What's going to happen with Annual Passes?

hopemax

Reading these threads, I end up feeling like we're in a bizarro world where the Summer of 2019 @ Disneyland, when the only APs in play were the top tier passes, and every day was handwringing about the lack of crowds and was TDA upset or not... didn't happen.

I don't think Disney has a problem with the expensive AP passes. The Summer of 2019 is evidence that even Disneyland can support a passholder program without overrunning everything. They have made multiple attempts at decreasing the overall volume of APs by targeting the lower level passes. Price increases, removing parking, that Flex pass (we should have seen the reservation system coming) thingy they debuted in 2019. So IMO, whatever they do will be primarily targeted at this group. And even then, I don't think Disney cares that you *buy* these passes but... They do have a problem with too many passholders showing up for grand openings, major anniversaries for attractions, first days of seasonal events, etc. Or just in general at DL. The reservation system, now gives them a way to avoid that. Especially with a limit of how many people can have at once. I feel like the more radical options people are predicting won't come to pass, and in the end it will be mostly the same (except the price) but now with reservations! Or more like Shanghai or that Flex Pass, but applying to more passholders than originally envisioned.

$$$$$ Tier - You pay a ton (and it will be a ton), you get stuff. No blockout dates, no reservations. (same as Platinum before, except the price!)

$$$$ Tier - You pay a lot, but we're still worried about y'all showing up all at the same time. No blockout dates but reservations required for select days (grand openings, peak weekends, holidays). Introduced at a price similar to what Platinum was before, but now you might have to plan, but many people will say, "I love planning!/I didn't want to go those days anyway" so it will be accepted as if it's no change

$$$ (Resident Pass/DVC) - Blockout dates (peak season), reservations required for many days. Similar to the DL Deluxe/ WDW Gold, but reservations to prevent non-peak weekends, special events, the last days before blockouts start, from getting too slammed.

$$ Tier (Resident Pass) - You pay less, you can come, but not too often, and only on the days we really want you too. Many blockout dates, and reservations always required.

$ Tier (Resident Pass) - The Epcot After 4 pass survives

Staying on-property can buy you access to the resort bucket for reservation availability, and up the limit you can hold at one time.

Oddysey

Florida Resident AP holder from 2004 to 2020. Our family is spontaneous and if the current park reservation system remains post Covid, we will in all likelihood never hold an AP again. Spoiled by years of being able to just pop into any park at any time, and anything less than the experience of spontaneous freedom is not a value trade off we are willing to make. Especially with never ending price increases. I am really hoping that the park reservation system ends, but I have serious doubts.

Last edited:

Dad 2 M & M

Florida Resident AP holder from 2004 to 2020. Our family is spontaneous and if the current park reservation system remains post Covid, we will in all likelihood never hold an AP again. Spoiled by years of being able to just pop into any park at any time, and anything less than the experience of spontaneous freedom is not a value trade off we are willing to make. Especially with never ending price increases. I am really hoping that the park reservation system ends, but I have serious doubts.

Park reservation system may not end, but once the Parks are at full capacity you shouldn't have a problem even being spontaneous......

Oddysey

Park reservation system may not end, but once the Parks are at full capacity you shouldn't have a problem even being spontaneous......

I appreciate your optimism and hope your insistence that spontaneity will return is correct. I truly mean that. However, in my view the words reservation and spontaneity seem diametrically opposed to each other. I have never had to reserve anything in which I could choose to do spontaneously and with little to no planning. Again, I sincerely hope you are correct. I would gladly go back to paying premium prices if I have the freedom to choose where and when I want to be at a specific location on a whim.

Dad 2 M & M

I appreciate your optimism and hope your insistence that spontaneity will return is correct. I truly mean that. However, in my view the words reservation and spontaneity seem diametrically opposed to each other. I have never had to reserve anything in which I could choose to do spontaneously and with little to no planning. Again, I sincerely hope you are correct. I would gladly go back to paying premium prices if I have the freedom to choose where and when I want to be at a specific location on a whim.
Think of how many times the Parks EVER reached capacity

Oddysey

True. Typically only during times my Gold pass was blacked out. However, what concerns me is that reservations will be allotted using tiered systems and/or allocate capacities to only certain parks at certain times in an attempt to maximize profits at the expense of consumer freedom and experience. Also, there is the potential of unused reservations unnecessarily clogging the reservation queue. Specifically on weekends.

If reaching capacity is a rare problem exclusive to specific holiday periods, then there should be no reason for the reservation system to exists at all.

Last edited:

Dad 2 M & M

True. Typically only during times my Gold pass was blacked out. However, what concerns me is that reservations will be allotted using tiered systems and/or allocate capacities to only certain parks at certain times in an attempt to maximize profits at the expense of the consumer freedom and experience. Also, there is the potential of unused reservations unnecessarily clogging the reservation queue. Specifically on weekends.

If reaching capacity is a rare problem exclusive to specific holiday periods, then there should be no reason for the reservation system to exists at all.
ROTR will keep the system in place for Studios......and the system as a whole is so valuable to TDO

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For all intents and purposes...never.

people always talked about “packed parks”...they’re rarely that close.

a phased closing for a few hours in a park or two maybe 3 days a year?

disney world has plenty of room...and BS aside they want you there. They just want to tell you it’s worth more/an unending amount. But they don’t ultimately control that...we do

Jrb1979

True. Typically only during times my Gold pass was blacked out. However, what concerns me is that reservations will be allotted using tiered systems and/or allocate capacities to only certain parks at certain times in an attempt to maximize profits at the expense of consumer freedom and experience. Also, there is the potential of unused reservations unnecessarily clogging the reservation queue. Specifically on weekends.

You would think that. I see them using the reservation system to control how much AP holders can access the parks.

TrainsOfDisney

They’re using the reservation system to manage staffing, among other things. Pretty sure it’s here to stay in DL and WDW.
Yes. And I also think it’s a way to push guests to the other parks and spread out the crowds. “Oh Magic Kingdom is full that day, we will have to go to Animal Kingdom instead”

If they can run all 4 parks “at capacity” and staff all 4 parks to run as efficiently as possible it’s got to be a huge win for them.

*at capacity meaning whatever Disney wants the capacity to be, not the actual physical limit.

jt04

Yes. And I also think it’s a way to push guests to the other parks and spread out the crowds. “Oh Magic Kingdom is full that day, we will have to go to Animal Kingdom instead”

If they can run all 4 parks “at capacity” and staff all 4 parks to run as efficiently as possible it’s got to be a huge win for them.

*at capacity meaning whatever Disney wants the capacity to be, not the actual physical limit.

Exactly. It is all about maximizing efficiency by controlling overhead and maximizing per guest spending. Phased closures will no longer be a thing. IMO.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Exactly. It is all about maximizing efficiency by controlling overhead and maximizing per guest spending. Phased closures will no longer be a thing. IMO.
Well there’s no doubt it’s about labor allocation...they’ve talked about that long before any digitizing...before fastpass...before online...before rfid...

the likelihood is this: people will fall in line with the park reservations. Very few “day ofs” exist and they’ll adjust too.

and if it’s the super local crowd that wants to pop in on 30 minutes notice...spend more, frankly and they’ll adjust a little to you. $300 and up per day guest expenditures. That’s the important number. That and market share in town. They care for little else.

you can’t “live on vacation”. It was great while it lasted...but unless you get a pro-Florida/anti-stock/pro-labor ceo installed...not exactly likely...that’s the way the tides are moving.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They need to be careful how they change things here or we could see a big influx of dvc resale on the market
As in they can’t treat Disney world like Disneyland?

I agree...but slappy ham hands doesn’t appear to be all that bright.

i wonder if there would be a DVC today if they had to start from scratch? They no longer run it like the main goal it was designed for...

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
As in they can’t treat Disney world like Disneyland?

I agree...but slappy ham hands doesn’t appear to be all that bright.

i wonder if there would be a DVC today if they had to start from scratch? They no longer run it like the main goal it was designed for...
Dvc I think is a constant cash cow for Disney and pretty much guarantees a certain level of guests on property spending money year-round. If they screw up annual passes though, that could create some interesting response as many dvc members take advantage of the Gold AP pass discount today

Dad 2 M & M

Wait until the APP has a Park Capacity feature (think Wait Times). While I don't it will be numeric, it will be coded in some fashion.

Imagine the "pushing" they could create?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom