What's deflated your WDW enthusiasm the most: Pandemic or Genie+

What has deflated your WDW enthusiasm the most?

• The pandemic

• Genie+

Results are only viewable after voting.

Snake

Honestly it all amazes me. On the surface it appears that Disney has done a lot to deflate people's enthusiasm for the Parks and Resorts.
Why is it then that both the Parks & Resorts are doing so well? Both the Parks and Resorts are filling up and crowded. Despite the cries
of nickel & diming and money grabbing, it appears an awful lot of people are still going to what they consider an enjoyable vacation. Go figure.
We did not go to WDW this year, we bought season passes to the local Six Flags. We might go back next year, but honestly I don't see much reason. The new rides again look very under whelming at WDW, but the new Universal Raptor coaster has me excited, so maybe in a couple years we might try to go back for Universal. Or maybe just wait for the Epic Universe opening. The last decent ride WDW added was Avatar, every ride after that has not been very good. Nickel and dimming are one thing, but when your new rides are so bad Six Flag rides beat them its only a matter of time before attendance drops for good. We used to hit WDW every year, but only go to Universal every 2-4 years as well, that looks like it will flip now.

Last edited:

OG Runner

We did not go to WDW this year, we bought season passes to the local Six Flags. We might go back next year, but honestly I don't see much reason. The new rides again look very under whelming at WDW, but the new Universal Raptor coaster has me excited, so maybe in a couple years we might try to go back for Universal. Or maybe just wait for the Epic Universe opening. The last decent ride WDW added was Avatar, every ride after that has not been very good. Nickel and dimming are one thing, but when your new rides are so bad Six Flag rides beat them its only a matter of time before attendance drops for good. We used to hit WDW every year, but only go to Universal every 2-4 years as well, that looks like it will flip now.

So in point of fact you enjoy outdoor roller coasters and a lot of them. That can be the only explanation as to why you have a seasons pass at Six Flags and are downplaying both Disney & Universal. I am sorry, but I have been to three different Six Flags and none of them come close to the experience you get at Disney or Universal.

OG Runner

So, it's been this way for over 3.5 years. People make it sound like this just happened in 2021.

This is true, but considering no one was pretty much allow to vacation at WDW for a year,
and it was one of the more glaring changes it still feels fresh and is usually included in these
discussions. I really appreciated not having to pay for parking at the resorts. We rarely used
our cars on property and it to have an extra charge just thrown it, that had not been made for
the first 46.5 years of the resorts existence was noticeable.

Jrb1979

So in point of fact you enjoy outdoor roller coasters and a lot of them. That can be the only explanation as to why you have a seasons pass at Six Flags and are downplaying both Disney & Universal. I am sorry, but I have been to three different Six Flags and none of them come close to the experience you get at Disney or Universal.
Since you brought it up and I have noticed it a lot here, I have wondered why high thrills don't do much for most of you. I like Disney and Universal and they do very well when it comes to theming. I wish they pushed more towards thrills with theming. Velocicoaster is a great mix.

Diamond Dot

I've noticed a large dip in overall excitement about the parks lately. But is it due to the impact of the pandemic, or the new addition of pay to ride Genie+ ? Or a bit of both? Or something else? Or are you as enthusiastic as ever?
People just going to produce content for their social media is deflating. I feel they are not going to Disney for the right reason and it can lead to selfish, entitled bad behaviour from them. Why go somewhere when you spend all your time talking into an electronic device or watching a parade or fireworks through a screen.

i'm hoping to go in March 2021, my first trip in 2 and a half years, if Joe Biden allows fully Astra Zenica vaccinated Brits into the country. I'm all booked and so excited, but, still have a plan B in place, just in case. I just want to eat my meals in peace and walk around without having to be aware of people talking into cameras.

OG Runner

Since you brought it up and I have noticed it a lot here, I have wondered why high thrills don't do much for most of you. I like Disney and Universal and they do very well when it comes to theming. I wish they pushed more towards thrills with theming. Velocicoaster is a great mix.

For me personally, it seems to be comfort. I am comfortable riding coasters like Space Mountain, Rock n Roller Coaster, Expedition Everest and the Mummy. Outdoor, steel coasters are outside my comfort zone. In the case of Six Flags it seems lazy to me. They paint a coaster purple & green and call it a Joker coaster.

Indy_UK

Can we add a 3rd option to the poll?

Other Disney fans…..

everywhere I go recently, everyone seems to be complaining about everything at Disney. The more for less etc. We know and we get it but jeez

The complaints about new firework shows too. I think people need to put it in perspective of their own lives

OG Runner

Can we add a 3rd option to the poll?

Other Disney fans…..

everywhere I go recently, everyone seems to be complaining about everything at Disney. The more for less etc. We know and we get it but jeez

The complaints about new firework shows too. I think people need to put it in perspective of their own lives
Why not start your own discussion? "What makes you happy to go back to Disney World?" "What do you enjoy most about going to Disney World?" "What makes Disney World the Happiest Place to you?" If you don't agree with the negative responses focus on the positive. There is definitely a lot of it. The majority of the people are just being negative to be negative.

danyoung56

I disagree with the premise of this thread. It assumes that every one of us has lost the love of Disney parks. It's kinda like the proverbial question "When did you stop beating your wife?" Is assumes facts not in evidence.

OG Runner

I disagree with the premise of this thread. It assumes that every one of us has lost the love of Disney parks. It's kinda like the proverbial question "When did you stop beating your wife?" Is assumes facts not in evidence.

I agree with your disagreement. It is what it is though and the site doesn't seem to care. I have seen discussions, (to paraphrase), asking;
Why is the Magic Kingdom such a mess? Why has Universal been allowed to fall into disrepair? They have no actual evidence but it starts a discussion. (argument) This "discussion" is based overall of a false premise.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
People just going to produce content for their social media is deflating. I feel they are not going to Disney for the right reason and it can lead to selfish, entitled bad behaviour from them. Why go somewhere when you spend all your time talking into an electronic device or watching a parade or fireworks through a screen.

i'm hoping to go in March 2021, my first trip in 2 and a half years, if Joe Biden allows fully Astra Zenica vaccinated Brits into the country. I'm all booked and so excited, but, still have a plan B in place, just in case. I just want to eat my meals in peace and walk around without having to be aware of people talking into cameras.
Time machine???

BHF

Original Poster
I've noticed a large dip in overall excitement about the parks lately. But is it due to the impact of the pandemic, or the new addition of pay to ride Genie+ ? Or a bit of both? Or something else? Or are you as enthusiastic as ever?

hsisthebest

It's definitely the pandemic- specifically ride delays. The last time we went was 2018, about 1 week before toy story land reopened. We have all of Hollywood Studios' new things to look forward to, but I cannot believe Tron or Guardians will not be open- GOTG was under construction the last time we went and TRON had been announced- looks like we'll miss them again like we did Slinky and Saucers

Phil12

For me it's not the pandemic. It's the failure of a significant percentage of the population to adhere to the minimum CDC guidelines to combat the pandemic.

Where I live, less than 60% of the eligible population is fully vaccinated. People are ignoring social distancing and many folks are not wearing masks. Of the people I see wearing masks, many do not have their noses covered.

It's just not worth the risk to contract or spread the virus because WDW and other crowded tourist attractions are not really safe until the pandemic is under control.

If I observed that people were properly following all the guidelines and the vaccination rates were higher, I would feel confident in visiting WDW.

But clearly, at this time, a visit to WDW is a fool's errand.

BHF

Original Poster
You just don't get a vote in the poll.
Then voice your opinion in the comments. The poll is for the two BIG topics hitting people hard over the past few months: The delta variant and the Genie+ announcement. Prior to the 50th kickoff last week and the new nightime roll-outs, those two issues were pretty much all your heard buzzing. I was wondering which of those two was the biggest monster in the room.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom