What's the deal with the Haunted Mansion?

Brad Bishop

Also, the special effects continue to wow people, unless you look it up on the internet the ballroom peppers ghost continues to inspire “how did they do that”

I think that this is key. Lots of amusement parks have "haunted houses" - and they're all the same and they all suck. Haunted Mansion shows what you can do with a little effort (well, ≈10 years of effort). In a normal haunted house you have things in ultraviolet paint popping out at you, the traditional "I'M ABOUT TO BE HIT BY A TRAIN/TRUCK!" section, loud buzzers, sirens - just a bunch of random stuff.

In the Haunted Mansion you have pictures that change as you pass by them, busts that follow your movements, ghosts that you can see through, etc... Yeah, you have the goofier graveyard scene with the pop-ups but even this is well done.

Heck, with the Haunted Mansion you open with a guy hanging from the rafters. That's awesome all on it's own.

Raineman

HM, to me, is the perfect dark ride and is one of, if not the best dark rides in the world.
When I was a kid, every cheesy carnival haunted house always made me anxious and scared the crap out of me. I have always found HM to be kinda creepy, not scary, but fun at the same time. Also, if you look at the majority of Disney theme park attractions, they are light hearted, alot of princesses and classic animated characters. HM has a darker tone to it, a more sinister feel and story than almost everything else, and I think that appeals to alot of people. And, the technologies that the ride uses are classic but still as effective as they were 50 years ago. I've been on HM probably 20 times or more, and each time I always see a small detail that I've never noticed, which keeps it fresh for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom