What's your first Disney memory?

cameraguy

Besides my first time seeing the castle, my all time favorite memmory is my mom, aunt and a cast member embarressing the heck out of my older brother and cousin.

It was my families first trip to WDW and we meet our cousins on my dad's side down their for Easter. It was Good Friday and I was 12 and my brother and cousin just turned 16 a few day before, and we were in the Magic Kingdom and were staying until closing at midnight. My dad and uncle left early to watch a basketball game so the rest of us went to dinner at The Plaza Resturant before the Spectromagic Parade. After dinner my mom told the cast member serving our table that it was my brother's and cousin's birthday. A few minutes latter she came back with a small cake. She got everybody in the restutant's attention, told them that it was their b-days and told them to swing their napkins in the air and say in a loud voice "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" me and my other cousin couldn't stop laughing for the next 10 minutes. I will never for get how read his face his face got.

Tinkerbella16

My first memory was in 1992...I was only 6 years. We drove down from NJ and stayed offsite. My first memory was when we entered the Magic Kingdom. I can remember myself, my sister and my cousins all running as fast as we could to Cinderella's Castle. I still remember the music that was playing on Main Street...we were amazed! I can remember all of my very first times on the rides that aren't in the parks anymore, like World of Motion (which was my favorite :cry: ), Horizons, Dream Flight, etc. I really do miss all of those rides and being little at WDW...but everytime im there, I am a big kid all over again.

lilclerk

Shockingly, my first DW memory is not a good one =\

I went in 1990 when I was six with my mom, two sisters and grandmother. We stayed with family, who lived closeby. Around that time, I had a nightmare that my mom and grandmother had left me with my great-grandmother for the day while they went shopping, and then my great-grandmother was trying to kill me.
I was slightly traumatized and didn't really trust my mom or grandma for a while.

Anyway.

The only Disney thing I remember about that trip was being in Spaceship Earth and I had wanted to sit with one of my sisters, but I ended up with my grandmother. I was completely terrified the entire ride. The native Americans really scared me for some reason and at that point, I looked over the edge of the car, and I thought it was just a freefall down to the bottom of the ball and I was so so scared that my grandma was going to push me out.

By the end of the trip, I was fine with them. It was just not a good time right there...

MagicMan17

Assuming it doesn't have to necessarily be a good memory...

Watching the MK parade as a small child and having a bird in the overhead tree use me for target practice.

poohbear6103

My first Disney memory was when I was 9, my first trip there, and meeting Eeyore who I loved. He gave me kiss on the head and patted me on the head and then when he turned around I decided I would pull his tail. At that moment my mom takes a picture of me. There I am with my pink balloon shaped like Mickey's head in one hand, Eeyore's tail in the other and this mischievous look on my face. When I went back to Disney, we went for breakfast at Crystal Palace and I had my boyfriend take a picture of me with Eeyore's tail in my hand as he walked away. I should get a two sided frame and put both pictures in it :)

brb1006

My first Disney memory at the parks was meeting Pinocchio (Who was my favorite character at the time) at the Magic Kingdom in 2004 which was my first visit.

However the oldest Disney memory would have to be watching the ending to The Wonderful World Of Disney Christmas Special (I can't remember the year, but I'm going to say late 90's) that showed Mickey standing outside Cinderella Castle and waving along with saying "Thanks Santa". I think Santa was seen passing by or it showed a bunch of Disney characters as the camera pans out. I wish I could find that clip of the special in question if anybody has seen it.

Figments Friend

First 'Disney Memory' would be seeing 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs'' for the first time in a theater with my parents when i was little, in the 70s.
It is definitely the earliest memory...even before my odd early obsession with the 70s version of 'The Mickey Mouse Club' that I watched addictively on tv at the time ( I think I was four...).
I wore my mouse ears for two years straight solely based on watching that show....and i have the old family photos to prove it.

In 1979 I visited WDW for the first time, and the only thing I clearly remember experiencing was 'The Mickey Mouse Revue'.
I loved the animatronic characters. Fascinated in watching them move as I knew they were not real but loved pretending that they were.
I wanted to know how it was all done....I was 8 at the time.
I always found it odd that I didn't recall anything else about that first visit except the excitement of the first airplane ride ( Eastern in 79' ...woo! ).

The 'love for Disney' as far as Theme Parks go hit in April of 83' when I returned to WDW at age 12 and experienced the magnificence of what was then the brand new EPCOT Center.
Mind was totally blown.
Incredible impact.
Life changing moment.
The Original 'Journey Into Imagination' sealed the deal.
I became a lifelong mega fan instantly for that Park and that Attraction.
Still am, although miss the spirit of the EPCOT of yore.....

-

Last edited:

PineapplePrincess

We visited in 1972 when I was three, and the way I remember it was there was a ride with some crabs that were snapping their claws and it terrified me! In my mind it was IASW, but no crabs unless they've changed it. Anyway, I cried and wouldn't go on any rides after that! My big brother was so mad!

75disney

1975 - I was 2 years old. We stayed at the Contemporary. My parents had just got us to bed after a day of travel when we heard music outside on Bay Lake. We jumped from our bed and watched the Electrical Water Pageant! My parents had a tough time getting us back to sleep after that; we were afraid we would miss something. I also remember watching the MK fireworks from the Contemporary in my new red Mickey Mouse windbreaker and new Mickey ears.

RickP330

I don't remember the exact date. We drove to Disney in a 1973 Chevy Suburban we just purchased. Not sure if we went that year or the year after. So I was 4 or 5 years old. We drove up to and stayed at the Poly resort in that suburban. I remember that impressive lobby and our room as the first memories.
Also from that trip I remember the hall of presidents - at that time I was a big "6 million dollar man" fan and these were robotic, equally as impressed at the magic tiki room. I also have fond memories of the comedy show at the California grill (comedian used the microphone to shave his beard and I was hysterical). Also the hoopty do review. I also remember annoying my sisters in the back of that '73 chevy as we drove throughout the night and slept in the back. Got in a lot of trouble in that one!!
RP

PS: I also remember now our ghost host and the ghost who left with us on the HM. This thread is bringing those memories crashing back!!!

PSS: Someone mentioned shooting gallery. I recall the Frontier land shooting gallery and not being allowed to play it because we had to pay, i was so upset. I am not sure I ever did get to play it. I may insist on this upcoming August trip...

Last edited:

matt9112

i was 9 (i came from a poor family) i remember i had the choice of a new lego set or WDW....i picked legos (obviously trip was all booked) i dont have any particular wow moment but i remember the first trip was my only trip to ride the skyway and that the barnstormer was my first roller coaster. i missed horizons by one year....thats a er. =P

brb1006

Another fond Disney memory is always getting the Winnie The Pooh Nursery Rhyme/Mother Goose book. I can't remember the name but I remember one illustration that featured Kanga laughing while sitting in a chair and I think the poem had to do with a laughing dog or something that had to do with laughing so hard. I wish I knew what the name of the book was but I always loved getting that book when every I visited the Library every Friday in Kindergarten. I think that book was one of the earliest introductions to Winnie The Pooh in general. But I really hope that book is still available back in Elementary School because it gave me fond memories. I still vividly memorize that Kanga illustration after all these years.

If anyone knows what book that I'm talking about can you let me know?

I was only about 8 years old...early 2002 or 2003, I think. It was my first trip to a Disney park ever, and we were staying at the Dolphin hotel. We landed late in the day, so we basically went straight to the hotel after arriving, and were getting ready for bed. I was allowed to go down to a nearby pool with a waterfall, though, and I remember swimming there that night. For some reason I feel like it wasn't even part of the hotel itself? I've only been once since then, on a school trip, so I haven't found out.

Foltzy

I was lucky enough to visit multiple times in my childhood, and the trips have blurred into one. However one moment sticks out, so I'll go with that. I vividly recall loving the TTA and riding it over and over without getting off. But, going inside Space Mountain scared me because I, like many other 2 or 3 year olds, was afraid of the dark. But, I still loved the ride and it became one of my current favorites.

seabreezept813

My parents saved and we drove from Massachusetts to Florida. I was about 8, and I believed that as soon as we got there we would basically drive up right next to the castle. After 22 hours in a car, my brother and I were shocked going under the Disney World turnstile and realizing it was all roads. We never imagined it was multiple parks, had roads, etc. It took us a while to catch on..

RickP330

Oh, I also recall Mr. Toad's wild ride on my first visit! I was so impressed with the train coming head on at us right down the tunnel, I can remember it like it was yesterday. Last year I had the chance to go to Disneyland and relive the ride. It was awesome!

Ok, so I guess not one memory, but it's surprising how much I remember about that one trip...
RP

*Stinkerbell*

This is an easy one. My first Walt Disney World trip with my Mom and Big Sis was just this past June. My first memory was looking down Main Street USA at Cinderella's Castle and not getting the smile off my face.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom