What's up with the changes in Stitch's Great Escape?

KevinPage

Well it was REFRESHING to see that the general public had such a horrid reaction to the attraction. All us nuts on the internet dislike it but when the GP is upset, Disney knows they need to correct a problem.

I honestly don't see how this is going to qwell any of the complaints.

Looks like they will have to continue to tweak the attraction but they probably wanted to get some "quick fixes" in place for the press event on 05/05/05.

I still am of the belief that no one is this stupid to really think this attraction will have any legs in its current incarnation & we'll see changes until it is right.

General Grizz

KevinPage said:
Well it was REFRESHING to see that the general public had such a horrid reaction to the attraction. All us nuts on the internet dislike it but when the GP is upset, Disney knows they need to correct a problem.

I honestly don't see how this is going to qwell any of the complaints.

Looks like they will have to continue to tweak the attraction but they probably wanted to get some "quick fixes" in place for the press event on 05/05/05.

I still am of the belief that no one is this stupid to really think this attraction will have any legs in its current incarnation & we'll see changes until it is right.
It's funny, Kevin Little, that you tell me change is alright after I crash into the fountain. :D

Nice little metaphor that just so happens to deal with this subject on hand... ;)

KevinPage

General Grizz said:
It's funny, Kevin Little, that you tell me change is alright after I crash into the fountain. :D

Nice little metaphor that just so happens to deal with this subject on hand... ;)

Well it was hard to squeeze in you falling through an IMAX screen and being impaled on the fountain. That was my original ida. :D

And I wonder where that top of the fountain piece ended up :confused:
:animwink: :animwink: :animwink:

GymLeaderPhil

I hit SGE last Friday... it was amusing because the canned kids voice was muffled by the screaming kids inside. Oh sweet irony.

I've been in there a couple of times and Stitch basically took a longer time walking back and forth looking around, taking longer to spit at the crowd, and the time the teleportation tube lowered at the finale was much shorter so that the Stitch AA could have some more face time.

One thing I did notice is that with the new Cinderella spot is that one of the alien controllers that asked Gantu what they should do with the recruits was cut. Gantu simply told the controllers to release the recruits, no questions asked.

In addition, it seems that I might have missed this, but the armrests light up? This was the first time I noticed this and I'm sure they were probably in AE, but I never noticed the armrests doing anything in the show.

thimblekisses

Original Poster
GymLeaderPhil said:
In addition, it seems that I might have missed this, but the armrests light up? This was the first time I noticed this and I'm sure they were probably in AE, but I never noticed the armrests doing anything in the show.

i'm usually too busy thinking about how HORRIBLY uncomfortable the seats are to notice whether they light up or not!:rolleyes:

Disney_dude

Account Suspended
It has been said MANY,MANY,MANY, times. Disney realy messed up with getting rid of AE and replacing it with SGE. It's a sorry excuse for an atttraction and will remain so untill it' sreplaced with something else. Now God willing tey will replace it (VERY SOON) with somehing actualy wort visiting, but if the past tells us anything, it'll eaither remain and continue to drag the park down, or it'll be replaced with anothe lame "fluffy, cute, care bear" waste of space.

Tim G

KevinPage said:
What really bothers me is how can WDI be this "stupid" (for lack of a better word).

I mean, how in the world can any normal person not 'cringe' at the original script, let alone these new additions. They may have somewhat addressed the "scary factor" but have made the script even WORSE.

Unless management is totally belligerent and mandates these exact changes, someone's head at WDI should roll for this.

And how can Al Weiss, president of WDW actually give this a thumbs up (assuming they have to run this by him as well) :veryconfu :veryconfu
At least that's a question easy to be answered...
WDI really liked Alien Encounter...
Guests wanted it to be change to a happier, toned down thing... NOT WDI
Al didn't want it to change...
It was changed bij popular (read: naggin' parents) demand...

It's quite impossible to change a good ride into something playful...
But that's what guests do, nowadays you can't satisfy people if it hasn't got a Roller Coaster... :( :( :(

We all Love Stitch, but not in this ride!!!

Greetz! :D

KevinPage

Corrus said:

It's quite impossible to change a good ride into something playful...
But that's what guests do, nowadays you can't satisfy people if it hasn't got a Roller Coaster... :( :( :(
Greetz! :D

I understand that not everyone in management or WDI is always going to agree with a specific change, but that still doesn't excuse the lack of overall quality in the attraction.

If people were upset that the ride is too "kiddie" is one thing. But the main gripe is that it's so lousy overall.

Whether the creators wanted to change the ride or not is immaterial. They had to address a problem with positive results, and they have yet to do that.

dxwwf3

Corrus said:

Thank you Corrus for renewing my faith in WDI :lol:

I always new those guys had good taste :animwink:

MicBat

thimblekisses said:
i'm usually too busy thinking about how HORRIBLY uncomfortable the seats are to notice whether they light up or not!:rolleyes:
:lol: The backrests only go about halfway up your back! Were the seats in AE this way as well?!

Empress Room

dxwwf3 said:
I seriously hope that this was a joke. Comparing AE's story to SGE's story is like comparing Hamlet to The Cat in the Hat :lol: Of course they both have different target audiences, so of course SGE shouldn't have as much backstory and as many story elements as AE had and that is completely understandable. Maybe you are confusing story with room layout? I don't know.

dxwwf3 - it appears that your avatar is skewing your reasoning.

Let's look at the facts: AE utilized the MTM theatre to create an alien-in-the-dark attraction. It had a clever script/story and is/was favored by several posters on these boards (including yourself, I assume, given that avatar and signature). I don't disagree with your fondness for the attraction.

However, AE apparently wasn't working. In Disney's judgment (right or wrong) it apparently was not popular enough, was too frightening for small children, was the recipient of too many guest complaints or any number of other criticisms. Disney makes the decision, therefore, to rework AE by overlaying a cute character and making it more kid-friendly. But the theme/story is the same, like it or not: alien transporter/teleporter, darkness, event occurs, something goes wrong, chaos ensues, 4-D effects triggered. Inherently, therefore, logic dictates that whatever was "wrong" with AE is, at least in part, is passed on to SGE (otherwise, AE would still be an attraction).

Could an absolutely new imagineering script/story make SGE a great attraction? Possibly. I'm guessing, however, that any script/story that plays off the AE theme will undoubtedly suffer (in the minds of some guests) as being the equivalent to AE. Is that room/theatre layout? Maybe in part. Is that the technology associated with the attraction? Again, in part. But no matter what one does to the "story," the unsuccessful AE theme remains.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Empress Room said:
However, AE apparently wasn't working. In Disney's judgment (right or wrong) it apparently was not popular enough, was too frightening for small children, was the recipient of too many guest complaints or any number of other criticisms.

Not wishing to gatecrash this discussion, or ressurect old threads, but lets remember that the AE complaints came from guests too ignorant or too stupid to head the (many) warnings of the Extra TERRORestrial Alien Encounter and take their kids in.. then complain when they got scared. Vocal minority against the silent majority.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
marni1971 said:
Not wishing to gatecrash this discussion, or ressurect old threads, but lets remember that the AE complaints came from guests too ignorant or too stupid to head the (many) warnings of the Extra TERRORestrial Alien Encounter and take their kids in.. then complain when they got scared. Vocal minority against the silent majority.

That is very true. As with Mission Space, the warnings that Disney give out are often never taken seriously. People then get scared, sick, and then decide to complain. It is a real shame.

aklodge

wdwmagic said:
That is very true. As with Mission Space, the warnings that Disney give out are often never taken seriously. People then get scared, sick, and then decide to complain. It is a real shame.
Yes and it is very sad when they tell you before you get on Mission: Space about 50 million times that if anyone that has motion sickness or anything like that not to ride, yet they do it anyway and then they complain saying that Disney should shut the ride down.

-SIR-

Very True... the idea of Alien Encounter should have been saved... its a shame to bury millions of dollars as well as an amazing storyline and direction by Lucas all because people dumb enough to take thier small children on, this should have been put into MGM and maybe it would still be there today.

Stitch is a bad show that just keeps getting worse... I have a feeling its gonna end up like Imagination... It's a shame its happened at the signature park this time :(

Snapper Bean

Most people are asked to do something at their jobs with which they might disagree. The fact that WDI may have disagreed with the Stich overlay on AE to me is not an excuse to generate such a horrid script.

dxwwf3

Empress Room said:
dxwwf3 - it appears that your avatar is skewing your reasoning.

Let's look at the facts: AE utilized the MTM theatre to create an alien-in-the-dark attraction. It had a clever script/story and is/was favored by several posters on these boards (including yourself, I assume, given that avatar and signature). I don't disagree with your fondness for the attraction.

However, AE apparently wasn't working. In Disney's judgment (right or wrong) it apparently was not popular enough, was too frightening for small children, was the recipient of too many guest complaints or any number of other criticisms. Disney makes the decision, therefore, to rework AE by overlaying a cute character and making it more kid-friendly. But the theme/story is the same, like it or not: alien transporter/teleporter, darkness, event occurs, something goes wrong, chaos ensues, 4-D effects triggered. Inherently, therefore, logic dictates that whatever was "wrong" with AE is, at least in part, is passed on to SGE (otherwise, AE would still be an attraction).

Could an absolutely new imagineering script/story make SGE a great attraction? Possibly. I'm guessing, however, that any script/story that plays off the AE theme will undoubtedly suffer (in the minds of some guests) as being the equivalent to AE. Is that room/theatre layout? Maybe in part. Is that the technology associated with the attraction? Again, in part. But no matter what one does to the "story," the unsuccessful AE theme remains.

Actually I was trying to be as non biased on that post as I could be. But you brought up a difference in your last paragraph that I think will solve our discussion. You mention the "AE theme" and I associate theme and story as being different things. The "theme" of AE and SGE is "alien transporter/teleporter, darkness, event occurs, something goes wrong, chaos ensues, 4-D effects triggered." And maybe I am wrong in the termonology here, but that what I think of as the theme. When I think of the "story" I think of the backstory in and the characters in the attractions. And, to me, the theme of the attraction is no excuse to create such a poor story.

And your last sentence there is accurate. Except I don't think that the AE theme was unseccesssful at all. Alot of people really loved the attraction and as Martin said "the vocal minority overpowered the silent majority". BUT the AE theme would be unsuccessful if used for different purposes that what it was originally created for. And what I'm getting at there is plain and simple: The AE effects and technology WAS NOT created for a children's show. And there is where the problem is. You can't take an adult, dark comedy, thrill show (or whatever you want to call it) and change so little (as what happened in creating SGE) and expect the new family attraction to be successful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom