what would you say is too young when bringing a child for the first time?

jennc2001

20 months is a GREAT age to take your son!! And I wouldn't say he WON'T remember....we took our son when he was just 18 months old and he's 5 now and still remembers some of that trip!! It was great to see WDW through his eyes and how much fun he had meeting characters for the first time and my favorite, was him playing with chip and dale in DHS and going and sitting in their laps....it was the sweetest thing!! We're taking him and our new baby in Dec, when he'll be 10 months and we couldn't be more excited!! don't worry, you all will have a great time!!

Grlwonder

The first time I went to Disney I was 3 years old. This year we took our 1 year old cousin and he got bored really quick. I'm stilll young and don't know much about baby age, but I will say to start taking children when they know how to walk and talk. I've seen some really small babies who look like they were born a month ago, and some mothers-to-be who look like they are ready to pop! Just like with my little cousin, you have to take lots of rest stops and can't really go on the big rides because someone needs to watch the kids. I will say that the kids need to know disney characters and disney movies so they can be super excited to see them at Disney.

mouselvrmom

I agree that your child will probably have a great time! They are so adorable at that age and often really love all the sights and sounds and fuzzy characters.

We took our youngest at 10 months, our next youngest at 20 months, the next oldest at 3 and the oldest at 5. And I can honestly say that the biggest disney nut we have is my youngest. And my oldest enjoys it the least (although she's 15 and enjoys very little right now...:shrug:). We've always had fun and just enjoyed spending time as a family.

Although my hubby would say that he doesn't miss washing out baby bottles after a long day in the parks. So I agree with the previous posters who say that it is more about how ready YOU are to bring a child to the parks than how ready they are. And I also agree with the mom that the memories YOU have of your child enjoying the parks at that age are priceless!

LivFreeorDisney

My little girl is two years old and she's been to DW twice and on the cruise. DW is made for familys and they make it easy for you to bring the entire family young or old.

monkeysammich

My daughter's first trip was 17 months... She's 3 now and has been to Disney 24 times.

My son will be just over 1 month old... he's coming with us to our trip. He's not there for the rides... or shows... or anything. We're going for us, just taking special care to care for him and meet his needs while we have a good time with the family (and extended family)

marlaine8

My son was 23 months the first time we went. He's 6 now, and I just asked him what he remembered and he said his first ride-Magic Carpets of Aladdin. We purposely picked that ride-he loved it! All of us had a great trip! We've been back every year since and I can say that each trip has been a completely different experience for us! That's the 1 week out of the year that we look forward to--no distractions, just us. (No work, no computers, etc.)
Have a great visit!

Matt and Kelly

Between 0 and 72 hours old would be too young. Anything outside of that is just fine.

:lol::lol::lol:

While we still have to wait a few months for our little Princess to enter the world, we are already looking at planning a trip for the family when she is between 20 -24 months.

May be a little to o young to be able to remember anything whne she gets older but the pictures and memories we take away from the trip should be awesome! Already looking forward to it and is still two years away...I guess only about a year and a bit before we can start planning though!!

Party of 5

We've had three separate experiences with our 3 little ones.

Oldest son was about 21 mos when he first went. He was a little scared of the characters until the 2nd to the last day. Other than that, no prob.

2nd son was about a year and a half when he 1st went, as was our daughter. No probs whatsoever.

The nursery areas are GREAT!!! Especially the MK one near Crystal Palace. Also, remember to get your stroller rental vs bring your own. Our kids usually fell asleep mid day in the stroller, which was nice. But we also took breaks by heading back to our hotel (which was on the monorail line, making it very convenient).

The pics are great, but as many have posted, they probably won't remember much about the trip. One bit of GREAT news is that kids under 3 are FREE! So it's not like you'd be wasting a trip with them. We have usually traveled with my parents, which has been a big help

Testtrack321

Take your kids if you think they are ready to go; don't force it on them.

And this is for 20 months or 20 years old.

I went when I was really young and refused to ride nearly all the rides; all I wanted to do was look at the fountains! Be prepared for such pickiness, whining, and crying. Take breaks at the hotel, love your resort pool, so forth so on.

SaskDisneyGirl

Best of luck!! We are taking our kids this winter (22 months and 5 years old). As long as you go at there pace and take lots of potty breaks and nap breaks you will have a great trip!!

castevens

As long as you understand that this trip is for YOUR memories, not your child's, 20 months is a wonderful age to visit WDW.

We have wonderful photos of laughing, smiling children having a great time. Do my 26 & 17 year old remember those trips? Well, the elder does remember being there with her baby brother, but in general, no they don't remember.

But do I? You betcha! :)

I've always wondered if I actually *remember* my trip at 24 months to the World, or if I just remember looking at the photo albums every few years since then.

Cindy'sBruno

We took my dd when she was 3 months old and one year old and she enjoyed every minute including me and my dh. We are planning on going Sept 2011 and dd will be 2 1/2 and newborn is due Feb 20th so 7 months and we are so excited!!!!

Disneykidder

We are going next summer and will have a 2 1/2 year old, a 7 1/2 year old and a 5 month old. I am concerned about taking a 5 month old but the other kids really want to go again. My middle guy is obsessed with Mickey.

Anyone have any tips for taking a 5 month old? My middle guy did go to on a long vacation last summer when he was 6 months old but this will be non-stop.

Mr.Skunkape

Our youngest was 18 months the first time he went and he and the rest of the family had a great time. Remember to take lots of video of them with the characters as it is great to look at down the road seeing how they reacted the first time the meet mickey and his friends. We have gone several times since then and the kids still love watching the videos of all the character meals and meet and greets they do

ErickainPA

My son went to WDW at 7 months old (got his first Disney haircut that trip)
His first Disneyland Trip was at 10 months old (we live in PA so it was a trip)
He went again at 2 yrs old and his sisters were 1 yr old.

We are going again in a month with him at 4 yrs old and his sisters almost 3 yrs old (taking advantage of the under 3 for the last time)

mommamouse411

I say an infant with no shots is too young to take to disney...but after that its your trip...my 2yr old first went at 8months, and my baby went at 3months.

Was it hard...not really...and I did this ALONE. except wih the baby baby, I brought my step-sister (14yrold which was like being alone)...

but before the baby was born..my son and I went ALL the time to Disney/Seaworld.

and I remember how much fun each trip was. and I have the pictures to prove it...

just have a plan and be prepare to throw that plan away...lol....know how to get to the baby centers at each park. and bring strollers...I brough my travel strolles so we never had to go back to the hotel to take a break...stayed at the parks all day...if my son was sleeping, I would go to the baby center and let him rest and I can cool off..

just know some parks are just more fun for the toddlers...MK of course and Ak because of the animals. Epcot was more fun for me...but I made sure we saw all the characters there. DHS, well again, Playhouse Disney was fun, and I made sure we saw all the charactesr there...

zandt204

I currently have a (going on) two month old whom I took to Disney last week (or rather, I went and brought her along). She was fine until another baby started crying on CoP and then she wouldn't calm down. I'm antsy to return to the parks, as I just received an annual pass as a gift, but I'm dreading bringing her back (can't leave her with anyone, and obviously cant go on certain rides)

Maybe when Small World Reopens I'll attempt this again.

cbettua

Hey all, we just planned our trip in Nov to take my will be 11 month old. I think he is going to have a blast. My husband got the free volunteer pass from the give a day and we needed to use it by the end of the year. Can't wait to go!

Disneykidder

I have been taking my kids on vacations everywhere since they were about 5 month old. Disney will be a long one and far away, too. I'm sure our new Disney baby will be fine...just many breaks will be needed....fort baby and me!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom