What's deflated your WDW enthusiasm the most: Pandemic or Genie+

What has deflated your WDW enthusiasm the most?

• The pandemic

• Genie+

Results are only viewable after voting.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
BobSnap.jpg

The wholesale destruction of half-a-century of goodwill, developed by a focus on customer service, with the relentless implementation of yield management strategies like Genie +.

Copper789

I voted genie+ but really both. Disney has gotten very creedy. They really messed things up with fast pass+. Now for the same thing they are charging big bucks. No magical express is going if not gone. You get nothing extra for staying on disney property.
we have been going since 1976 over 30 times. It was our go to place and escape from reality, but not anymore. It is sad because we are in our later years. It has reached the point we can no longer afford it.

Weather_Lady

For me, it's Genie+, in combination with the other cuts/upcharges: loss of EMH, loss of DME, loss of free FP+, and loss of park touring freedom (park reservation requirement, park-hopping reduced to a half-day privilege).

Obviously we still don't know the full impact of all of this, as the "new", watered-down version of EMH just started, and Genie+/LL hasn't yet begun, but I just don't see any of it resulting in an improved guest experience. Deep down, I hope I'm totally wrong: I didn't think I'd like FP+ or MagicBands either, and I ended up being a huge fan of both. (Of course, those were both introduced as "free" perks -- i.e., with any upcharge rolled into the ticket price -- and "free" stuff is always easier to warm up to. Disney doesn't give out anything for "free" anymore.)

Elfinko

Yeah, Genie+ definitely killed it for us. Creating an 'optional' paid service, that is not really going to be optional if you want to enjoy your stay is an epic eye-roll. Now, we'll have to pay up for Genie+ or use the DAS for our son and that's just an entire other process. As if families with autistic family members have time for yet another video call and more hoops to jump through for their disabled kids. We're already seeing umtpeen doctors, therapists and counselors a month. Let's add some from Disney now. GTFO of here. We'll just go to the shore.

Chi84

Premium Member
For me, it's Genie+, in combination with the other cuts/upcharges: loss of EMH, loss of DME, loss of free FP+, and loss of park touring freedom (park reservation requirement, park-hopping reduced to a half-day privilege).

Obviously we still don't know the full impact of all of this, as the "new", watered-down version of EMH just started, and Genie+/LL hasn't yet begun, but I just don't see any of it resulting in an improved guest experience. YMMV.
I agree with all the things you listed, but I suspect the worst for us will be the loss of park touring freedom resulting from the park reservations system and changes to park hopper rules.

All these rule changes are going to be challenging, but as I understand it you have to scan into your reserved park before being able to park hop. What if you change your plans to go to a water park in the morning, then want to visit a non-reserved park in the afternoon or evening. As I understand it, you would have to drop your first park and get a park reservation to the second one. This may turn out to be a nightmare for CMs to explain to guests and (in my opinion) rightfully so.

We visited in May, but didn't have any reason to switch from our reserved parks. We're going again in about three weeks and I'm hoping Genie+ will be in play by then so I'll have some chance to practice with it before the family vacation in April. But it's going to be interesting to explain the new system to family members who don't follow the rule changes and are used to switching parks at will under the old park hopper rules.

Patcheslee

Combine the cuts to hours, entertainment m they said was for covid. Increased work hours so less vacation days to ise due to covid. The extensive EP construction is another drawback. (we spend multiple afternoons there)

I've noticed a large dip in overall excitement about the parks lately. But is it due to the impact of the pandemic, or the new addition of pay to ride Genie+ ? Or a bit of both? Or something else? Or are you as enthusiastic as ever?
DW needs to stop this reservations stuff. You either are vaccinated or your not. We can take responsibility for our own selves. I don't feel like tryng to make reservations to have fun.

StarWarsGirl

DW needs to stop this reservations stuff. You either are vaccinated or your not. We can take responsibility for our own selves. I don't feel like tryng to make reservations to have fun.
I actually don't mind the reservation system, but think it should be reserved for busy periods. It was nice not to have to worry about whether I was going to be able to get in or not when I was there on July 4th; I knew I was in. It wasn't absolutely terrible with the reservations in place at AK on that date either (don't know about MK). If I were crazy enough to go on a super crowded day, I'd rather know I'm in than risk a capacity closure.

When I was there in September, it was super easy to change reservations; they were still available day of. Slightly annoying, but not a deal breaker IMO.

DfromATX

There's a definite bit of truth in it. I personally avoid the boards right before a trip other than Chit Chat because of the negativity.
Me too. Lots of nit picking and complaining. (Not this post, just generally speaking.) I go through phases of being on here. I’ll be off for months at a time. I still don’t know what the primary log in means - that wasn’t here last time I was here.

DfromATX

I’ve been looking at the wait times and considering today is the big day, they are very low. I’m thinking it has to do more with Covid. I wonder what the holidays will look like. Are international visitors allowed yet?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom