looked fine, there would be no way for him to walk around the parks and enjoy himself. Therefore they rented a wheelchair and it proved a life saver for both of them. They both got to enjoy the parks with little extra discomfort.

I'm only mentioning this because he does not have a special license for this issue but it is a problem.

Like I said I totally agree that the abuse is horrible but I'm betting for every 1 abuser there are 10 non-abusers.

westie

I too got ran over by an electric wheel chair. Albeit it was after illuminations and it was dark and crowded and the person kept ramming the back of me. Finally, after drawing blood, I turned arround and got face to face with this person and told them to keep their distance. I felt really bad for doing it but, we had several days left and I needed that leg. The freeloaders that abuse the system? Their just that and they know it.

HiddenMinnie

I don't really know about people in wheelchairs getting on rides faster, but when we were there in June I got really aggrevated! We were going to see The Festival of the Lion King. We were excited because we got to sit in the second row (first row being handicapped). Then, in came two women with two children. One woman was in a wheelchair and the others were walking. When the CM showed them to the handicap seats, the woman in the wheelchair got out and let the two kids sit in it together! She may not be able to walk long distances (I didn't see any physical handicap), but I think she was well enough to walk in and find a regular seat! That, to me, is wheelchair abuse!!:mad: She may not have been able to get on rides faster, but she sure was getting front row seats to the shows!!

well I have had my 2 cents worth, we have used the ECV's for my wife due to her disease, and my daughter's born with disabilities, and it is the only reason we have been able to go back year after year.

As far as healthy looking people in the wheelchairs etc.....unless you have x-ray vision and can see inside someone's body to see if they have a condition, then you really cant judge. I agree some people abuse the system, I am certainly not advocating abuse in any way by cutting lines, etc, as we have ALWAYS waited our turn by parking our ECV, and wheelchair, strollers in the designated area and walking in the rides etc.

What I hate is when you are driving an ECV or steering my daughter's wheelchair cautiously, and carefully when other people who are busy arguing amongst themselves, gauking at things around them, or just plain not paying attention stop in front of you or cut you off causing you to make contact with them. Then they turn around and look at you like its your fault.

Some people just dont pay attention to their surroundings just like when they are driving on the roadway....
here is a hint......if you are in the middle of main street or the Hub and it is crowded watch out before you suddenly stop, especially in the dark, there may just be someone behind you trying to do right and navigate.

Thats all Im saying on the subject if you care to read my other previous posts on this subject you can, otherwise Im done responding on this thread.:hammer:

happymom52003

What I hate is when you are driving an ECV or steering my daughter's wheelchair cautiously, and carefully when other people who are busy arguing amongst themselves, gauking at things around them, or just plain not paying attention stop in front of you or cut you off causing you to make contact with them. Then they turn around and look at you like its your fault.

Some people just dont pay attention to their surroundings just like when they are driving on the roadway....
here is a hint......if you are in the middle of main street or the Hub and it is crowded watch out before you suddenly stop, especially in the dark, there may just be someone behind you trying to do right and navigate.

I could not agree more. We had that problem when we took my grandmother. I was shocked at the lack of consideration by so many people. People love to complain about scooters, but until you have experienced driving one or being with someone who drives one, you don't realize how many problems are the result of the pedestrians...not the scooter driver. Now that being said, we did see some scooter drivers who were at fault for problems! But for the most part, the pedestrians cause the problems. Same with strollers....I cant tell you how many ankles I have nearly hit with my stroller because the person in front of me came to a dead stop on a busy pathway to look at their map.:hammer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom