What would you like to see in the place of Tom Sawyers Island?

RonAnnArbor

Original Poster
OK -- accuse me of being negativistic -- but for years there have been rumors that Tom Sawyers Island is ripe for being the next attraction to go at MK and that is a big chunk of land for redevelopment -- even Disney themselves have talked about closing the attraction in the past. So -- my question is this -- what would you like to see there instead? Put on your Imagineer thinking cap and what would you develope in that space, especially given it is an Island in the middle of a lagoon -- what would you design there? A coaster? A new dark ride? A show or different type of attraction? I don't mean this thread to be a discussion of the merits of Tom Sawyer Island -- I mean it to be a creative exercise for people to think about what they would Imagineer in that space --

DisneyDellsDude

I really wouldn't want anything to go there!
But if something had to...
I'd put in a 'classic dark ride'.
Something that really goes good with the old town of Frontierland!

Epcot82Guy

Although there would be water table issues, I would love to see the island remain fairly well intact, but I would like to see the queue for a larger attraction be housed there. Somewhat like the tracks for DLP's BTMRR. I think having a large show building outside the perimeter could be the start of a really nice attraction without destroying sight lines.

Grim Grinner

I'd hate to think that Disney would removed one of the most treasured sections of the park. Replacing it would throw off the entire dynamic of that side of the Magic Kingdom- where would the steamboat travel?

If something must go there instead of the classic island, I believe it should be Davy Crockett themed- afterall the popularity of the show allowed Walt to finance his original park.

When the Mike Fink Keelboats went away- I was saddened. They too had a part in the past- and something that modern audiences could enjoy. Davy racing Mike on the Mississippi was a joy to watch-

This is coming from someone who's about to turn 32 on Valentine's day. I never grew up with Mr. Crockett's adventures on the TV, only hearing the theme during the Country Bear Jamboree. Upon watching the Disney Treasures release on DVD, I gained a whole new appreciate for that section of the parks.

It must keep with the frontier theme and the adventuresome spirit of the pioneers who explored this country. A Davy Crockett dark ride would be cool. Another raccoon skin cap spinner ride would not be.

But what do I know? I just enjoy the island as it is.

StevenT

I like the island just the way it is, it's a great quiet place to take a break. However if you wanted to do something else to the island, it would be possible to create a passage through the fort and expand the back half of the island although it would mean certain death for the burning cabin.

Main reason not to expand or change it is that if you put anything bigger out there, you'll draw more people there, which will create hangups with the rafts. The rafts wouldn't be able to support a crowd increase so you'd have to build a bridge and now guess what? That's right, ferry boat has to go. I personally don't want to see any of that happen.

Magicot

I'm just surprised that this question came up- what with all that extra land in fantasyland/20K area to ponder about for future attractions. In my opinion, Tom Sawyer Island is timeless and should continue to stay right where it is. It still brings in alot of people, it supplies the much needed wooded/foliage part of Frontierland, and it pleases anyone from babies to old folks. I just don't see any logical reason to get rid of it (or even consider getting rid of it). I'm 19 and I still love running around and shooting those fake guns- it's one of the reasons why I keep coming back!

RonAnnArbor

Original Poster
OK -- let me repeat the post -- it is not whether Tom Sawyers Island should stay or remain -- assuming it is being rehauled what would you like to see there...

Sledge

Account Suspended
cowboibabyy said:
In my 30 years of enjoying WDW I have never been on Tom Sawyer Island but I just like knowing that it is there.
I used to live in Orlando and literally went every weekend and even I haven't been on Tom Sawyer Island.

Magicot

RonAnnArbor said:
OK -- let me repeat the post -- it is not whether Tom Sawyers Island should stay or remain -- assuming it is being rehauled what would you like to see there...

So my post is invalid? No need to repeat your post. I'd like to see Tom Sawyer Island there- even when assuming that it would have to go- I wouldn't want anything else, even as an imagineer.

PS- why is this under News/Rumors?

DarkMeasures

Tom Sawyer's Island kicks more ______ that anything I can think of. I would add more caves, and secret hiding places so you can jump out of corners and yell "BOO WAKKA WAKKA."

raven

That island ties Frontierland and Liberty Square together. If, and that is a big IF, something were to replace it then they would have to find something that blends in with both areas. After all you have to remember that a huge boat will still be going around it. But I think they will keep it as it is because it is one of the few spots in MK that is quiet and where you can let your kid run around without going too far away.

Davidsplanet

Perhaps a Halloween themed ride

With Halloween becoming more and more popular and Disney streching it's powerfull hands into the Halloween spirit. And the fact that the Tom Sawyer Island is close to the Haunted Mansion, perhaps a year round Halloween attraction would be appropiate.

Feta

Okay, I read these boards all the time - and I usually complain about the people who always moan about any change in their precious "classic" ride. For the most part, I think updating a ride and occasionally, changing a ride is a good thing for the park. For example, PoC is a wonderful ride, but could (and hopefully will) benefit from some effects updates. Having said this, the very idea of changing Tom Sawyer's Island seems totally offensive to me. What's wrong with it? Is there anything that really needs updating? Is this question posed just because of the sheer amount of land that it occupies. I think it's a wonderful place. As others have said, it's a great place to get away from the crowds. Maybe, update the effects at the fort or in the caves, but some things I hold sacred - leave my little island alone.

disneyland50

new ride

I would like to see a coaster or maybe a indiana jones thrill ride or something like Journey to the Center of the Earth, obviously the volcano can't be built but something to that extent.

WDWRLD

If they did anything its just a rehab and update. Make Aunt pollys menu a little larger, Id love to go there and sit on the dock and eat a meal rather than just get a drink. The playground they put there was nice but why not a HUGE playground that could take up the whole top of the hill. Open back up the snack place at the fort, offer something unique that you cant get anywhere else. Update the guns at the fort to actually do something as in the shootin arcade across the water. Bring back the Mike Fink Keel boats. Hace a Davy crocket character cano (sp) around certain times of the day. Dont touch the caves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom