What's going to happen with Annual Passes?

DoleWhipDrea

Disneyland's AP program became too dominant and the crowding became too much to handle. It didn't start out that way - the APs actually helped keep the DLR going when a lot of regular guests stopped coming for a while. But around the 50th it picked up more steam, and once the monthly payment planned rolled out, the program expanded exponentially. They had to do something to get it to be more manageable. Disney is looking towards the future and is still hoping to make the DLR similar to WDW in that it would be a multi-day experience with guests staying on property and spending more there. It's why they want to get some sort of expansion going. But the city of Anaheim has to be willing to play ball, and that's an uphill battle.

WDW just doesn't have the same amount of locals that decide that they'll just "pop in" to visit the parks for dinner and a few rides. The issues and demands are different...the APs keep a reliable stream of money coming through during off-season or challenging periods. They will absolutely raise prices on the APs regularly and will change benefits here and there, but DLR by sheer demographics, numbers and space needs a different system from WDW.

The attempt to homogenize both DLR and WDW was always a foolhardy idea, but that's what happens when you have some pencil pushers sitting in an office and never having worked in any of the parks a day in their life.

Kingoglow

Then consider me a fool.

Disney World doesn't have the "too many passholders" problem. Just look at how the two products were priced pre-pandemic for proof. Why would WDW APs include more parks but be less expensive for locals than Disneyland passes if Disney was concerned about WDW having too many passholders?

I'm sure the price of WDW APs will go up, but they're not trying to thin the AP herd like Disneyland.

The price of WDW's AP is the biggest issue. I don't think Disney sees Florida AP as a good deal (for Disney) anymore. At less than $900 a year, it allows vloggers to get into the parks, let's say 4/7 days a week, making their actual ticket price under $5.00 a visit (annualized). They pay Disney $5.00, to profit off of the parks.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
The price of WDW's AP is the biggest issue. I don't think Disney sees Florida AP as a good deal (for Disney) anymore. At less than $900 a year, it allows vloggers to get into the parks, let's say 4/7 days a week, making their actual ticket price under $5.00 a visit (annualized). They pay Disney $5.00, to profit off of the parks.
Disney considers a lot of the vloggers to be a source of revenue for them. That’s why they give them press passes and invite many of them to media events. The thinking is the vloggers (who for the record I largely dislike) provide them with lots and lots of free advertising.

dmw

In the Parks
No
Disney should require a (paid) media pass for Vloggers, separate from APs. And restrict media passes from FastPast (or its replacement) - make them wait in long lines. Plus, Disney should put Vloggers on their own ride vehicles, where appropriate. It is SOOOOO distracting to be sitting in a boat (ie Na'vi River) having someone narrate the ride - especially when they turn the light on their phones!

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here is the new Disneyland AP program -

Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 4.01.42 PM.png

DCBaker

Premium Member
Disney World APs coming back before the 50th!

"And for those wondering about Walt Disney World Annual Passes, new pass sales will become available in time for the start of the 50th anniversary celebration! Walt Disney World Resort will be sharing additional information and details later this month, so be sure to stay tuned to DisneyWorld.com and the Disney Parks Blog."

disneygeek90

Assuming the cost for parking is around $25 ($13 at half price), the 50% option would take about 35 visits to make the top tier worth it. Of course, that's also not including the other discounts.

disneygeek90

"And for those wondering about Walt Disney World Annual Passes, new pass sales will become available in time for the start of the 50th anniversary celebration! Walt Disney World Resort will be sharing additional information and details later this month, so be sure to stay tuned to DisneyWorld.com and the Disney Parks Blog."
I guess that's my cue to renew before they announce anything else, I expire in September 😅

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
$1400, with a payment plan and free parking. Do they really think the core DL AP park goers will bite on the lesser offerings in Disney’s folly of “reducing AP crowds”? The top pass pays for itself in roughly 11-12 visits over a year.

FantasiaMickey2000

I wonder if it will be the same as it used to or like the Disneyland system.

In the Parks
Yes
$1400, with a payment plan and free parking. Do they really think the core DL AP park goers will bite on the lesser offerings in Disney’s folly of “reducing AP crowds”? The top pass pays for itself in roughly 11-12 visits over a year.
Reservations are baked into this one from the word go, though, so Disney has actually officially solved its AP crowding problem forever. If too many APs are showing up, just ratchet the reservation supply down. If "legacy passholders" are mad that they paid $1400 to be told they can't go unless they fight for an open slot three weeks out, well, they knew that was what they were paying $1400 for.

EDIT: To provide an illustrative example, let's pretend for a moment that the ideal operational load (which is NOT the maximum capacity, just the point at which every additional head starts degrading service below an acceptible minimum) of DL is 25K. So Disney, vastly preferring resort guests or single-day ticket purchasers, sets the reservation count for magic keys at 15K, then subtracts the number of ticketed guests - pretend for a moment that August 20th already has 15K reservations between sold day tickets and booked resort guests. The system goes live and it looks like, whoops, Magic Key availability for the 20th is already gone! So even though you paid $1400 for the ability to reserve August 20th or any other day, you're staying home, because you only paid for the chance to book a slot not the guarantee that one is there when you want it. If you really insist on being there August 20th, you're welcome to pay the single day rate up to Disney's actual capacity limits - and of course, if you're flying in from out of town, Disney will happily sell you that ticket, and you can feel better about crowd projections knowing that even if 100K magic keys are out there in the world, no more than 15K of them (and depending on other attendance bucket fills, potentially as few as 0 of them) will be packing the park.

Last edited:

fgmnt

I honestly was expecting a much more complex system.

Knowing absolutely nothing about what they will actually do, it would not surprise me to see a concurrent reservation limit come into play for the local pass at WDW.

The biggest question likely intentionally unanswered, is how the reservation system will actually shake out behind the scenes, and whether or not top keys get a subset of the reservation block that lower keys don't have access to. If I was a southern California resident, I don't know if I'd pick the top key without getting some stronger guarantee of dates I wanted.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Reservations are baked into this one from the word go, though, so Disney has actually officially solved its AP crowding problem forever. If too many APs are showing up, just ratchet the reservation supply down. If "legacy passholders" are mad that they paid $1400 to be told they can't go unless they fight for an open slot three weeks out, well, they knew that was what they were paying $1400 for.

EDIT: To provide an illustrative example, let's pretend for a moment that the ideal operational load (which is NOT the maximum capacity, just the point at which every additional head starts degrading service below an acceptible minimum) of DL is 25K. So Disney, vastly preferring resort guests or single-day ticket purchasers, sets the reservation count for magic keys at 15K, then subtracts the number of ticketed guests - pretend for a moment that August 20th already has 15K reservations between sold day tickets and booked resort guests. The system goes live and it looks like, whoops, Magic Key availability for the 20th is already gone! So even though you paid $1400 for the ability to reserve August 20th or any other day, you're staying home, because you only paid for the chance to book a slot not the guarantee that one is there when you want it. If you really insist on being there August 20th, you're welcome to pay the single day rate up to Disney's actual capacity limits - and of course, if you're flying in from out of town, Disney will happily sell you that ticket, and you can feel better about crowd projections knowing that even if 100K magic keys are out there in the world, no more than 15K of them (and depending on other attendance bucket fills, potentially as few as 0 of them) will be packing the park.
Excellent point. I’m sure TDA thinks they can limit the number of AP guests on any given day and have little blowback. Grab your popcorn. 😁🍿

AEfx

It definitely looks better on paper than people were expecting - but it's all based on the big unknown - how readily available these reservations are going to be, and how far out you are going to have to book them.

It definitely could have been worse, so much worse...but we won't know how good it actually is until people start seeing what they make for availability.

dav23

This is very similar to the old annual pass program minus the reservations and price hike. Kind of why I think everyone losing their minds about what the new Fastpass program at WDW might look like should chill out a bit.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is very similar to the old annual pass program minus the reservations and price hike. Kind of why I think everyone losing their minds about what the new Fastpass program at WDW might look like should chill out a bit.
That’s a completely different thing.

the Paris fastpass prices rolled out today are not good.

it could be half empty/half full…

they’re content to let you in as before…but will screw you on fastpass capitalizing on their own lack of capacity…

stranger than fiction…and almost likely

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom