What's Exactly Wrong in Fantasmic!?

Marc Gil

Original Poster
Yeah I've been wondering. Sorry if this is already a thread. I've seen fellow posters all over WDWMagic saying that a lot of the effects in the DHS version of the show aren't working. I haven't been since 2000.

Marco226

Well, I just got back from a week vacation from WDW, and I think Fantasmic actually got a little refurb done. The show is practically the same, but I saw the show three times last week and was able to point out the things that people usually complain about that have been fixed/changed.

First of all, the mangled, torn-up tree curtains draped on the back of the mountain set have been replaced with new all-black curtains. Also, the rocks look as though they have been repainted.

Jafar's snake head now has fully functioning eyeballs that don't randomly turn off. The fire on the canoes that come out for the Pocahontas scene were mostly working. There was one flame that never seemed to work, but they were all working for the last show that we watched. Also, the green lightning effects on Maleficent's dragon wings seem to be working a lot better. They were working every time we saw the show.

There has also been an increase in the speed of the boats that the princesses come out on. Before, one of the boats would always crash into the railings as they passed one another. Now, it seems like whoever is driving the boats have learned to increase their speeds. My friend that I was with, who used to own a boat, says that it is actually easier to handle boats at faster speeds. All three times, none of the boats crashed into anything.

And lastly, a few characters were switched out during the steamboat finale. The ones I noticed the most were Tiana, who is now in front with Belle, and Mulan, who took Meg's spot on the side of the boat. I'm sure there are others, but I always freak out when I see Mulan, and I forget to take pictures of the other characters. lol...

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
Well, I just got back from a week vacation from WDW, and I think Fantasmic actually got a little refurb done. The show is practically the same, but I saw the show three times last week and was able to point out the things that people usually complain about that have been fixed/changed.

First of all, the mangled, torn-up tree curtains draped on the back of the mountain set have been replaced with new all-black curtains. Also, the rocks look as though they have been repainted.

Jafar's snake head now has fully functioning eyeballs that don't randomly turn off. The fire on the canoes that come out for the Pocahontas scene were mostly working. There was one flame that never seemed to work, but they were all working for the last show that we watched. Also, the green lightning effects on Maleficent's dragon wings seem to be working a lot better. They were working every time we saw the show.

There has also been an increase in the speed of the boats that the princesses come out on. Before, one of the boats would always crash into the railings as they passed one another. Now, it seems like whoever is driving the boats have learned to increase their speeds. My friend that I was with, who used to own a boat, says that it is actually easier to handle boats at faster speeds. All three times, none of the boats crashed into anything.

And lastly, a few characters were switched out during the steamboat finale. The ones I noticed the most were Tiana, who is now in front with Belle, and Mulan, who took Meg's spot on the side of the boat. I'm sure there are others, but I always freak out when I see Mulan, and I forget to take pictures of the other characters. lol...

I'm really excited to hear all of this, because Fantasmic is one of my favorite things about WDW and the timing of the princess boats, Jafar's eye, and the fire on the canoes were super glitchy the past three or four times I saw the show. Happy to hear it's all fixed. Hopefully it'll stay that way in time for my next trip. :)

Tip Top Club

Genie has replaced the Chimney Sweeps on the boat as well.

Honestly to me, all that's wrong with our Fantasmic is the Dragon. Perhaps update the sound System and projectors a bit, maybe even update the animation to include cameos from newer characters like Tiana, and we're good for now.

StarWarsGirl

I saw the DL version last week. Though there are obvious advantages to having an amphitheater, the DL version looked brighter and newer even though technically it's older. Boats were better lit up, water effects were clearer, just a lot that was fixed. I'll see how the WDW version looks when I go in a few weeks.

Mad Stitch

This
LA-Disney_Fantasmic_dragon.jpg

VS.

7025165177_dbfaeca6c7_z.jpg

Need I say more?

I really just don't understand the hate for fantasmic... I honestly had not seen the show for 10 years and had mostly forgot what it was until I went again this year. I was blown away by how good it was. I thought it was a fantasmic show (see what I did there). I've now gone twice in the past few months, and all the effects were working. Its a great show.

asianway

To me, the biggest problem with Fant! is the obnoxious duo that does the preshow before the first show of every night. That and the Radio Disney decimations that are the preshow for the second show of every night.
Pick your poison.
If its good enough for the first show, it should also be done for the second. Not just because you need to get the equity their union mandated hours. God almighty

The Tuna

I have no idea why I dislike this show so much. Night time at WDW is my favorite time, but my wife and I went to watch it once and were unimpressed, which we both found weird. I heard nothing but good things about it before I went so was pumped. But wouldn't go back again.

disneyfan1995

My main problem with it is the dragon. They learned at DL how to properly handle the new dragon, so I don't see it being an issue to put it in at WDW. Unless money is a factor, which it probably is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom