Whats with the finger scanners?

flynnibus

Premium Member
The finger scanners are really pointless. They are more or less just sitting there to look daunting to anyone planning on cheating the system by sharing a pass, or reselling it. I say they save money and just stick a picture of the person on the tickets like most major parks do.

Yeah.. THAT will really speed things up.. :ROFLOL:

Craig & Lisa

It annoys me to no end when people can't figure out how to place one finger on the blue light. Its not rocket science. :zipit:
Well you know the old saying, so simple a child can do it?:veryconfu Take this example, I work in a Staples, and I've had people ask, " do you have staples?" :veryconfu :veryconfu Go figure, it takes all kinds.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Hmmm .... Please explain "blue canaries"
Entry level security cast members. A member on these boards who is a Reedy Creek firefighters referred to them as Blue Canaries... eg, they send Disney Security CM's to check situations which the firefighters wouldn't enter because it's too risky... like a miner would send a canary many years ago :)

The elite unit actually frightens me (or is it Disney that frightens me for having an elite unit?)... they're far from blue canaries.

AEfx

The elite unit actually frightens me (or is it Disney that frightens me for having an elite unit?)... they're far from blue canaries.

What is it that you are doing on Disney property that makes you concerned about or frightened by their security?

AEfx

mkt

Premium Member
What is it that you are doing on Disney property that makes you concerned about or frightened by their security?

AEfx
It's not what I do that's of concern. The only thing I've done in the parks that's even gotten security's attention is pulling out a laptop at Epcot (apparently, that's not cool).

It's seeing a private company having an elite security unit that scares me. People carrying 9mm that have authority to use them... not for the common good like the police, but to protect the assets of a company. I've always found that scary.

Rob562

It's not what I do that's of concern. The only thing I've done in the parks that's even gotten security's attention is pulling out a laptop at Epcot (apparently, that's not cool).

Hmmm... I'll have to ask my friend if he's ever had any contact with security. He lives in the area and works from home, so occasionally he'll go to the parks to get some fresh air, hang out and do work on his laptop.

-Rob

Valawen9

The two finger scanners were not as user friendly as the current ones. Probably because your fingers were covered by a little metal plate so it was very hard to gauge whether you were on the sensor correctly or not.

Yeah...I understand why the last finger scanners caused backups because those things were kind of confusing. They kind of hurt too because the CM would tell me to push my fingers all the way up on it and squeeze and it still wasn't working. So they'd explain to me what to do again and I'd be like, "I am doing that". lol I hated those things.

maelstrom

Well you know the old saying, so simple a child can do it?:veryconfu Take this example, I work in a Staples, and I've had people ask, " do you have staples?" :veryconfu :veryconfu Go figure, it takes all kinds.

I used to work at Staples too. I have never encountered such dumb customers as I did at Staples, and Staples encourages their customers to walk all over their employees in the name of satisfaction. Whenever I got an irate customer, I just called a manager and let *them* deal with it since *they* were so keen on that kind of thing. :wave:

Valawen9 said:
Yeah...I understand why the last finger scanners caused backups because those things were kind of confusing. They kind of hurt too because the CM would tell me to push my fingers all the way up on it and squeeze and it still wasn't working. So they'd explain to me what to do again and I'd be like, "I am doing that". lol I hated those things.

Yeah, they always act like you're just stupid and aren't doing it right. But we are. The system is just flawed.

sknydave

You and me both. :brick: :lol:

My gf and I took her uncle to Epcot a few weeks ago and he was one of these people. I felt so embarrassed! He kept putting his finger on the scanner for one nanosecond and then trying to pass through the turnstiles. He created a whole big scene... I wanted to just disappear.

Valawen9

My gf and I took her uncle to Epcot a few weeks ago and he was one of these people. I felt so embarrassed! He kept putting his finger on the scanner for one nanosecond and then trying to pass through the turnstiles. He created a whole big scene... I wanted to just disappear.

Awww lol.

mkt

Premium Member
Hmmm... I'll have to ask my friend if he's ever had any contact with security. He lives in the area and works from home, so occasionally he'll go to the parks to get some fresh air, hang out and do work on his laptop.

-Rob
I've done it other times too, and I think I got a jerk to be honest. If laptops weren't allowed in the park, they shouldn't have let me in the park with it. I mean, it's not that big, and I use my Sprint EV-DO USB adaptor to get online in the park, NOT the locked Wifi network that Disney blankets its property wth.... so I'm not doing anything bad.

It was probably just a hessian CM.

NASAMan

It annoys me to no end when people can't figure out how to place one finger on the blue light. Its not rocket science. :zipit:

Watch it, now! To me, EVERYTHING is rocket science!:ROFLOL:

My view on the finger scanners is pretty negative... point in case, I use my middle finger for the biometric scan :)

I bet the CM tells you to "Have a Magical Day!"

It's seeing a private company having an elite security unit that scares me. People carrying 9mm that have authority to use them... not for the common good like the police, but to protect the assets of a company. I've always found that scary.

The only time I brought my laptop into a park was at the MK. I went upstairs in Columbia House, found an outlet, and downloaded pictures off my camera. Nobody bothered me. It would be interesting to hear other's experiences with computers.

On the other hand, I have no problem with an elite security force. As long as they are not hessian jerks.

I've done it other times too, and I think I got a jerk to be honest. ...
It was probably just a hessian CM.

Whoops!:eek:

mkt

Premium Member
I've never seen a sign that says no notebook computers?
There isn't one... then again, there also isn't a sign that says no line jumping, no fastpass cheating, and sneaking in the parks.

This was the first and only time I was ever given a hard time about it... but the CM was pretty clear that if I was seen with it out again, I'd be evicted from Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom