What's the deal with clones?

mharrington

Original Poster
Why is everyone so objectionable about clones, not just at WDW, but any Disney park, period?

We should never forget that not everyone can make it to every park in the world.

SeaCastle

I'm not totally objected to clones, since there are some obvious benefits to having them. Plus, usually the clones are not identical, in the case of every clone I can think of, there are major differences.

The case I have for against cloning is that it gives less of an incentive for us to visit other parks. If the Magic Kingdom was a complete clone of Disneyland, why would I want to visit Disneyland after visiting WDW for 10 years? Indiana Jones Adventure, Matterhorn, and the Submarines are a few non-WDW rides that help define what Disneyland is. That's just one example, but I believe that each Disney park should have its own identity.

Horizons1

It's the identity issue. With nothing but clones a park has absolutely no reason to stand out from the rest of them. The MK is slowly getting there.

BrerFrog

I wouldn't mind if WDW got some clones. Indy, Ride and Go Seek, Pooh's Honey Hunt and A Journey to the Center of the Earth come to mind.

Spike-in-Berlin

I wouldn't mind if WDW got some clones. Indy, Ride and Go Seek, Pooh's Honey Hunt and A Journey to the Center of the Earth come to mind.

If they would built Indiana Jones Adventure or Journey to the Center of the Earth in DLP, each of these attractions would be more than enough to convince me finally to visit DLP again, although I really don't like it. So much about clones.

ScrapIron

It's the identity issue. With nothing but clones a park has absolutely no reason to stand out from the rest of them. The MK is slowly getting there.

Really? Other than the upcoming VOTLM, the most recent clone (perhaps more accurately called a duplicate attraction with differences) I can think of is Pooh from 1994. Unless you count the temporary Cinderellabration show, I guess.

Three weeks from today I'll be in the MK for the first time since 2005, and am looking forward to the attractions unique to that park, at least in the USA, including those that aren't exactly top-shelf. These include CBJ, HoP, MP, CoP, MILF, TTA, even SGE (that chili-dog odor is a bed of roses compared to the stench that came off of SuperStar Limo at DCA). I may even ride flying carpet Dumbo for completeness (think that's at DSP now, but built after the MK one).

I have mixed views on clones. It can seem lazy to duplicate attractions, but I am aware of the cost/business conditions that must be considered. Opening at different parks at the same time (more or less) like with MM and VOTLM leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I fear VOTLM may be a true identical clone. Unless it's a film based attraction, though, they often tend to have some differences from park to park. I've ridden multiple Space, Splash and Big Thunder Mountains, and they all have differences.

A bientot.

Buried20KLeague

Really? Other than the upcoming VOTLM, the most recent clone (perhaps more accurately called a duplicate attraction with differences) I can think of is Pooh from 1994. Unless you count the temporary Cinderellabration show, I guess.

Three weeks from today I'll be in the MK for the first time since 2005, and am looking forward to the attractions unique to that park, at least in the USA, including those that aren't exactly top-shelf. These include CBJ, HoP, MP, CoP, MILF, TTA, even SGE (that chili-dog odor is a bed of roses compared to the stench that came off of SuperStar Limo at DCA). I may even ride flying carpet Dumbo for completeness (think that's at DSP now, but built after the MK one).

I have mixed views on clones. It can seem lazy to duplicate attractions, but I am aware of the cost/business conditions that must be considered. Opening at different parks at the same time (more or less) like with MM and VOTLM leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I fear VOTLM may be a true identical clone. Unless it's a film based attraction, though, they often tend to have some differences from park to park. I've ridden multiple Space, Splash and Big Thunder Mountains, and they all have differences.

A bientot.

Toy story mania? Lights, motors, action? Fastasmic (slightly different, admittedly)? Soarin'?

Those are all since 94. And I'm sure I'm missing some.

Edit to add: Buzz.

Not sure how you wouldn't agree the parks are becoming homoginized. Heck, Disney hasn't even been shy about it.

WDW Monorail

The cloning of attractions is beneficial to both guests and the company.
For example, I don't have to go to DCA to ride Soarin' because I've ridden it in EPCOT. The same goes for any other attraction.
There are economic benefits for the company as well. If you can streamline your product, you're going to save a bit.

The Empress Lilly

Why is everyone so objectionable about clones, not just at WDW, but any Disney park, period?

We should never forget that not everyone can make it to every park in the world.
Hah! Exactly what I've been thinking for some time too!

A ride gets cloned, and objections will be voiced that a park needs 'an original'. I don't understand that. Realistically, how many of us visit multiple parks several times?

Me, I couldn't care less if a ride is a clone. I've visited Paris several times because I live nearby, and have visited my great love WDW regularly.
Other than that though, I've seen DL once, and if I'm lucky, I'll see it one more time in my lifetime. Tokyo, I'm hoping to visit it one day, which will be a once in a lifetime trip. Maybe if Hong Kong DL develops into a worthy destination, I'll visit it. More likely though I will never do so.

It has little effect on me if a ride gets cloned three or four times. :shrug:

Fantasmic

Pooh opened in the MK in 1999, and was the first of the pooh rides... so... not a clone.

Personally, I don't mind clones, what I DO like is being able to say "I've rode the original" - which I can do for all the WDW orginals (tot, rnrc. pooh, buzz, space mnt etc)

I can't wait for the day when I can say that about the Disneyland originals!

WDW Monorail

I have a little bit more to add.

Many people are agianst clones but those same people are the ones who say "I wish WDW could build a ride like that or have a show like that".

Strange :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom