What YOU Thought of New Fantasyland so Far

MissM

The theme and the scenery is gorgeous. The attractions are less impressive.

Mermaid is fine. It's not exceptional and it's not horrible. The queue is very impressive and detailed but the ride seems less so.

Enchanted Tales is cute. Again, Maurice's cottage and the details are great. But, if you're not in the show, you don't get your picture taken and you don't get an autographed bookmark. So it makes the rest of the "audience" mostly just observers of someone else doing something. Feels a little awkward.

It definitely feels like GREAT visuals with so-so activities. And not really enough of them.

I posted 54 pictures from Saturday here if anyone wants more photos: http://www.thefloridaproject.com/blog/

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think it appears to have accomplished what it was intended for. Free up space in fantasyland so it is not so congested. I think the attractions offered fit in well with the theme.

I laughed. Wdwmagic at its best here.

I agree with this 100% and don't really see how it is a negative comment. It HAS accomplished exactly what it is intended for and the attractions fit well in the theme.

In my opinion the scenery and theming looks amazing. Much more than I think a lot of people (including me) were expecting. The attention to detail and intricate designs show that WDI still has it. They can wow us if given a chance. Nothing but Casey's Splash Zone and Barstormer were open when I went in June so I can't really comment on the rest of the attractions. LM looks like a nice ride and Enchanted Tales seems like a winner for families with kids. I don't think the rides are the primary focus of this project. Adding a top notch sit down restaurant in MK is a huge plus. I agree with the WDW magic summary that this will be an area where you want to just stop and enjoy the scenery similar to parts of AK and World Showcase. They also managed to add in some areas to sit and rest which MK definitely needed. While I acknowledge this is not a "Potter swatter" I think it is a really nice addition to MK.

td1129

Just stop. Saying this land is "just to free up space" makes you sound utterly ridiculous. We have eyes. We know what we see us the best themed land ever created. And honestly it's not even that close.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Just stop. Saying this land is "just to free up space" makes you sound utterly ridiculous. We have eyes. We know what we see us the best themed land ever created. And honestly it's not even that close.
So what us the best themed land ever created?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm slow sometimes. Are you being sarcastic, or do you really think this is the best themed land ever created? I do think the theming and scenery look amazing, but Carsland and Potterland are both pretty solid too. Just my opinion.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Speaking of exposed show buildings, this is a little disappointing...

SightLine.jpg

Ignohippo

You asked for it...

Won't be seeing the newest parts for a while, so mostly based on many, many photos & vids:
-Extended Pooh Queue: A
-Castle Walls: A An inspired concept that helps link Cindy Castle to the back of the land, visually holds back the 'forest', frames the Carousel, Mine Train and Mermaid and forms an interior court for the older-style FL architecture.
-Storybook Circus General: A- I appreciate WDI moving the American/20th Century-set Dumbo away from older, European-based Fantasyland Proper and into a unique sub-land (feels like its own land). Deduct a few points because the tents looks plastic-y, rather than old-fashioned, natural canvas.
-Train Station: A
-Pete's Sideshow: A
-Great Goofini: B+ Dome deductions for reducing theme-ing (loss of barn and chickens), but the new queue features make up some ground.
-Souvernir shop: A
-Dueling Dumbos: B+ Deductions for visible showbuilding, but positives include some nice finishes and a great lighting package.
-Casey Jr: A
-ETwB Area Exterior: A+
-ETwB Cottage Interior & Workshop: A
-ETwB Wardrobe Interior & Library Interior: D While I think the Wardrobe & Lumiere are fantastic AAs and have I no problems with the cutouts or the kid-oriented show, I remain struck by how wrong the interior castle rooms look (like dressed-up convention center rooms). I can forgive the visible show lighting and required-by-law exit signs/fire lights (could be better framed), but the electrical plug outlets on the wall (put a cover over those, at least), the modern door closers and push-lock releases, the heavy enamel (plastic) paint on super clean & smooth walls & shelves, low ceiling, rectangular doors, etc... it all works to make one, kid or adult, feel in the furthest place from a fairytale or castle (the individual, actual books are nice improvement over the painted ones in DCA - that's the kind of attention to detail I expect from the whole set). In light of the outstanding achievement of the Mermaid/Cottage/Gaston interiors, it's baffling that these rooms ended up this way.
-ETwB Show: B- Had parts 2 & 3 taken place in interior show-spaces on par with the Mermaid queue, it would grade an easy A.
-BoG Exterior: A Waterfall, rockwork, sculptures, trees, castle all look terrific (one visible roof railing, notwithstanding)
-BoG Interior: B+ Haven't seen it all, but it looks to do many things right (arched doorways, relief walls, heavy wooden beams) that were missed in the ETwB "Castle" interiors. The Ballroom doesn't really soar in my eyes, but I am very impressed by the night mountain vista and the snow effect. Looks to be a lot of bright recessed lighting in some areas, which is a little problematic in selling a centuries-old castle...
Belle's Village: A Brilliantly-designed & -executed "fantasyland" architecture & finishes. Small deduction for the visible Mermaid queue building from the bathroom courtyard.
Gastons: A- Interior looks very good, but I think full-sized animal heads instead of the shrunken ones would have worked a little better.
Mermaid Exterior: A
Mermaid Queue: A+ The crab game surprised me. Finishes are up there with the best of the best.
Mermaid the Ride: B+ Points for putting a number of top-quality AAs in FL Darkride. Deductions for totally static, plastic fish (you can buy moving, singing wall-mounted fish for $45 at Cabellas), in-your-eyes show-lighting, slow-moving book-report ride without a real climax. Hard to fairly grade having never ridden it. The Ride itself benefits significantly from the queue - the adventure begins once you move into the caverns (or even under the castle) and culminates in the ride portion (similar to Indiana Jones Adventure in that respect, although the pay-off ride is in a different league). It's not a must-see, get-off-and-get-in-line-again masterpiece that one wishes it could have been, but it is a positive addition. Certain demographics may love it, but I'm not in that demo.

Overall: A It has its flaws or not-quite-fulfilled potential, but as a whole it is a big win: Instead of watering down of theme, as we have grown accustomed to, FLE does the opposite: It strengthens the park's and the land's theme by moving Dumbo to an American circus, by bringing classic Disney fairytales from different eras together in a beautifully-rendered setting. It is much better - theme-wise - than 20K was in that site. When/if the plantings grow in, it could add the beauty of mature shade trees to Fantasyland. I am no fan of toonification of the parks, but they work naturally in this setting.

2013 should be exciting as the Dwarf coaster and Tangled area (followed by Pan queue) will keep this one area of WDW moving in the right direction.

Whew... that was a lot.

...but you haven't actually seen it in person?

WDW97

I know where most of my Disney Savings are going next- Bonjour! Gift Shop. I. Need. Those. Pillows. :) lol specifically the Peter Pan and be or guest ones

Patricia Melton

I am wondering if the people who trashed this project for many months will admit they were wrong and it's turning out spectacularly. Somehow, I don't think they will be man (or woman) enough to do that.

Disney has hit a home run with this and I'd love to see some of the malcontents fess up and admit that the sometimes endless attacks and complaining were a big waste of energy because this New Fantasyland when completed is going to be a magical thing to enjoy for many years to come.

Maybe it could stop the malcontents from complaining about the next project if they see that this kind of behavior looks silly when the finished products turn out so well.

Yes, I think a disclaimer about whether or not you've actually experienced the area yourself would be helpful. I'm not sure anyone cares what your opinion of the pictures is.

I was there for the opening on the 12th and would put it on par with Wizarding World thematically. And as far as attractions, Wizarding is obviously exactly one new ride. Overrated in my opinion. Once Be Our Guest and Mine Train open and it's possible to walk from Storybook Circus to Enchanted Forest, I think Disney will have a real winner.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom