What's the deal with the Haunted Mansion?

Animaniac93-98

My 10 year old is autistic and it's his favorite ride. It's private, you get your own doom buggy, it's dark and it's long. The experience feels very personal. I adore it. It reminds me of old Vincent Price movies.
Now that you mention it, YES! Especially some of the Poe adaptations he did, when there was a very close quarters feeling, very intimate and the heightening of the spookiness from that.

WDW's Haunted Mansion opened the same year as the first Dr Phibes movie. Disneyland's version was the same year as Scooby Doo's debut.

From the late 50s to the late 60s there was a whole pop culture obsession with Gothic horror that included a renewed interest in the old Universal Horrors, newer takes on the genre by Hammer and Roger Corman and TV content including spoofs (Munters, Adam's Family) and more serious shows (Dark Shawdows).

Disney's Haunted Mansion successful distilled all of this into one singular experience that made it both highly relevant and timeless. It was a classic from the moment it opened, not only because of its overall quality, but because of the symbolism and tradition it represented.

TraderSam

I find that I'm not that well versed on Disney history and hearing from those who love it helps me understand their reasoning.

The history behind its making is just as fun as the attraction, IMHO. The different elements, creepy and funny, are attributable to two of its imagineers, Claude Coats and Yale Gracey. And the chess pieces on top from Marc Davis are another fun bit of lore.

wplong1

Premium Member
Its a lengthy dark ride with so many animatronics and effects to look at that people can ride it 100 times and notice something new each ride. Its pretty much the opposite direction disney has been taking with their rides recently.
In two sentences summed up EVERYTHING that is right for me about the classic Disney MK and Epcot rides and EVERYTHING that is wrong for me about the new ones.... Don't get me wrong, I like many of the new rides. But they are too short, and I don't feel the need to ride them over and over again like I do with Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, Spaceship Earth, and lost Epcot classics. The new rides are kind of once and done. Soarin is a great example. First time blows your mind. Second time 90% less. Now don't always ride it and certainly wouldn't wait for it.

ppete1975

Let me get this straight... you want to "clean" HM?
i don't like to say refurb as that sounds too intense. But go through it make sure all the effects sounds lighting are at their best, squirt some wd40 on the track lol
id like to see most rides at all theme parks get more often cleanings to ensure top notch show

tirian

i don't like to say refurb as that sounds too intense. But go through it make sure all the effects sounds lighting are at their best, squirt some wd40 on the track lol
id like to see most rides at all theme parks get more often cleanings to ensure top notch show
It’s what 3rd shift did for the first 25 years of the MK’s existence. ;)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Perhaps "tune-up" is a better term, because if they clean HM, it won't look the same without all the dust and cobwebs... same problem at ToT in DHS.

aladdin2007

Im sure its already been posted somewhere but I noticed yesterday changes in procedure at the mansion. They now (Im guessing because of the incident a week or two ago) only take very few people at a time into the stretching room, no longer filling it or cramming you in like they always did. It was so nice this way, and it also took away the awful bottle neck of the loading room and cast not having to yell at people to keep moving. But it means standby lines will be waiting forever. I would guess it was only about 10 people they were letting in at a time if that...should be interesting.

KBLovedDisney

Im sure its already been posted somewhere but I noticed yesterday changes in procedure at the mansion. They now (Im guessing because of the incident a week or two ago) only take very few people at a time into the stretching room, no longer filling it or cramming you in like they always did. It was so nice this way, and it also took away the awful bottle neck of the loading room and cast not having to yell at people to keep moving. But it means standby lines will be waiting forever. I would guess it was only about 10 people they were letting in at a time if that...should be interesting.
Wait. What happened?? I miss this "incident" news.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

Pepper's Ghost

In my boredom (and quite frankly sick of all the COVID-19 threads) I was digging and came across this one. Wonder how I found it. :rolleyes: Just wanted to revive it for at least one more post because I have completely different reasons (in addition to many already mentioned) for my love of the ride. :) And here we go: 🤪
  • Let me start with the fact that I'm not the kind of person who paints/colors his nails and hair black. I'm not a "misfit". By several measures I'm a normal guy (maybe a bit goofy) 🤪 but, I'm a HUGE Halloween fan. I'm a huge fan of all things spooky, creepy, and scary. I'm "that house" in the area that decorates all out for Halloween that people stop in front of for long periods of time to take it in, and of course have an annual Halloween party. So, just seeing the WDW HM from a distance on my first visit which was as a 26 year-old, I was enthralled. Kindred spirits... mine and 999 more in that creepy house!
  • I was completely unaware of anything Disney related at the parks on my first visit. I never researched or talked to anyone. Never heard anything about any rides. It wasn't remotely on my radar, so going on basically any ride was an experience for me, but given my love for spooky things even at a young age, this one left it's mark on me.
  • I always enjoyed haunted houses, Fright Fest, etc. The HM was just superior to all those experiences.
  • Most people enjoy to be spooked/scared. It actually is a chemical reaction that gives pleasure. In case you don't believe me... here's an article. Now, the HM isn't exactly scary, but it can still produce a similar reaction.
Although i think a short closure and clean would be nice (several rides could use that though.. im looking at you space mountain).

Ummm, no. Because of this...

Perhaps "tune-up" is a better term, because if they clean HM, it won't look the same without all the dust and cobwebs... same problem at ToT in DHS.

Even Walt said "we'll pimp the outside. The ghosts will pimp the inside".... or somethin' like that. I don't think that's a direct quote, but NO CLEANING! 🤣🤪

Pepper's Ghost

In an alternate universe where Paul Frees was never born, Vincent Price would be my next choice for the Ghost Host.
I always thought that Vincent Price should have been the narrator.
The current narration is a mix of English and French, using audio Price recorded for the attraction before he died.

His original English narration that was briefly used in 1992 was released to CD and you can listen to it on YouTube.

I would've thought so, as I'm a big fan of Vincent Price, but I listened to his narration as Animaniac suggested, and blah. Maybe it was because he was much older at the time??

ppete1975

In my boredom (and quite frankly sick of all the COVID-19 threads) I was digging and came across this one. Wonder how I found it. :rolleyes: Just wanted to revive it for at least one more post because I have completely different reasons (in addition to many already mentioned) for my love of the ride. :) And here we go: 🤪
  • Let me start with the fact that I'm not the kind of person who paints/colors his nails and hair black. I'm not a "misfit". By several measures I'm a normal guy (maybe a bit goofy) 🤪 but, I'm a HUGE Halloween fan. I'm a huge fan of all things spooky, creepy, and scary. I'm "that house" in the area that decorates all out for Halloween that people stop in front of for long periods of time to take it in, and of course have an annual Halloween party. So, just seeing the WDW HM from a distance on my first visit which was as a 26 year-old, I was enthralled. Kindred spirits... mine and 999 more in that creepy house!
  • I was completely unaware of anything Disney related at the parks on my first visit. I never researched or talked to anyone. Never heard anything about any rides. It wasn't remotely on my radar, so going on basically any ride was an experience for me, but given my love for spooky things even at a young age, this one left it's mark on me.
  • I always enjoyed haunted houses, Fright Fest, etc. The HM was just superior to all those experiences.
  • Most people enjoy to be spooked/scared. It actually is a chemical reaction that gives pleasure. In case you don't believe me... here's an article. Now, the HM isn't exactly scary, but it can still produce a similar reaction.

Ummm, no. Because of this...

Even Walt said "we'll pimp the outside. The ghosts will pimp the inside".... or somethin' like that. I don't think that's a direct quote, but NO CLEANING! 🤣🤪
lol so you decided to call people out for bad phrasing.. what a year ago? Lets look back at what I said, that it needed a short closure for a cleanup (meaning tuneup) that was to fix the track a bit lube everything, get all the speakers working perfectly, make sure the audio and lightning working perfectly again (all Disney rides could use this) of course you keep the spooky dirty aspects… guess what happened after this.. the ride broke several times with one that could have been very dangerous. Pretty sure walt didn't want the ghosts letting years of lack of maintenance to make the ride not as enjoyable year by year.
Oh and im pretty sure Walt never used the term "pimp"

Pepper's Ghost

lol so you decided to call people out for bad phrasing.. what a year ago? Lets look back at what I said, that it needed a short closure for a cleanup (meaning tuneup) that was to fix the track a bit lube everything, get all the speakers working perfectly, make sure the audio and lightning working perfectly again (all Disney rides could use this) of course you keep the spooky dirty aspects… guess what happened after this.. the ride broke several times with one that could have been very dangerous. Pretty sure walt didn't want the ghosts letting years of lack of maintenance to make the ride not as enjoyable year by year.
Oh and im pretty sure Walt never used the term "pimp"

LOL! 🤣 Nah, not calling anyone out. Just messin' around. 😁 I thought it was a hilarious term to use given the discussion was about an atmosphere that's supposed to be decrepit. When I read that I had to pick at the 6-month old scab. lol 🤪

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom