Whats with the finger scanners?

slappy magoo

Well you know the old saying, so simple a child can do it?:veryconfu Take this example, I work in a Staples, and I've had people ask, " do you have staples?" :veryconfu :veryconfu Go figure, it takes all kinds.

Then again, what if you worked in a Coconuts CD/DVD store? You'd have some very hungry, very angry Hawaiians on your hands.

Or worse, if you worked in a Virgin? :lookaroun

tigsmom

If I remember they set up some kind of biometric system to make sure that the ticket you put into the machine is yours and not someone else trying to use it. The problem is that in most cases they let you go through if the ticket does not work, and then advise you to go to customer relations to get it corrected.

Nope. After trying her card 4 times they sent us to Customer Relations, we had just checked in so we knew we hadn't used our days yet. Seems my daughter de-magnatized her card by putting it with her cell phone. They gave her a paper pass and we had her card fixed when we returned to the resort.

We had to use the finger scanners only when re entering a park or when hopping during EMH. My daughter has small hands and it took a while to get it right.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Very odd. What is the real reasoning behind this policy? Are they afraid we will infect the Disney computers and turn them EVIL???
I don't think that there is a policy against laptops in the park... just an asinine CM that makes up rules... there are several WDW security guards (and TSA officers, and mall rent-a-cops, and Universal Security guards, and male strippers) who should have taken part in the 1971 Stanford Prison Experiment.

mkt

Premium Member
Nope. After trying her card 4 times they sent us to Customer Relations, we had just checked in so we knew we hadn't used our days yet. Seems my daughter de-magnatized her card by putting it with her cell phone. They gave her a paper pass and we had her card fixed when we returned to the resort.

We had to use the finger scanners only when re entering a park or when hopping during EMH. My daughter has small hands and it took a while to get it right.
Those keys to the world are physically no different from a roomkey at any other hotel... the only difference is the information encoded. Credit cards, cellphone, excessive heat... all of these things and more can wipe a Key to the World clean.

tigsmom

Those keys to the world are physically no different from a roomkey at any other hotel... the only difference is the information encoded. Credit cards, cellphone, excessive heat... all of these things and more can wipe a Key to the World clean.

Would be nice if somebody told us that. :lol:

mkt

Premium Member
Would be nice if somebody told us that. :lol:
It's the Vingcard system, which are used by hotels worldwide. The only major difference, like I said, is that Disney's keycards have more info on them... and a minor one, most hotels don't print on their keys... especially information as potentially sensitive as a full name and arrival/departure date.

tr1plese7en

Credit cards, cellphone, excessive heat... all of these things and more can wipe a Key to the World clean.

Include on that list purses, wallets, or money clips with magnetic fasteners. Not just Key to the World cards either it will do the same to any ticket. Cards/tickets won't read if it's bent or got a severe crease in it either.

maelstrom

Include on that list purses, wallets, or money clips with magnetic fasteners. Not just Key to the World cards either it will do the same to any ticket. Cards/tickets won't read if it's bent or got a severe crease in it either.

Key to the World cards die if you look at them the wrong way. I've never had a problem with my AP.

mkt

Premium Member
I've never had a problem w/ my Key to the World...I must just be good ~shrugs~
I can stay at any hotel in the world... their keys (typically) work. My keys to the world have to be replaced at least once during a trip... even a one-night stay.

Frank Stallone

It's not what I do that's of concern. The only thing I've done in the parks that's even gotten security's attention is pulling out a laptop at Epcot (apparently, that's not cool).

It's seeing a private company having an elite security unit that scares me. People carrying 9mm that have authority to use them... not for the common good like the police, but to protect the assets of a company. I've always found that scary.

I agree, seeing someone walking around the park "packing heat" can be a little startling, especially for being in Disney World. However, sometimes it is necessary. For example, the princess of Greece was just in the parks yesterday, and she had security with her. So naturally, someone of that significance is going to be allowed an exception.

Fortunately, the princess' security guard didn't accidently shoot out the Soarin' screen when the golf ball was heading right towards the princess, thinking it was an asassination attempt.

tink81

Only had a problem with our Key the next to last night of our trip in Sept. We arrived back at POP after EMH at Epcot and Bf's Key wouldn't work, so we had to walk all the way back to the main building (not a far walk, but we were dragging). It wasn't a big deal, we ended up having a beer at the bar for our troubles :king:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom