What wouldnt be built today?

Walt Disney1955

I agree esp with hall of presidents.. when it was opened it was like omg its Lincoln its George Washington talking... now its I dislike this president. Also it is long and dry... if it wasn't for its historical place in Disney id say it should be replaced. Whats funny is you hear cop being replaced but you never hear anyone dare mention hop.

You might be right that they wouldn't build it. It was nearly universal back in 1971 for Americans to love America. Now? Yikes. Yeah, too divided. Although even the ones that complain still stay here, so......................

But I think it would be sad if we wouldn't have a place for a unique attraction like Hall of Presidents.

Hard to imagine Small World being built today. Not only because the man behind this idea is long gone, but I am sure even that ride would offend multiple people in one way or another, although I don't know how.

Bairstow

You might be right that they wouldn't build it. It was nearly universal back in 1971 for Americans to love America. Now? Yikes. Yeah, too divided. Although even the ones that complain still stay here, so......................

You sure about that? 1971? In the middle of the Nixon Administration, the Vietnam War, and the school busing controversy, among many others?

Walt Disney1955

You sure about that? 1971? In the middle of the Nixon Administration, the Vietnam War, and the school busing controversy, among many others?

Look at even the Democratic National Conventions back then. Lots of patriotism. Lots of pride in the flag, etc. The parties weren't terribly far apart from each other back in 1971. And keep in mind people forget this, but Nixon won the 1972 election in an embarrassing landslide. The country wasn't so divided back then. There was a lot more respect for history.

Anyway, you can chalk up almost any politically incorrect ride that would not be built today. Pirates would not be built. I doubt Splash Mountain gets built as it was built in 1989 in Disneyland.

Mickeynerd17

Look at even the Democratic National Conventions back then. Lots of patriotism. Lots of pride in the flag, etc. The parties weren't terribly far apart from each other back in 1971. And keep in mind people forget this, but Nixon won the 1972 election in an embarrassing landslide. The country wasn't so divided back then. There was a lot more respect for history.

Anyway, you can chalk up almost any politically incorrect ride that would not be built today. Pirates would not be built. I doubt Splash Mountain gets built as it was built in 1989 in Disneyland.
And splash is getting removed for that very same reason.

Rbenz81

As alot of previous posters have said, basically anything that isn't IP related woldn't get built today. Animal Kingdom Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, The Poly, all wouldn't be built in todays generic centric resort builds. Imagineering isn't really knocking the ball out of the park with new and mind blowing rides or resort designs these days.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Why? I thought it was a pretty clever commercial. A cast member doing the tram spiel referenced it when I was at AK last year.
...in jest

That campaign brought universal groans, eye rolls and teeth clenching by Disney employees at the time. I wish I could erase the memory.

They underbuilt a park way over budget and attendance declined for several years after opening.

Smooth

This was in central Florida before Disney got there.
1593281165253.png

I wonder if that would be built today?

FettFan

Splash WOULD have endured had Walt Disney not turned down Marc Davis’ “Chanticleer” project.
A lot of the ride would remain the same, only instead of the Br’ers, you’d have...
image-asset.jpeg
ee153f34ac71532c3eaba87c7bd84d52.jpg

Imagineering-Disney_Marc-Davis_chanticleer.jpeg

7b556a64d2376453dfbdf7dcb146669b.jpg

BASS

Astro Orbiter. There's this massive presentation for that ride and it amounts to nothing but the Dumbo ride themed in outer space. Much ado about nothing.

Also, Tomorrowland Speedway. The theory was nice. But the cars are slow and the thrill level is very low. It also doesn't help that it has to be one of the hottest places on earth!

Totally agree on Hall of Presidents. Woof. Even before the highly partisan country we have now, I wouldn't be caught dead in there. I cannot imagine there's a lot of kids interested in that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom