What's deflated your WDW enthusiasm the most: Pandemic or Genie+

What has deflated your WDW enthusiasm the most?

• The pandemic

• Genie+

Results are only viewable after voting.

Patcheslee

With the cost of flights from the U.K., very few people would consider coming for just a week. The destination for many is Florida, not just WDW.

And the cost of a 14 day ticket is better value per day than a 7 day ticket; in fact often we can get 14 days for the price of 7 days. But that’s obviously without G+ added.

@graham, it seems they are extending the validity of the 7 day ticket to the full 14 days again. So if you’re staying offsite and will be doing other stuff too, you might be able to get the 7 day ticket and spread your visits out.
We're not UK but even in the US it's financial cheaper to spend 10 days because of flight prices for us. That keeps us from flying on the weekends either way when prices tend to be at least $100/person higher.

Chip Chipperson

So that is the real question, am I alone when I look at ROTR or Runaway Railway and see boring rides not worth my time? Slinky Dog Dash is a terrible rollercoaster, how do you build a coaster in 2018 worse than Thunder Mountain built in 1980? Slinky dog dash is the equavlient to a Six Flags coaster and even by those standards it's terrible. Too many people let their love for Disney blind them to the how bad a lot of these rides are, and the time and money they are paying to ride them. We aren't just riding rollercoasters, I still like Star Tours more than ROTR or Smugglers run. I love Toy Story Mania. There is clearly been a departure of quality and lots of people just want to ignore it.

I really enjoy both Slinky and MMRR. They're fun rides. To me, Slinky fits because of the idea that a kid built it. Plus, it's a smooth ride, which is more than can be said about some other coasters (I'm looking at you, Space Mountain). Slinky is the exception to the rule of Disney not building exposed track roller coasters and it works because of the land's theme. Now if they start building coasters like that all over the place and just say, "Oh yeah, there's a thematic reason for this one, and this one, and this one," then it would be a problem. I don't anticipate that, though. Even with the exposed track, it's still better than a Six Flags ride. Six Flags just sticks a sign at the front of the ride telling you what character the ride is for and then paints the track to match. Slinky at least has theming throughout the ride.

I haven't had a chance to ride ROTR yet, so I can't comment on it other than to say it looks like a fun ride, too.

I didn't enjoy Smuggler's Run very much, though. Maybe it's fun for the pilots, but being in the last row pushing buttons instead of enjoying the ride was a real downgrade from Star Tours for me. The queue was the best part of the ride in my opinion. I'm glad I had a chance to ride it and know what it is, but I had higher hopes for a ride whose premise is that you're flying in the Millennium Falcon. The theming of the ride and the queue are great, but the execution of the ride itself is a miss. I can't call it lazy because they clearly put some effort into trying to make it different from Star Tours and the Falcon itself is definitely the highlight of the land when walking around, but it just feels like a letdown of a ride when Star Tours already exists.

Jrb1979

I really enjoy both Slinky and MMRR. They're fun rides. To me, Slinky fits because of the idea that a kid built it. Plus, it's a smooth ride, which is more than can be said about some other coasters (I'm looking at you, Space Mountain). Slinky is the exception to the rule of Disney not building exposed track roller coasters and it works because of the land's theme. Now if they start building coasters like that all over the place and just say, "Oh yeah, there's a thematic reason for this one, and this one, and this one," then it would be a problem. I don't anticipate that, though. Even with the exposed track, it's still better than a Six Flags ride. Six Flags just sticks a sign at the front of the ride telling you what character the ride is for and then paints the track to match. Slinky at least has theming throughout the ride.
Coasters are too hard to theme unless you put in side a building. Even then most times they aren't thrilling. IMO coasters are about air time and G forces.

J_Carioca

The pandemic didn't kill my enthusiasm for Disney at all. We returned from an amazing Disney trip a week before the lockdown began in 2020 and I was high on pixie dust and couldn't wait to go back. Since then, however, a series of announcements has been made that have all but killed my interest in going. The cancellation of Magic Express, the announcement about redoing Splash Mountain (aka the very best ride they have); no more evening EMH, park reservations, and now the travesty that is Genie. I don't mind some changes, but I do mind being treated like an idiot with a credit card. It's like being in an abusive relationship where you keep forgiving egregious behaviour because you remember the good times and really want things to work, even though they've made it clear they're taking advantage of you.

Oddysey

I posted this in another thread about a week ago. The "gate" or general admissions for the first week of the 50th was down over 30 percent from projected. I was told major damage control was being done and the next day about 20 things were announced to be returning. They are very aware people are not happy with what is being offered.

On that note I was a passholder for 17 years and chose not to renew because for me personally the overall cost exceeds the value of today’s product.

That said, I was a little surprised to see a survey sent to me by Disney that revolved around why I choose not to renew and if I planned on ever coming back. It was a very long survey that in short revolved mostly around questions pertaining to the palatability of the reservation system, and concerns that park overcrowding may be an issue. They did not ask any questions pertaining to Genie+, but left ample room for comments on why I would choose not to return.

In summary I cited the reservation system, Genie +, and cost increases while reducing offerings or up charging for offerings that were once included with admission as the primary reasons I will not return.

Last edited:

OG Runner

It's definitely the pandemic- specifically ride delays. The last time we went was 2018, about 1 week before toy story land reopened. We have all of Hollywood Studios' new things to look forward to, but I cannot believe Tron or Guardians will not be open- GOTG was under construction the last time we went and TRON had been announced- looks like we'll miss them again like we did Slinky and Saucers

The good thing though is if you don't go every week, you will have something new to see and go on. Remember Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railroad also.

OG Runner

With the cost of flights from the U.K., very few people would consider coming for just a week. The destination for many is Florida, not just WDW.

And the cost of a 14 day ticket is better value per day than a 7 day ticket; in fact often we can get 14 days for the price of 7 days. But that’s obviously without G+ added.

@graham, it seems they are extending the validity of the 7 day ticket to the full 14 days again. So if you’re staying offsite and will be doing other stuff too, you might be able to get the 7 day ticket and spread your visits out.

I appreciate your situation, but would recommend 9 days a WDW and 5 days at Universal. 14 days at WDW sounds pretty good, and that could be 3 days at each park, but that is a bit much.

nickys

Premium Member
I appreciate your situation, but would recommend 9 days a WDW and 5 days at Universal. 14 days at WDW sounds pretty good, and that could be 3 days at each park, but that is a bit much.
I’m puzzled what you have inferred here. U.K. tickets are for 7 or 14 days. I don’t think I commented on how many days I would visit WDW.

For what it’s worth, we’re really not interested in Universal, save WWOHP plus a handful of other rides (ET, Men in Black). Over 14 days, we might do 2 days at Kennedy, a day at Legoland, maybe SeaWorld or Universal. Possibly a day out and about, shopping. We could even go further afield and head down to the Keys or the Everglades or across to the west coast. But when we get back from a day elsewhere we often hop into MK or Epcot, sometimes the other parks because we’re staying onsite.

It’s useful having the full 14 days to be able to do that.

What I was suggesting to @graham was that if he only wanted to do WDW for 7 days he could get the 7 day ticket because it will now be valid over the 2 weeks and they could spread their days out a bit.

hsisthebest

The good thing though is if you don't go every week, you will have something new to see and go on. Remember Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railroad also.
Sry, I forgot to mention we are planning for summer 2022 so that's a 4 year gap since our last trip. I looks like we will miss at least 1 if not both of the newest headliner attractions at WDW, meanwhile I couldn't name all of the additions to look forward to at Uni.

Hawkeye_2018

We were planning on a trip to either DL or WDW this Summer but now probably not. We love Marvel, but I've been very underwhelmed with the Avengers Campus from what I've seen online. The costs and time commitments to planning a Disney trip start to wear thin when you have done it several times already. I have no idea when we will go back.

Cmdr_Crimson

What's deflated my enthusiasm??
both-the-road-to-el-dorado.gif

After my trip in 2020 I was just there at the start of the closures taking a two week trip to Orlando doing WDW with Uni with a Sea World Busch Gardens chaser and It was one better trips I had taken. So, I was thinking of doing another similar trip the following year..But, when it all turned to major butt-hurt and such, it just got me exhausted...So I'm taking a breather from the Disney side of Florida and eventually looking at doing Universal and Sea world instead as somehow they seem to be doing things better than Disney at the moment charging for everything...Let's hope they don't start charging for the air we breathe..
tumblr_p0i9dbMrer1wzypxlo1_500.gifv

Last edited:

wendysue

On that note I was a passholder for 17 years and chose not to renew because for me personally the overall cost exceeds the value of today’s product.

That said, I was a little surprised to see a survey sent to me by Disney that revolved around why I choose not to renew and if I planned on ever coming back. It was a very long survey that in short revolved mostly around questions pertaining to the palatability of the reservation system, and concerns that park overcrowding may be an issue. They did not ask any questions pertaining to Genie+, but left ample room for comments on why I would choose not to return.

In summary I cited the reservation system, Genie +, and cost increases while reducing offerings or up charging for offerings that were once included with admission as the primary reasons I will not return.
Well, since we will not be renewing also, I hope I get a survey as we have the same issues.

Christina M

the pandemic situation is more annoying than anything else. just got back from WDW in OCT. fully vaccinated w/booster. no worries about the covid, even if I wasn't vaccinated. but forcing mask wearing indoors is pointless. waiting to get into park, and rope drop, hundreds in a closed in crowd, no masks on most. no worries. but go indoors and mask up, why? Disney protecting their liability? how can you even prove you caught there or anywhere? the park reservations, I get why, but it is annoying to have to preplan everything, including dining if you choose to in parks. we are DVC and AP and the costs alone for those are high. but then add the inflated costs for food, drink, clothing is crazy. not to mention the scaled down things, such as street musicians, actors in HS, shows (lion king), characters, character d dining. the pandemic kept the rides being furbished on the back burner, too many construction barriers.

OG Runner

the pandemic situation is more annoying than anything else. just got back from WDW in OCT. fully vaccinated w/booster. no worries about the covid, even if I wasn't vaccinated. but forcing mask wearing indoors is pointless. waiting to get into park, and rope drop, hundreds in a closed in crowd, no masks on most. no worries. but go indoors and mask up, why? Disney protecting their liability? how can you even prove you caught there or anywhere? the park reservations, I get why, but it is annoying to have to preplan everything, including dining if you choose to in parks. we are DVC and AP and the costs alone for those are high. but then add the inflated costs for food, drink, clothing is crazy. not to mention the scaled down things, such as street musicians, actors in HS, shows (lion king), characters, character d dining. the pandemic kept the rides being furbished on the back burner, too many construction barriers.

Disney needs to do what Disney needs to do. I have been a Commercial Insurance Account Executive for over 30 years.
If a claim is made it needs to be defended which will result in court costs. Even if they are not found to be responsible it
does cost to defend the claim. The masks give them a first line of defense in such cases. The other increased costs seem
to be everywhere and I can definitely relate, even outside of vacation resort.

OG Runner

They spend a lot of money on those surveys. They absolutely use them to inform business decisions.

Sometimes, if you are lucky, you can even get selected as part of a focus group.
My family was part of a group in Epcot. It took about an hour, (no it wasn't a time share),
we just discussed different offerings in the parks and things we would be interested in
them offering.

GimpYancIent

Sometimes, if you are lucky, you can even get selected as part of a focus group.
My family was part of a group in Epcot. It took about an hour, (no it wasn't a time share),
we just discussed different offerings in the parks and things we would be interested in
them offering.
Interesting! Sooo tell us, did Disney management implement any of your group's recommendations?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom