What wouldnt be built today?

ppete1975

Original Poster
Thought with the parks closed I would do one of these what ifs.
So what has been built by Disney that would never be built today.
Im excluding non ip vs ip discussion because we know that would tangent.
But I was just thinking about space ship earth. I cannot imagine them ever building something that huge or expensive again in relation to the show building. They might build something like spaceship earth the ride but it would be in a regular building with a fake front, not a ginormous awe inspiring sphere that's held up by three legs. I know they considered it again at westcot, but I just don't see them going to those extremes again.

bdearl41

I would be shocked if a tower of terror would of been built today. Not only the lack of tapping into a super popular ip but also the intricacies into the effort for something foreign to most visitors from a thematic perspective. I agree on spaceship earth. No way a geometric sphere would get built.

Worldlover71

Though I love them both, I don't think The American Adventure or The Hall of Presidents would be built today. This is for a few reasons. First, many people are uninterested in semi-educational attractions which they might perceive as dull or dry. Second, they are both long presentations and people's attention spans seem to be diminishing. Similarly, people might not want to devote so much time to one attraction if it isn't an E ticket like FoP. Third, both have a distinct point of view with which not everyone may agree. There is so much that divides us today, Disney probably would not want to make trouble for itself.

ppete1975

Original Poster
Though I love them both, I don't think The American Adventure or The Hall of Presidents would be built today. This is for a few reasons. First, many people are uninterested in semi-educational attractions which they might perceive as dull or dry. Second, they are both long presentations and people's attention spans seem to be diminishing. Similarly, people might not want to devote so much time to one attraction if it isn't an E ticket like FoP. Third, both have a distinct point of view with which not everyone may agree. There is so much that divides us today, Disney probably would not want to make trouble for itself.
I agree esp with hall of presidents.. when it was opened it was like omg its Lincoln its George Washington talking... now its I dislike this president. Also it is long and dry... if it wasn't for its historical place in Disney id say it should be replaced. Whats funny is you hear cop being replaced but you never hear anyone dare mention hop.

Brer Panther

I think it's pretty safe to say that a non-IP ride like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad or Test Track wouldn't be built today. No way they would've built Expedition Everest today either, what with Bob Iger apparently considering it "nondescript".

No way they would built Disney's Animal Kingdom today, either. It'd be pretty expensive to get all those animals, and since so many people are anti-zoo nowadays...

tomast

Splash Mountain with its source material, TBH. Not today.
Splash is impossible to get choosen to be built nowadays, as it has a nice ride sistem, a kind of non-ip atraction and lots of audioanimatronics.

I think the actual version would be either a roller coaster with a part inside a showbuilding with screens and a part outside or a less thrill version some kind of trackless vehicle similar to Mickey Runaway Railway

tomast

I don’t think any of the low rise, sprawling Resorts would be built today. Towers are here to stay.

People want to be close to the elevator/lobby so they can save as many steps as possible.

Unfortunate.
My first time on a Disney Hotel, I could not believe there where all 3 floors, I was expecting towers buildings. But right now, I am happy that they do that instead of a tower. Towers should be built far from the parks, maybe near Dowtown Disney / springs

The Empress Lilly

Thought with the parks closed I would do one of these what ifs.
So what has been built by Disney that would never be built today.
Im excluding non ip vs ip discussion because we know that would tangent.
But I was just thinking about space ship earth. I cannot imagine them ever building something that huge or expensive again in relation to the show building. They might build something like spaceship earth the ride but it would be in a regular building with a fake front, not a ginormous awe inspiring sphere that's held up by three legs. I know they considered it again at westcot, but I just don't see them going to those extremes again.
But the IP discussion is integral to your question. Iger commanded only Disney IP in the parks, and his lackey Chapek got his job on his strict programme of rebuilding Disney in the image of Iger’s IP brand umbrella.

Disney is willing to invest huge amounts (pre-Covid), in lands, parks, attractions. It is not the size and scope of SSE that are beyond the modern TWDC ambition and investment level. From Cars Land at the beginning of this decade to the Star Wars lands at the end and the mega cruiseships in between, modern TWDC shows a willingness for huge investment. To the limit of what the shareholders will accept. Wall Street limited Disney's spending, not Iger.

SSE will not be build because of its subject matter. And because of its independent nature within the TWDC framework. And also because Disney no longer aims WDW at an audience remotely interested in listening to a....well frankly in listening, period. To anything but their own voice.

Megamazing

In the Parks
Yes

agreed. I personally have never spent any time even in the America pavilion except to walk through it, because for one thing I live in America but also, I’m from Massachusetts. A lot of America’s history is my state and that’s stuff that’s taught to us for YEAAAAARRS in school, last thing I wanna do is experience it at Disney, lol.

Robbiem

As other have said most of EPCOT would never have been built today - especially the Land boast ride, spaceship earth and American adventure. Could you imagine either Bob agreeing to a ride about growing crops?

animatronic shows. No resort since Tokyo has them although I believe a Beauty and the Beast style tiki room was planned for Paris So no tiki room or country bears

a lot of the slower transport type rides like the peoplemove, main st vehicles, steamboat and the launches at Epcot. I don’t think magic kingdom would have the ferry boat monorail set up and would be next to the parking lot.

port orleans riverside aka Dixie Landings. The resort‘s old south theme would be a hard sell today. I suspect we’d have a single new orleans hotel instead. Fort Wilderness - too much prime property for campers.

I dont think disney would add some of the other attractions which round out the resort either like mini golf or the water parks

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom