Whats with Fantasyland Expansion?

Figment632

This project needs a preview center like DCA's Blue Sky Cellar, or even the current lobby displays of the Disneyland Opera House.

Where's the Preview Center?[/QUOTE]

Agreed!

Harry Potter will most definitely crush WDW's attendance. Will all the harry potter fans in the Orlando are and around the country WDW's attendance will see a major decline.

It will hardly affect WDW attendance at all. WHile POtter looks great MK and EPcot will not see a drop at all. DAK and DHS maybe but Potter is no threat to WDW.

Universal needs to put some love into the first park befor I come back :fork:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Can't speak for all parents, but I'm actually pretty depressed that when I take my three-year-old on her first trip to WDW in January, she'll experience rides like Peter Pan in their current sorry states.

Be sure not to take her through the Buzz Lightyear queue then. Talk about torn up! :(

Slowjack

Be sure not to take her through the Buzz Lightyear queue then. Talk about torn up! :(
Yeah, that's always been pretty nasty. What really bothers me is seeing children peel paint from the walls while their parents stand right next to them and watch them do it.

NMBC1993

As a frequent visitor of WDW (heading there tomorrow for a trip around the resorts) I also feel that the "If it’s closed, vacations will be ruined" gimmick is ridicules. That’s the same excuse they use so they don't have to install Haunted Mansion Holiday. But I look past that, what bothers me is even projects that aren't even built yet are getting less attention than other parks. Personally when I saw the Fantasyland D23 release I thought to myself "What, did someone finally realize they need something to compete with Harry Potter and pulled a bunch of old ideas out of a trash bin?" Later that day I told my co-worker about their plans and she said "Princesses, really? Why don't they do something that everyone will enjoy not just little girls, I think I'll stick with Harry Potter." But the thing that really gets to me is I believed in TDO at one point. When Haunted Mansion (my favorite attraction) closed for an entire year, sure I missed it but when it re-opened, I could tell they put so much work into it. I know they can make the classic Disney attractions look amazing, but only if they stop holding their wallets so tightly.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Yeah, that's always been pretty nasty. What really bothers me is seeing children peel paint from the walls while their parents stand right next to them and watch them do it.

Last week it was beyond paint. Entire sections of drywall had been chipped out, like you said, probably by kids whose parents stood idly by. Then again, with the crowds there last week, I suppose I shouldn't have been too surprised....:shrug:

WDW1974

Au contraire, Spirit.

Though we (you) might not think that the FL Expansion is not substantial, in terms of rides, capacity and the like, I do think that it would be possible to put up a Blue Sky Cellar (Chateau, instead? :lol:) to at least show all the different aspects of the expansion. Though it won't have many bona finde attractions, they still can put up a nice preview center for the architecture, the horticulture, the engineering aspects of it.

At least I hope they do.

Nah, what you are talking about frankly can all be shown on construction walls. Seriously.

Blue Sky Cellar works, much like the old preview centers at DL and MK, because there's so many future projects going on. Heck, they've already updated it once since it opened.

WDW just -- sadly -- doesn't have that much on the way.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing one. I just see no need and Disney doesn't disagree.:xmas:

WDW1974

Last week it was beyond paint. Entire sections of drywall had been chipped out, like you said, probably by kids whose parents stood idly by. Then again, with the crowds there last week, I suppose I shouldn't have been too surprised....:shrug:

That's typical. And sad.

But Disney needs to realize this and use materials that aren't so easy to destroy. People are pigs. I think they're worse now than anytime in my lifetime, but that's subjective.

It's up to WDI to design under the assumption that guests are out to destroy anything they can touch. It's up to TDO to maintain things no matter how quickly they are damaged. And it's up to CMs and park management to keep better tabs on what's actually happening. :xmas:

_Scar

That's typical. And sad.

But Disney needs to realize this and use materials that aren't so easy to destroy. People are pigs. I think they're worse now than anytime in my lifetime, but that's subjective.

It's up to WDI to design under the assumption that guests are out to destroy anything they can touch. It's up to TDO to maintain things no matter how quickly they are damaged. And it's up to CMs and park management to keep better tabs on what's actually happening. :xmas:

:sohappy:

Buzz Lightbeer

Visiting from the UK next November (4th time - awesome!!), taking my partners little girl - she will be six, does this mean that in November Fantasyland and Toontown will be closed??

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
That's typical. And sad.

I agree. And the more trips I take I find myself becoming less and less tolerant of those miscreants who would either A. destroy the walls in the queue or; B. allow their kids to do the same. My only solution is to never visit WDW at any holiday period ever again. My wife actually complained at the status of some of the restrooms during our visit. I tried to tell her it was simply because the staf couldn't keep up with the masses, but even she recognized that there were fewer employees looking after the bathrooms, or sweeping around the parks, or keeping an eye on the queues so someone doesn't pick at the walls out of boredom......

RSoxNo1

The brand name of Harry Potter....as soon as people hear those two words, they'll be booking their trips

That's really all we have to go on for hope. I hope that people flood Islands of Adventure (except during my visit), and take a significant chunk of Disney's attendance in the process. I hope that people decide to stay in Universal's hotels so that they can skip the lines for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. And most of all, I hope all of this sparks an intense battle for Theme Park superiority between the two companies that leads to a mass of spending and great new attractions and improvements to both Universal Studios and Walt Disney World.

An excellent depiction on how the Fastpass system is completely useless now because they are not enforcing or using it in the way it was designed to be used. it is simply a mask to make people THINK they're getting to skip a line but in reality they're just waiting without physically waiting in line.

I think the biggest problem with the Fastpass implementation is that each park (except the Magic Kingdom) don't have enough attractions that really need it. At Epcot, the main attractions that need are Test Track and Soarin, at DHS it's Tower, RnR and TSM and over at the Animal Kingdom it's only Kilimanjaro Safaris, Everest and to a lesser extend Kali and Dinosaur. Each park needs 4 or 5 major attractions that utilize it for it to be a major advantage for guests that no how to use it.

That being said, not using it is still a major disadvantage as you are paying the bi-product of the system (longer standby lines) without reaping the benefits (shorter waits if you utilize the fastpass system).

As for all the "We need a Blue Sky Cellar in WDW" talk - The Imagination refurbishment is a perfect opportunity for this. Integrate it into the pavilion to show of Imagineering past present and future. It's advertisement space for future vacations, and I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to come up with something that would allow guests to do some creative armchair imagineering of their own.

EPCOT Explorer

Nah, what you are talking about frankly can all be shown on construction walls. Seriously.

Blue Sky Cellar works, much like the old preview centers at DL and MK, because there's so many future projects going on. Heck, they've already updated it once since it opened.

WDW just -- sadly -- doesn't have that much on the way.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing one. I just see no need and Disney doesn't disagree.:xmas:
Agreed, but while it's not much, Marketing, my friend, is everything. :lol: Put some models in there. Some vids. Make it seem bigger than it is. I'd be happy.

While we don't have that much on the way, I seem to remember hearing that not everything was launched at D23?:wave:

Anything? :lol:

That's typical. And sad.

And none of them do that because they don't work as a team anymore. One is too concerned with their paycheck, the other is (for the most part- I know my share of AWESOME CMs) too concerned with swiping their time card and going to Universal.:rolleyes:

(No lie, had a WDW CM tell me that he was going to Uni after work,:lol:)
That's really all we have to go on for hope. I hope that people flood Islands of Adventure (except during my visit), and take a significant chunk of Disney's attendance in the process. I hope that people decide to stay in Universal's hotels so that they can skip the lines for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. And most of all, I hope all of this sparks an intense battle for Theme Park superiority between the two companies that leads to a mass of spending and great new attractions and improvements to both Universal Studios and Walt Disney World.

I think the biggest problem with the Fastpass implementation is that each park (except the Magic Kingdom) don't have enough attractions that really need it. At Epcot, the main attractions that need are Test Track and Soarin, at DHS it's Tower, RnR and TSM and over at the Animal Kingdom it's only Kilimanjaro Safaris, Everest and to a lesser extend Kali and Dinosaur. Each park needs 4 or 5 major attractions that utilize it for it to be a major advantage for guests that no how to use it.

That being said, not using it is still a major disadvantage as you are paying the bi-product of the system (longer standby lines) without reaping the benefits (shorter waits if you utilize the fastpass system).

As for all the "We need a Blue Sky Cellar in WDW" talk - The Imagination refurbishment is a perfect opportunity for this. Integrate it into the pavilion to show of Imagineering past present and future. It's advertisement space for future vacations, and I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to come up with something that would allow guests to do some creative armchair imagineering of their own.
Exactly. Heck....make the ride about WDI, too. Integrate it with Figment and DF.

And put the Cellar upstairs.
;)

MousDad

FL and ST2, along with a nominal inclusion of resort and routine additions/refurbs, are more than enough to occupy some kind of preview center, even if it is not on the scale of BSC.

They don't have it because they don't want to build/staff it. Sorry, I don't buy the "there's not enough to show" argument.

MonorailGuy11

I dont know if this was mentioned but I was there last week and there were facades up in Fantasy Land. Mrs. Potts' counter service and part of Winnie the Pooh were covered.

Also Buzz Lightyear is in terrible shape, the whole queue needs to be re-painted and they should have the guns on that ride that come off the ride car like they do at Disney Land, always thought it was weird.

EPCOT Explorer

FL and ST2, along with a nominal inclusion of resort and routine additions/refurbs, are more than enough to occupy some kind of preview center, even if it is not on the scale of BSC.

They don't have it because they don't want to build/staff it. Sorry, I don't buy the "there's not enough to show" argument.

Nor do I. Put it anywhere, just promote the hell out of this.

BigThunderMatt

I dont know if this was mentioned but I was there last week and there were facades up in Fantasy Land. Mrs. Potts' counter service and part of Winnie the Pooh were covered.

Also Buzz Lightyear is in terrible shape, the whole queue needs to be re-painted and they should have the guns on that ride that come off the ride car like they do at Disney Land, always thought it was weird.

That was actually up on the 14th of last month as well. I think it is more of a touch up to the general facade, not part of construction. They also had facades up over the back section of Cinderella Castle. To be honest I'm kind of sick of the facades. ESPECIALLY with the castle. Every time I'm there there's either a crane or facade up over some part of it. There's also almost always a facade up over some of the Main Street buildings and usually some part of Fantasyland.

EPCOT Explorer

That was actually up on the 14th of last month as well. I think it is more of a touch up to the general facade, not part of construction. They also had facades up over the back section of Cinderella Castle. To be honest I'm kind of sick of the facades. ESPECIALLY with the castle. Every time I'm there there's either a crane or facade up over some part of it. There's also almost always a facade up over some of the Main Street buildings and usually some part of Fantasyland.

Would you rather have it falling apart like Sleeping Beauty Castle over in DL in the early 2000's? It's a necessary evil. I hate it too....Dec of 06's Castle pics all have a crane.

BigThunderMatt

Would you rather have it falling apart like Sleeping Beauty Castle over in DL in the early 2000's? It's a necessary evil. I hate it too....Dec of 06's Castle pics all have a crane.

I just don't understand why the crane work can't be done at night. It's not like they can't shine floodlights on the castle. The scaffolding isn't as obtrusive as a giant, very unmagical crane.

EPCOT Explorer

I just don't understand why the crane work can't be done at night. It's not like they can't shine floodlights on the castle. The scaffolding isn't as obtrusive as a giant, very unmagical crane.

Very true and I never thought of that. I guess they could, but I'm sure that there's a safety issue involved.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom