What's Still On and What's Now Off

Jeffxz

Yeah, no. That’s absolutely still happening. There’s no way they would cancel something that cheap and that far along.

I have no inside information, but if the plan is to cut park capacity then they don't need to have WOL open. They wouldn't want to pay to staff it or maintain it until attendance ramps up which might take 2+ years. This seems like an easy thing to let sit. No sense to finish it if it won't be used.

Sir_Cliff

Out of all those, the SW Hotel seems the most surprising. It's almost built and has been hyped for ages.

I could see delaying the opening for a while, but boarding it up I wouldn't have imagined.
Really? That seems like an obvious project to abandon to me.

For one thing, its viability seems to depend on people spending insane money to stay there. If one thing is certain, the economy will be in ruins at least for the short term once this crisis passes.

The other point is that suddenly the idea of a hotel simulating a cruise ship experience doesn't seem quite so appealing!

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

Really? That seems like an obvious project to abandon to me.

For one thing, its viability seems to depend on people spending insane money to stay there. If one thing is certain, the economy will be in ruins at least for the short term once this crisis pasts.

The other point is that suddenly the idea of a hotel simulating a cruise ship experience doesn't seem quite so appealing!

I’m certain that short term it will sit abandoned like the nature resort will.

Long term they would have a few options.

It was only going to get those prices with a lot of international guests who stay for weeks at a time that had the money and time to do something different.

yensidtlaw1969

People won't distance themselves at the grocery store. They're not going to do it at Disney either.

I wonder if they'll shutter the SW hotel as long as they shuttered the other half of Pop Century.
I had to run to Target yesterday and people were getting so close I was about to smack them with my umbrella. And I was with someone in a mask. Even if THEY didn't have the virus, how do they know WE didn't? It was infuriating and impacted my hope for us to get through this swiftly. And it wasn't crowded! People just weren't keeping their distance.

That was the first time I've been out of the house in 2 weeks and it didn't make me look forward to having to leave again.

/EndRant

Getting back on topic, what would it look like if Disney WERE to go bankrupt? What would that mean for the resort? I hope it doesn't come to that, but I'm curious what would happen if it did.

Kobe!!

Can someone help me find a thread where we can see what is still being worked on at Disney during these closures?

I feel for some unknown reason let's say everything goes back to normal in the world on 4/1 (whether it Disney related or not...) but Disney keeps their doors shut for another week or so... just my .02.

Touchdown

If things are this restricted I won’t be going. No live entertainment and cleaning requirements making for slow ride capacity will mean just as long lines. Not to mention, my favorite ADRs are in Epcot. WDW needing to do all these precautions will mean they opened too soon. Obviously I’m going to continue to wait this out.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
This is literally a nightmare...
There are so many variables in play that this is one of many outcomes. For someone in management to say this with certainty when the there is so much uncertainty seems foolish.

Abandonment is also a peculiar choice of words. Especially given the listed items and there level of completion and significance.

Surferboy567

If the company is in that much trouble...why would they keep EPCOT closed? Wouldn’t they want to exhaust any revenue stream?

I get the park is constructionland but I’m not sure how I feel about this. Doesn’t seem like a smart business move they have a new ride thats about to open. Or maybe they want people to stay away?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom