What's Still On and What's Now Off

Josh Hendy

Food at Disney in the 90s and early 00s was outstanding. Then came the DDP. Everything started becoming homogenized.
It's called "financial imagineering" 😆😆😆😄😄😄

Admit it ... what with the expansion of debt, stock buybacks, rising prices, cheapened, crowded theme parks, DVC ubiquity, merch mania, classic movie rehashes, massive acquisitions and whatnot ... the aughties and teens were a helluva golden age for shareholders and a creative triumph for the beancounting wizards. Give credit where it's due!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I had this sort of weird idea that maybe, at first, they should just open MK itself as a walk-thru attraction with some things like the train, steamboat, and TTA running (without guests) to provide some ambiance. They could have controlled M&G's with costumed characters and some of the shops and restaurants could open too. People could get their castle pictures and enjoy the finer details of things they may otherwise overlook. At first I thought it would be really neat if it was completely free but that probably wouldn't make any financial sense and could possibly lead irresponsibly large crowds if attendance was not limited. I'm not sure even a modest entrance fee would cover it. I also realized that not a lot of people, relatively speaking, would be willing to travel any kind of significant distance to attend such a thing.

A walk-through would probably be best at first...

1586867393865.png

Lilofan

Not to mention its one of the filthiest spots I have ever seen.
One of the tastiest got dogs around is NYC street vendors. The big secret is that some vendors never change their own water pan were the hot dogs are floating in. Similar to some barbeque pit grill places in TX. The grill is not cleaned and the meat just keeps cooking daily everyday on the hot grill.

tirian

I would doubt nearly everyone's credibility on nearly every topic.

I worked in a corporation, not in the boardroom or in senior management but I knew a lot of the honchos quite well. I met them frequently around the water cooler and if there were any hints made about important upcoming events, projects and decisions I would have heard them. But the thing is, I DIDN'T hear the actual facts, because the people really in the know weren't going to tell me or any of my colleagues. I only learned important news when it was officially announced, like everyone else.

Once, one of my friends was involved in a merger with another company and he didn't say "boo" to me about it because he was expressly warned of the legal jeopardy he would be in for leaking anything.

The only time I ever heard an important piece of information before the public was once when my friend who had let's say, ethical issues, logged onto someone else's computer and read about a plan to launch a subsidiary.

It is beyond absurd that anyone legitimately "in the know" at a large company like Disney would casually blab about this or that project being greenlit or cancelled to a friend or acquaintance EVEN if they work for the same company, and ESPECIALLY if they don't work for the company and they run a blog or is a busy beaver on social media.

99% of the time, "I have an inside source" is a lie.
I agree on some points and disagree on others; you have to understand Disney’s corporate culture and bureaucracy to understand the “leaks.”

WDI has only improved its online secrecy over the last few years. For a long time, their projects leaked like an old wooden bucket. They use so many contractors, file so many reports, and take so many tours of the parks that it’s difficult to hide the fact that something, anything, is happening. WDI functioned for decades without having to guard themselves from fan forums, and they had to learn how to look over their shoulders within the Disney bubble.

When Lasseter briefly headed up WDI and brought his secrecy from Pixar, the leaks dried up. To further track the leaks, leaders also spread false rumors and insane blue-sky ideas that were never considered (hello, tunnel to Tom Sawyer Island with a Frontierland expansion).

At that point, a handful of legit insiders still had friends because...

...Disney’s culture is a permanent high school. Everybody talks. Everybody gossips. This is how the infamous “bus driver” rumors develop, as bits and pieces of legit plans trickle through the break rooms.

Maybe your business practices silence, and my own line of work also demands secrecy. But in a high-school culture where everyone has to brag about something, legit plans often leak out as the Disney equivalent of h.s. “locker-room talk.”

Just the same, I agree that 99% of self-proclaimed insiders are full of BS on any forum about any subject. We’re lucky to have a handful of legitimate industry insiders here, but of course we have plenty of posers too.

This also parallels the rise in planted forum members whom corporations pay to protect the co’s reputation. That’s when you get the pixie dusters and the self-proclaimed experts who never drop any information, but tail the few legit insiders to contradict legitimate claims. They’re usually paid or premium members who suddenly appear and pursue petty arguments. But they’re an integral part of the corporate response to the early, Wild West days of forum leaks.

chama1

Thanks for reply...nooooowwww I'm wondering...if this crisis gets worse (and it will), what will the "Board" decide as far due to their loss profit margins, what will they "reduce" to entice ppl to return?....Disney has to get them in the parks. If they do this you know all the parks will follow...maybe?

UNCgolf

Casey’s hot dogs are so bad they don’t qualify as a hot dog. They’re “consistent” at least though😉

Could not disagree more; their hot dogs are as good or better than hot dogs I've had almost anywhere -- not that hot dogs are some kind of gourmet food where there's a huge difference in quality, of course.

With that said, however, if you get a hot dog from one of the hot dog carts (like in Animal Kingdom), you may as well be playing Russian Roulette. Those things are absolutely disgusting.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Could not disagree more; their hot dogs are as good or better than hot dogs I've had almost anywhere -- not that hot dogs are some kind of gourmet food where there's a huge difference in quality, of course.

With that said, however, if you get a hot dog from one of the hot dog carts (like in Animal Kingdom), you may as well be playing Russian Roulette. Those things are absolutely disgusting.
Honestly...that tells me you’ve not had good hot dogs.

It’s not you’re fault...usually geography is the culprit. If you don’t spend a lot of time in the northeast or across the Great Lakes region...or bavaria...the cased meats just aren’t up to snuff.

UNCgolf

Honestly...that tells me you’ve not had good hot dogs.

It’s not you’re fault...usually geography is the culprit. If you don’t spend a lot of time in the northeast or across the Great Lakes region...or bavaria...the cased meats just aren’t up to snuff.

Wait, are you lumping in bratwurst etc. as hot dogs?

To me, they are different things. When I say hot dog, I'm specifically only talking about the American processed product, not German sausages/wieners.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’d keep an eye on Reflections.
...like...with one of those cool camera drones? 😁
Seems like an easy project to delay/cancel as it doesn't look like any vertical construction has even started.
Well...from that picture posted above - which is 20 days old - it appears they have just done the site clearing of river country and possibly some main utility ground work...which can be abandoned at anytime.

UNCgolf

I wasn’t...I was talking about different variations on good frankfurters.

Casey’s remind me of “Pittsburgh dogs”...they may even have chicken or turkey in them? Ewww...just no

I probably should have also specified they are as good or better than any hot dogs you'll find at any similar location (theme parks, street vendors, sporting events, etc.).

You can get some really great thick all beef hot dogs in some places that are definitely better than Casey's, but Casey's is a lot better than I expected from a theme park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom