What's special about World Showcase?

JohnGry

Original Poster
We are heading to WDW in about a week, we've been there a few times before (F&W Festival great!) and always enjoy EPCOT the most. It seems we don't spend much time in World Showcase and then always regret not seeing all the sights in World Showcase.
But quite honestly, we are not sure what are the special sights of the World Showcase are?
What is everyones favorite part of World Showcase? Are there any can't miss attractions?

Craig & Lisa

We are heading to WDW in about a week, we've been there a few times before (F&W Festival great!) and always enjoy EPCOT the most. It seems we don't spend much time in World Showcase and then always regret not seeing all the sights in World Showcase.
But quite honestly, we are not sure what are the special sights of the World Showcase are?
What is everyones favorite part of World Showcase? Are there any can't miss attractions?
First you are going during the Food and Wine Festival, so much to sample. Then you have the attractions at some of the pavillions, and dinning at them too. Then you can ask the CM's working at the pavillions about their home countries, how long they've been there and such, I've found that to be interesting. And just sitting back and people watching. :animwink:

LuLaSue

IMHO The World Showcase is wonderful. This is where I actually start to relax on the Disney vacation. We love each of the attractions in the different pavillons no matter how small. DH and I love strolling from country to county catching a mini-production in one of them. I like to check every knook and cranny of each pavillion (each time we go I find something I didn't see the last time). As adults we like to sample some of the wines/beers from some of the different countries. My favorite is sitting on a park bench sipping on a Bellini from Italy while DH scopes out the trains in Germany (he reverts back to his childhood and is very sweet to watch).

RiversideBunny

Walk around the lake, starting on the left or on the right, and take a glance at each country. See the show or movie, if there's one. Skip the gift shops unless you're interested in a particular country. The gift shops can take up a lot of your time if you aren't careful.
World Showcase is very well named. You get to see a small view of each country, at least the Disney Epcot Center version.

At night can be more interesting than in the daytime for adults when everything is lit up. The day time can be better for kids because of some extra activities going on.

Good luck.
:king:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

As for "can't miss" attractions, the American Adventure if you haven't seen it. Other attractions include entertaining movies in China, Canada, and France, all of which I enjoy, but aren't "can't miss" things, and boat rides in Mexico and Norway, both of which I could take or leave.

But as others have said, the atmosphere in the various pavilions is really enjoyable. The shops are good, the food is by and large excellent. And take some time to see some of the entertainment. The World Showcase Players put on a very funny show; Off Kilter (are they still around) is a great band; the acrobats in China are entertaining; drummers in Japan, etc. I always try to catch at at least a couple of the short shows during a day at Epcot.

And, of course, Illuminations.

TikiBeckie

We can't miss the boat rides in Mexico and Norway. We must see the films in China, France and Canada. WE love the gift shops in Germany and Japan, and I love Morocco as I have travelled there. We LOVE the acrobats from China, and adore Off Kilter in Canada. We spend a whole day at the World Showcase!

DisneyChik17

The Venetian Masks. They are so beautiful and watching them being made is so neat.

The British Invasion. They are STELLAR! If you are even remotely a fan of The Beatles you CANNOT miss them.

The World Showcase Players. They are a great little "traveling theater" and they perform in The UK and Italy (to make the French mad :lol:). They are a riot.

As for everything else, I enjoy all the rides and browsing gift shops. My parents like the Margarita stand, but I still have some time before I can tell you if I enjoy it. I like some of the restaurants, but I am a VERY American eater.

Basically, do FW as fast as possible and then spend the rest of the time in the WS.

Tinkerbella16

World Showcase is awesome. We go in November every year, so walking around WS is so much fun, when the weather is as nice as it is in Nov. Last year was the first time I actually walked around the entire showcase, and had an amazing time. We stopped at each country, starting with the Mexico pavilion. I absolutely love Mexico and Italy. We never miss the boat rides at Mexico or Norway. As soon as I walk into Mexico, it feels like you are really in a mexican town, that is when I know I am at Epcot. Stopping in the Italy pavilion to pick up my hoodie, (every year I buy a new one). I think Italy has one of the best gift shops. 25 days and I'll be home again.

:sohappy:

EPCOT.nut

For years the routine that was never broken was to eat at San Angel Inn, have some margaritas and ride El Rio Del Tiempo.

Unfortunately the ride is not so relaxing and cool since Donald has killed it. :( Last time I went that ride was a total buzz kill.

I am currently working on a new routine! :lol: Gotta do the Norway ride and have a treat in their bakery. I always pass up France. If you can eat at Le Cellier please by all means do it! AH THE BREAD IS THE BEST! My favorite time at the WS is as it is getting to be evening and the sun starts to go down. It is a beautiful place to walk at a casual pace.

DisneyMarg

The World Showcase seems so much more laid back - a wonderful place for a meal and a stroll. I love the architecture and the attention to detail in each pavilion. But by far my favorite thing is all of the performers - acrobats in China, Off Kilter, the drummers in Japan, Voices of Liberty in AA (AWESOME), the candy maker in Japan, and more more more. I could (and actually have) spent all day just enjoying the performances.

doop

The entire experience is just awesome, it's really for me just a nice place to sit down and take all the sights in, and don't forget about the food! It's a nice break from running around to all the different attractions in Future World or in the other parks. Maelstrom is definitely my favorite attraction in WS though, it's a must see!

World Showcase is probably my favorite WDW area. We are planning most of one full day in our upcoming vacation just for WS. There is SO much to see and experience if you just take your time. Don't pass it up!

SweetMagic

Oh Meyla Weyla
For years the routine that was never broken was to eat at San Angel Inn, have some margaritas and ride El Rio Del Tiempo.

Unfortunately the ride is not so relaxing and cool since Donald has killed it. :( Last time I went that ride was a total buzz kill.

I agree with you completely on the ride in Mexico, but after reading the *other* thread on that topic I decided to try it one more time on Saturday and try to imagine that I'd never seen it before. It actually helps alot if you do that, and just try to laugh at the silly parts... (it still hurts though :lol:)

I am currently working on a new routine! :lol: Gotta do the Norway ride and have a treat in their bakery. I always pass up France. If you can eat at Le Cellier please by all means do it! AH THE BREAD IS THE BEST! My favorite time at the WS is as it is getting to be evening and the sun starts to go down. It is a beautiful place to walk at a casual pace.

You always pass up France!?!?!? Nooooooo, you can't do that :eek: It's got delicious desserts, a beautiful little courtyard with shops, and the movie, while I know some feel it's outdated, is sooooo incredibly beautiful! The music and the countryside and Mont St. Michel! Tell you what, you try France next time as though you've never been to Epcot before, and I'll try something I usually pass up that you like and then we'll compare notes afterward. Just tell me which other countries you like besides Norway, because I do that too :animwink:

Gorjus

If your thing at Disney is to ride rides...
If you go to the Studios and ride RnRC & TOT & Star Tours and go home...
If you do the three mountains at MK and then are done...
etc.
World Showcase might not be for you.

World Showcase is an immersion into different cultures. For a brief time, you feel like you are in another country. You hear music from that country. You can see entertainment from that country. You hear people speaking the language from that country. There is food and drink to try from that country so the smells are from that country. There is merchandise to see from that country. The landscaping and architecture are from that country. And if you are fascinated and wish to learn more about that country, you can go see the attraction that country offers.

I remember my very first visit to Epcot in '84. I was not enamored by Future World and was about to abandon Epcot completely. However, I had yet to do World Showcase. However, I wasn't all that thrilled with the idea of WS since I really had no desire to travel outside the US. One trip around WS immediately changed my mind. Suddenly I was very desirous of traveling and seeing Europe. I just loved being immersed in all the cultures. And I especially loved the World Showcase Players.

World Showcase is now among my most favorite places in WDW. In fact, since it is my day off, I think I shall head over for some Food and Wine fest fun...and David Cassidy (baaa ba baa baaa ba baaa ba baaa baaa......I think I love you....)

mickster

I'm not real sure I'm entirely clear on which part of WDW you want to know about. Is it maybe...World Showcase perhaps? :ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

mickster

Best Pavilion (for theming): Mexico. I love how they have it so that you go inside the Mayan pyramid and then you're suddenly outside and it's nighttime. I don't know why, but that's one of those classic, and uniquely, Disney type things that I just love. It's the type of thing I don't really envision Disney doing anymore when they build something new, ...which is sad. This pavilion is just absolutely the best when it comes to setting a mood.

Best thing of all in World Showcase: American Adventure. It is not only very moving from a patriotic standpoint, but still an impressive show after all these years. Sadly, the theater is ginormous and there is always just a handful of people seeing the show anymore.

Best food: Surprisingly, my favorite thing to eat in World Showcase is the baklava just outside of the Morocco pavilion.

Best themed pavilion (from the outside): Germany. It looks just like a medieval German town (like Rothenburg).

I'm sure I'll think of more "bests". When I do, I'll post again. But whatever you do...don't miss World Showcase when you go again.

EPCOT.nut

You always pass up France!?!?!? Nooooooo, you can't do that :eek: It's got delicious desserts, a beautiful little courtyard with shops, and the movie, while I know some feel it's outdated, is sooooo incredibly beautiful! The music and the countryside and Mont St. Michel! Tell you what, you try France next time as though you've never been to Epcot before, and I'll try something I usually pass up that you like and then we'll compare notes afterward. Just tell me which other countries you like besides Norway, because I do that too :animwink:

DEAL! Terrible I have only visited France once as the entire country and that was when I was in high school. (Looong time ago!) :lol: I don't know why I pass it up. I just do! But I will visit in the next few weeks (hopefully this Sunday if I get my way) and I will check out France in its entirety.

You've probably done it all before but I like to chill out around the Koi in Japan and the gardens in front of and around the theatre in China. My parents were really into Chinese and asian culture and I've come away with an appreciation for those countries also.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom