What.........

barnum42

Walt would roll over in his grave. Period.
Some of the books and stories that had nothing to do with Disney until Walt decided to adapt them.

Snow White
Pinocchio
Bambi
Cinderella
Alice in Wonderland
Peter Pan
Sleeping Beauty
Sword in the Stone
Winnie the Pooh
The Jungle Book
Treasure Island
20 000 Leagues Under the Sea
Swiss Family Robinson
Mary Poppins

So it's not new that the company takes inspiration from literature that does not come from within the corporation.

Tim G

Why would Walt roll over in his grave? He obviously had an attraction to storytelling and "magic," so what's the problem?
Why would Walt roll in his grave??? :eek: :confused:

Walt is still alive... :lookaroun

Just like Elvis... :lookaroun :lookaroun

And Jim Morrison.... :lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun

Some of the books and stories that had nothing to do with Disney until Walt decided to adapt them.

Snow White
Pinocchio
Bambi
Cinderella
Alice in Wonderland
Peter Pan
Sleeping Beauty
Sword in the Stone
Winnie the Pooh
The Jungle Book
Treasure Island
20 000 Leagues Under the Seas
Swiss Family Robinson
Mary Poppins

So it's not new that the company takes inspiration from literature that does not come from within the corporation.

Well put! Don't forget Pooh! he belonged to AA Milne loooooooooong before Disney picked up the Hundred Acre Wood. No one seems to have a problem with that.

i think if walt were alive right now he would say:

"help get me out of this freakin box! im not dead!!!"

but seriously though, youre entitled to you own opinion, but walt is not entitled to your opinion.... he's dead.

darthjohnny

I know Power Rangers wasn't originally Disney, but don't they have a right to it now, at least somewhat? It is on ABC Kids and Jetix on ABC Family and ToonDisney.

nibblesandbits

What does Star Wars have to do with Disney? Indiana Jones? Twighlight Zone? Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn? It doen't matter. If Disney thinks they can make a top tier attraction out of something they don't own, they'll go and get it.
Exactly. I don't get this whole dislike for Harry Potter in the parks when there are plenty of other things in Disney parks that, Oh My Gosh, were not created by Disney. The only difference I can see between Harry Potter and something like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Power Rangers, Twilight Zone, etc is that Harry Potter is newer.

Harry Potter is no different than any of these things...but you don't hear people complaining about them being in the parks. Instead, they have special weekends for Star Wars, The Twilight Zone TOT is one of the most popular rides on property, and Indiana Jones has been entertaining audiences for years. So what makes Harry Potter different?

Because a lot of people think he's a kiddy thing. And I can tell you...I was one of them...for a long time. I would not pick up a Harry Potter book. I thought it was stupid and childish and there was no way I was going to read it. Unfortunately, I had a friend who loved Harry Potter and made me go to the midnight showing of one of the movies...and you know what I realized. It has a great story line. Just like Indy and Star Wars. (Which...I have never seen either of those movies...just so you know...but still enjoy the attractions.) And it appeals to all ages.

I just simply don't get the narrowmindedness and I don't see how this is any different than anything that is already in place...especially things in place at the Studios which is where I see Harry Potter being.

disneylandkid

Account Suspended
Ok, so Disney gets Power Rangers Which is Not Disney, and Harry Potter, which is not Disney, So heck. I retract my other thread. Maybe people SHOULD be looking for Shrek at Disney.

Actually disney purchased the Power Rangers a while back so don't you think it makes sense to utlize them in the parks?

DisneyMusician2

Let's bottom line this: Walt wanted to create a park that a father could take his kids to and still have a good time with them. Well, kids LOVE Harry Potter. I know lots of ADULTS who love Harry Potter. I don't see why it should matter where the idea came from, or if it was invented in our out of the company. All that matters is that people can enjoy it and it brings a smile to someone's face. Try not to lose perspective on this. I'm a fanatic, but its a theme park. It has to stay current with the times, and still bring some joy to people who don't know it like we do.

december

How many of you have read the Harry Potter books? I had seen the first movie, and bought my son the 1st book, but had never read them myself. Then this year my school (I teach high school algebra) started a reading program (AR). The first 20 minutes of every day is reading time for the kids, and we were encouraged to join in. The first day snuck up on me and I didn't have a book, so I grabbed my son's Harry Potter. I LOVED it. Went out and bought the other five, and read all of them in one 9 wks of school. My husband laughs at me, but I can't wait until the last one comes out.

Bottom line-people love Harry. Somebody will profit from this. Why not Disney?

barnum42

How many of you have read the Harry Potter books?
I read the first three before there was a movie. Apart from the teen angst that messed up one of them, they are good fun books. Anything that encourages readings and the use of imagination - especially something that has to hold a child's attention for longer than five minutes has to be applauded.

mrtoad

What does Star Wars have to do with Disney? Indiana Jones? Twighlight Zone? Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn? It doen't matter. If Disney thinks they can make a top tier attraction out of something they don't own, they'll go and get it.

I agree. Tons of stuff at the World has nothing to do with a Disney original idea. I see no problem if HP came to WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom