What's next for Epcot 2024 and Beyond

James Alucobond

Based on the “Blue Sky” “Beyond Big Thunder” plans, and the fact that coco has been rumored for Mexico for years and nothing has happened, I’d assume that Coco will take shape in the MK in the next 3-5 years.
I still think it has a chance if the logistics eventually work out. They’ve demonstrated that they have no issue with the same IP popping up in multiple places, and a hypothetical alebrije-riding simulator wouldn’t really overlap in any way with a slow boat ride past some show scenes.

Phicinfan

Based on the “Blue Sky” “Beyond Big Thunder” plans, and the fact that coco has been rumored for Mexico for years and nothing has happened, I’d assume that Coco will take shape in the MK in the next 3-5 years.
I don't know that is a limiting factor, you have Frozen in DHS and Epcot, you have Moana in Epcot and potentially in AK.

I would love to see at least two more countries in WS, I doubt it will be Brazil, as I believe that ship has sailed.
I would love to see a ride, not just attraction, but a ride in the middle area of WS since we have Mexico and Norway on one side and France on the other.

I also would think once the center is completed, they will have to focus on fixing and bringing up to standards SSE and maybe Imagination.

MagicHappens1971

I don't know that is a limiting factor, you have Frozen in DHS and Epcot, you have Moana in Epcot and potentially in AK.

I would love to see at least two more countries in WS, I doubt it will be Brazil, as I believe that ship has sailed.
I would love to see a ride, not just attraction, but a ride in the middle area of WS since we have Mexico and Norway on one side and France on the other.

I also would think once the center is completed, they will have to focus on fixing and bringing up to standards SSE and maybe Imagination.
I don’t mean that it’s a limiting factor, just that especially in the present day cost-cutting we don’t want to spend money on the parks era, I don’t see why they would use the same IP in two new attractions.

I guess time will tell. I think they’d dust off the Poppins plans before doing anything else in the World Showcase, but that’s just my opinion.

Gran Fiesta

That said, time for Coco in the Mexico pavilion... and start adding new countries and experiences... Greece, Thailand, Korea, Colombia, Brazil...Australia...Lots of possibilities...and let's flesh out what has been built that has no real attraction. UK, Germany, Italy, Morocco, Japan, Canada...
I definitely get wanting to have Coco in the Mexico pavilion, however I am getting tired of Disney taking existing rides and reskinning them and using a lot of money to not increase capacity at all. I would rather them build a brand new ride in a different country than reskin one they already have. But I definitely get the appeal.

James Alucobond

I definitely get wanting to have Coco in the Mexico pavilion, however I am getting tired of Disney taking existing rides and reskinning them and using a lot of money to not increase capacity at all. I would rather them build a brand new ride in a different country than reskin one they already have. But I definitely get the appeal.
There are warranted and unwarranted reworks of existing spaces. At EPCOT, Imagination and Gran Fiesta probably top the refresh list since they’re both very tired and were never terribly impressive attractions in their current iterations even when new. That said, the park also desperately needs new capacity too.

Andrew25

I don't mind refreshes/rethemes if they increase capacity utilization.

Gran Fiesta Tour & Imagination are ghost towns half the day, so anything to improve their popularity, and reduce wait-times at other attractions, is a win in my book.

Same for the 360 theaters, but nobody here wants to have that discussion lol (mind you I love them, but there can't be more than 10% of the daily attendance at Epcot visiting them.

StantonZ

Pavilions only get added if there is a country (unlikely) or a rich conglomerate in that country (more likely) that is a fan of Disney and wants to bankroll a pavilion representing their country and think they can make a profit with restaurants, shops, and maybe a ride (paying Disney to build it) all with Disney's approval.
There is another (mutually benefitial) element to country sponsorship: staffing. Don't forget about all the "authentic" staff that is sourced from the various countries to staff the pavilions...and other places in WDW. We had a revelation about this recently when my wife noticed a French student working in AK (of all places). When questioned, the girl said she was given the option of working outside of EPCOT depending on the length of their stay/contract.

Bocabear

They'd almost certainly have to close a significant portion of the existing pavilion for Coco, a which would be a shame. There's nowhere near enough queue space as-is.
but they can add onto the Mexico pavilion...It's not like they could not figure a way to add queue space and a separate outdoor entrance to the attraction that then dumps you into the interior plaza at the end of the ride... The Mexico pavilion could really use a major refresh on the interior... and repurpose the Three Caballeros Animatronics on one t=of the building balconies on the interior plaza doing mini performances from time to time...

UNCgolf

but they can add onto the Mexico pavilion...It's not like they could not figure a way to add queue space and a separate outdoor entrance to the attraction that then dumps you into the interior plaza at the end of the ride... The Mexico pavilion could really use a major refresh on the interior... and repurpose the Three Caballeros Animatronics on one t=of the building balconies on the interior plaza doing mini performances from time to time...

Test Track goes behind the pavilion. There's still room back there to expand but I'm sure that would be a factor. They could eliminate the tequila stand and go between the Odyssey and the current pavilion for queue space, but they'd need to do some work to prevent any of the backstage views.

I'm sure there are options, but I struggle to see how they could do it easily without cutting into the current pavilion and possibly eliminating a couple of the shops.

I think Martin indicated at one point that the difficulties involved in creating a proper queue was the reason (or at least one of the reasons) they didn't go forward with a Coco overlay as part of the planned EPCOT overhaul.

Bocabear

When the park originally opened there were enormous crowds, and somehow the Mexico pavilion managed to deal with them... and as one of the few countries that had an actual ride (actually the only one) it was popular and busy... Now I know the queue is tiny, but the two shops against that wall could be used for queue space and out the temple gallery space and then out front... No it is not all Air conditioned... but other queues are not under air either... I just think if the wanted to... they could figure out a way to make it work...but they would have to want to.... and I don't think they really care anymore.

mightynine

To me, to do Coco right, would be to expand into this area here - but would it really give you anything?

1690818540962.png

Bocabear

If the ride flume were extended into a second building in that space it sure could, but there is a restaurant etc to contend with...If they stuck with the original footprint they could extend the queue into the two shops next to the old queue and even out the door and along the side of the building with an enclosed hallway of sorts....and start the queue out by the Margarita stand...maybe... without seeing the actual blueprints....
but if the argument is "don't refresh the attraction because we are afraid people will like it and there will be crowds..." is an even bigger problem... The problem is they need more actual rides to take the focus off the few that they have... Coco could help manage the crowds at Rat and Frozen...though it is not a new attraction...it could be a much better attraction....

UNCgolf

When the park originally opened there were enormous crowds, and somehow the Mexico pavilion managed to deal with them... and as one of the few countries that had an actual ride (actually the only one) it was popular and busy... Now I know the queue is tiny, but the two shops against that wall could be used for queue space and out the temple gallery space and then out front... No it is not all Air conditioned... but other queues are not under air either... I just think if the wanted to... they could figure out a way to make it work...but they would have to want to.... and I don't think they really care anymore.

That's exactly my point -- they'd have to cut into the existing pavilion to turn it into queue space. I personally would rather it remain as-is with the current ride than mess up the Mexico pavilion, which is fantastic. It's certainly not worth doing to turn it into another Norway where it's mostly an IP pavilion (even if Coco is obviously a better fit than Frozen).

Bocabear

I don't know that is would have to ruin the pavilion... Does anyone have a blueprint?
When Disneyland opened Rocket Rods, they were very clever with finding space for the queue...through two different attraction buildings, then down into an underground area and then up the steps into the old Star Jets tower... If they could creatively cut through all of that space, I am sure someone could figure out how to make a queue fit in that space without ruining the entire pavilion....

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't know that is would have to ruin the pavilion... Does anyone have a blueprint?
When Disneyland opened Rocket Rods, they were very clever with finding space for the queue...through two different attraction buildings, then down into an underground area and then up the steps into the old Star Jets tower... If they could creatively cut through all of that space, I am sure someone could figure out how to make a queue fit in that space without ruining the entire pavilion....
Mexico large.jpg

aladdin2007

To me, to do Coco right, would be to expand into this area here - but would it really give you anything?

View attachment 734442
Along that side of Mexico between it and the Norway extension is a service road (and emergency access) that can not be blocked, plus you have the restaurant services on that side of the building. Just like the access road between Norway and China that can never be blocked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom