What's Still On and What's Now Off

jt04

There are so many variables in play that this is one of many outcomes. For someone in management to say this with certainty when the there is so much uncertainty seems foolish

Abandonment is also a peculiar choice of words. Especially given the listed items.

I'm on the same wavelength. šŸ—¼

Sir_Cliff

... but if there's a scenario where Disney can't open through the summer... the whole company could at that point be faced with bankruptcy.
I think this surprises me less than it seems to a lot of people.

They have been throwing around money like crazy and just spent tens of billions to acquire Fox. Suddenly, they not only have no revenue but must be bleeding money.

I'm pretty sure Disney could find ways to raise funding and keep themselves afloat, but I'd imagine their financial situation is a lot more precarious than people would imagine in this kind of nightmare scenario.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think this surprises me less than it seems to a lot of people.

They have been throwing around money like crazy and just spent tens of billions to acquire Fox. Suddenly, they not only have no revenue but must be bleeding money.

I'm pretty sure Disney could find ways to raise funding and keep themselves afloat, but I'd imagine their financial situation is a lot more precarious than people would imagine in this kind of nightmare scenario.
Uncle Iger, where are you now?

Oh.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Coincidentally I just got a Touring Plans update for my May and August Trips. May is for Memorial Day weekend. May was slightly down mostly 1-2 points per day per park. August was way up 4 went to 10 etc.

TrainsOfDisney

If the company is in that much trouble...why would they keep EPCOT closed? Wouldnā€™t they want to exhaust any revenue stream?

I get the park is constructionland but Iā€™m not sure how I feel about this. Doesnā€™t seem like a smart business move they have a new ride thats about to open. Or maybe they want people to stay away?

Iā€™m not bragging... but I predicted Epcot remaining closed a long time ago. Once they sent the CP home and laid off the world showcase entertainment it seemed pretty much done.

The parks will not be the same for a while. The more that is open the more cast they will have to pay. Epcot is the most cast heavy park Iā€™m pretty sure.

Having Epcot closed reduces transportation in all departments (skyline, monorail, busses and boats).

IF they get back to ā€œnormalā€ by fall they could try to do F&W but even that seems unlikely. At this point Iā€™m guessing that if things settle down and moderate crowds return they could reopen for holidays around the world.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
I know I said I wouldn't be posting anything during the pandemic, but I received some information about the severity of cuts coming for projects at WDW. I thought I'd make a brief post about that, although there are much more important issues in the world today. I likely won't be checking in often for conversation, but I may reply from time to time.

What's Likely to Be Completed:
  • Tron Coaster
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Coaster
  • Cinderella Castle Retheme
  • Ratatouille
  • Space 220
What's Likely to Be Delayed:
  • Innoventions Demo
  • MFSR Update
  • Harmonious
What's Currenty Being Looked at for Abandonment:
  • Mary Poppins Expansion
  • Moana Expansion
  • Unannounced Journey Into Imagination Upgrade
  • Star Wars Hotel
  • Galaxy's Edge Expansions / Upgrades
  • Spaceship Earth Refurb
  • Wonders of Life Pavilion Retheme
  • Coco Attraction
  • Reflections Lakeside Lodge
  • Every other potential addition not listed here
Furthermore, Disney is currently working on a plan for what re-opening WDW looks like. Every week it is shut down, it becomes more difficult to reopen. In the best case scenario where WDW can be reopened in May, while still taking massive precautions during a global pandemic, this is the general outline:

Magic Kingdom reopens with 50% capacity. No parades, no fireworks, no indoor theaters, significant number of rides down.
Epcot not currently planned to reopen with the other parks.
DHS reopens with 40% capacity. No parades, no indoor theaters.
Animal Kingdom reopens with 50% capacity. No indoor theaters.
No plans to reopen Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon in the near term.
All ride vehicles would require mandatory wipe down once in station.
No character meets.
Distancing encouraged.

This feels like worse case scenario honestly. I think construction wise, anything not started or in early stages we can say goodbye to. Anything else I imagine they will finish. The SW hotel is an interesting one because of the money to run it and potentially less people wanting to go to it in the short-term. I could see a year or two delay for that.

When we say indoor theaters, can we get a definition on that?

Thanks!

Lilofan

This feels like worse case scenario honestly. I think construction wise, anything not started or in early stages we can say goodbye to. Anything else I imagine they will finish. The SW hotel is an interesting one because of the money to run it and potentially less people wanting to go to it in the short-term. I could see a year or two delay for that.

When we say indoor theaters, can we get a definition on that?

Thanks!
Indoor theatres I would think would be
American Adventure
France
Canada
Muppet 3D
Voyage of Little Mermaid

The Grand Inquisitor

I know I said I wouldn't be posting anything during the pandemic, but I received some information about the severity of cuts coming for projects at WDW. I thought I'd make a brief post about that, although there are much more important issues in the world today. I likely won't be checking in often for conversation, but I may reply from time to time.

What's Likely to Be Completed:
  • Tron Coaster
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Coaster
  • Cinderella Castle Retheme
  • Ratatouille
  • Space 220
What's Likely to Be Delayed:
  • Innoventions Demo
  • MFSR Update
  • Harmonious
What's Currenty Being Looked at for Abandonment:
  • Mary Poppins Expansion
  • Moana Expansion
  • Unannounced Journey Into Imagination Upgrade
  • Star Wars Hotel
  • Galaxy's Edge Expansions / Upgrades
  • Spaceship Earth Refurb
  • Wonders of Life Pavilion Retheme
  • Coco Attraction
  • Reflections Lakeside Lodge
  • Every other potential addition not listed here
Furthermore, Disney is currently working on a plan for what re-opening WDW looks like. Every week it is shut down, it becomes more difficult to reopen. In the best case scenario where WDW can be reopened in May, while still taking massive precautions during a global pandemic, this is the general outline:

Magic Kingdom reopens with 50% capacity. No parades, no fireworks, no indoor theaters, significant number of rides down.
Epcot not currently planned to reopen with the other parks.
DHS reopens with 40% capacity. No parades, no indoor theaters.
Animal Kingdom reopens with 50% capacity. No indoor theaters.
No plans to reopen Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon in the near term.
All ride vehicles would require mandatory wipe down once in station.
No character meets.
Distancing encouraged.
Wow! This really stinks. The virus has really messed everything up. I hope Disney doesn't just go really cheap on the EPCOT plans. I really hope a lot of this stuff is not cancelled especially Mary Poppins, Coco, and the Galaxy's Edge expansion.

celluloid

Indoor theatres I would think would be
American Adventure
France
Canada
Muppet 3D
Voyage of Little Mermaid

Philharmagic, country bears, tiki room, carosuel of progress.
Ironically would make other attractions more crowded even if smaller attendence. The plan would not be worth it when you can be stuck on a boat /ride vehicle in a queue elsewhere. It is easier to wipe down a theater between show times than interrupting dispatch fluency and unloading.
Not a viable plan.

yensidtlaw1969

Uncle Iger, where are you now?

Oh.

giphy.gif

The Grand Inquisitor

The situation is serious enough that there is real talk about abandoning Guardians and letting it just sit for potentially years. Right now it's still on... but if there's a scenario where Disney can't open through the summer... the whole company could at that point be faced with bankruptcy.
Holy crap! That's nuts!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom