What would you do?

danipooh

I know there have probably been threads about value vs moderate a million times. But here's my situation. I'm booked for All Star Movies for 6 nights in early December. We've never stayed at a value before--we've stayed at POFQ the last 2 visits. I keep hearing mixed reviews about the All Star's. DH is worried we won't like it and wants to spend the extra $$ and stay at a mod (he wants to try Coronado Springs). Anyway, I thought, why not take the extra $$ we'd spend to upgrade, and just stay a night or two longer at the value.

So...are the All Star resorts really all that bad? I feel like as long as it's clean and the food court is operational, that's all I need. I've just been reading so many stories of poor service. Should I keep the reservation and maybe add a night, or upgrade to a moderate?

One other thing--we're renting a car so wating for busses isn't an issue.

hls1023

We stay at the POP Century every time. We love it and I honestly don't think the extra money is worth it between the mods and the values. The last time I stayed at ASM the POP wasn't even built yet but at the time we thought it was great. You are staying on property no matter what and I would rather get to stay at WDW longer than fuss about the room.

Upvote 0

cb3k

If you don't mind me asking, how long are you currenly slated to stay at WDW? I ask because if I knew how many nights you already had as opposed to what you COULD have it will make my decision easier...haha, but I am a huge fan of the mods over the values. I have never done CS, but have done POFQ and POR and enjoy them much more than the AS resorts. Of course if you book extra nights, although your room costs may seem like a write off since you didnt upgrade..2 extra days of food and entertainment at WDW can significantly affect your budget...Well, those are my 2 cents..once I know how long the trip is currently booked for I will give a definitive answer...You will have an awesome time regardless of what you choose.

Upvote 0

nmj91385

I stayed at ASM 2 years ago and loved it. The rooms were clean and cutely decorated. As far as the service goes we only experienced one problem, and that was the extremely long line to check in. The check-in progress took almost an hour. I don't know if it was the time of day, a shortage of staff, just a fluke or the fact that everybody checking in had a million questions. Over the course of our stay I never saw the line that long again. Also if you are renting a car you will be fine. That was really the only big let down the long lines for the busses. It took forever on some mornings.

Upvote 0

bgraham34

I dont think the All Star and Pop are that terrible. Its like staying at a Days Inn. I personally wont make a trip and stay there for more than 1 night just because I prefer to stay the the WL.

Upvote 0

wvugeoggrad

I've stayed at values and mods before and personally liked both. I usually only stayed at a moderate for my birthday (good excuse for spending the extra $!). But if you don't want to spend the extra money the values are great. I've never had any problems there and the service from my experience was the same.

Upvote 0

beanbunny

We were die hard CBR fans for many, many years, however, we tried a value a couple of years ago and will probably stay with the value. The rooms are definitely smaller at the value but, since we spend so little time in the room, it doesn't really matter. We would much rather spend our money in other ways! Only 26 more days! :sohappy::sohappy:

Upvote 0

the_rich

i stayed at the ASM in 03..the rooms are clean, but kinda small...the food court was fine...the real big problem with the resort in my opinion is the bus service..the same bus services all three all-stars and they get packed quick..we were often left waiting for 30 mins to get on a bus...after that we went to Port Orleans and it was much better...we now only do deluxe, but i would def take a day less and stay in a moderate over a value.

Upvote 0

Heatherbell

I have stayed at deluxes, mods and values. Honestly I would not spend any more money at a mod or a deluxe. They (mods and deluxes) are beautiful (CB is my favorite!). AS are really nice IMHO though. They are clean which is the #1 important thing and they're cute. I did not find that there was poor service at all but I did notice long lines at check in (I think it was time of day though) but last time I stayed at CB there was a long line checking in too. Save your money for souveniers....stay at the AS, you won't be disappointed.

Upvote 0

wdwmomof3

We have stayed at the Allstar Resorts before and also at a Mod. Personally, I was happier with our last visit at ASMusic than I was at CB.(we had a bad room location) We had a preferred room and we drove so the bus was not an issue for us. The rooms had just been refurbished and very neat and clean. Before I cheated myself out of a couple of days at Disney, I would stay here again!:)

Upvote 0

doop

I stayed at All Star Sports back in '01, and honestly, there wasn't much bad about it. The pool was awesome and the rooms were clean and comfortable. I would definitely pick staying more nights over upgrading to a moderate.

Upvote 0

danipooh

Original Poster
If you don't mind me asking, how long are you currenly slated to stay at WDW? I ask because if I knew how many nights you already had as opposed to what you COULD have it will make my decision easier...haha, but I am a huge fan of the mods over the values. I have never done CS, but have done POFQ and POR and enjoy them much more than the AS resorts. Of course if you book extra nights, although your room costs may seem like a write off since you didnt upgrade..2 extra days of food and entertainment at WDW can significantly affect your budget...Well, those are my 2 cents..once I know how long the trip is currently booked for I will give a definitive answer...You will have an awesome time regardless of what you choose.

Right now we're currently booked for 6 nights. We were thinking of making it 8 (usually we stay for 9 or 10 nights so 6 seems really short). I also thought of the 2 extra days of food, etc... but I love WDW and that would be worth it for me. It's convincing the husband that the values aren't junky!!

Upvote 0

danipooh

Original Poster
For peace of mind stick with what you know - POFQ :sohappy:

I do love POFQ! But we wanted to try something new. We thought CS as a moderate because we stopped there on our last trip and thought it was really nice. I still would like to try ASMo, I just don't want to be blamed for it if we have a bad time!

Upvote 0

Capt. Salty

Be carefull of those tour groups of teenagers! we had an aweful experience at AS Movies...we were in a room right on one of the main courtyards, and everynight those groups came back (usually around 10:30'ish), they would walk the grounds singing loudly, yelling and being a huge nuisience! I complained each night, and security was able to get control of them, but it sucked. the walls were thin and we could hear all the guest's around us, so we tried to be quieter (with that in mind). We ended up getting a refund for some of our stay. We couldn't be moved to another room either, because there were so many tour groups there. We're staying at CBR our next trip (<2wks now:sohappy: )
and got a great AP rate for the entire stay.
We're firm believers in trying out as many of the different types of resorts (deluxe vs. mod vs. value vs. off-site), as possible.
Good luck! :wave:

Upvote 0
All Star Movies would have to be my favorite All Star but if I were you guys, I would have went with POP Century. Only because it is newer, very clean, nice staff, and they have their own buses. With All Stars, you have to share buses with the other All Stars. And if I can remember correctly, Movies is the last stop, so it can be very packed on them buses with longer waits. Other than that, nothing is really wrong with the All Stars...

Now if you were like me and my family, where you spend most of your time at the parks and less time at the resort then a value resort is PERFECT! I would do the value for more days then a Moderate for less days....Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

the_rich

I do love POFQ! But we wanted to try something new. We thought CS as a moderate because we stopped there on our last trip and thought it was really nice. I still would like to try ASMo, I just don't want to be blamed for it if we have a bad time!

if you wanna do a value dont do all stars, do pop century...it's newer and has dedicated bus service.

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

I know there have probably been threads about value vs moderate a million times. But here's my situation. I'm booked for All Star Movies for 6 nights in early December. We've never stayed at a value before--we've stayed at POFQ the last 2 visits. I keep hearing mixed reviews about the All Star's. DH is worried we won't like it and wants to spend the extra $$ and stay at a mod (he wants to try Coronado Springs). Anyway, I thought, why not take the extra $$ we'd spend to upgrade, and just stay a night or two longer at the value.

So...are the All Star resorts really all that bad? I feel like as long as it's clean and the food court is operational, that's all I need. I've just been reading so many stories of poor service. Should I keep the reservation and maybe add a night, or upgrade to a moderate?

One other thing--we're renting a car so wating for busses isn't an issue.
You could do like you said & split up your visit.
That way, you can see if you like to value resort.
:D :wave:

Upvote 0
Right now we're currently booked for 6 nights. We were thinking of making it 8 (usually we stay for 9 or 10 nights so 6 seems really short). I also thought of the 2 extra days of food, etc... but I love WDW and that would be worth it for me. It's convincing the husband that the values aren't junky!!

Their not Junky, so that is nothing to worry about...:wave:

Upvote 0

mcstensrud

We stayed at pop for a long weekend last may and it was a nightmare,
The pool was soooooo crowded and kids were throwing balls and noodles at everyone, young and old.Also we had people outside our door all nite drinking and talking and we were on the top floor!

I would only stay at a value for 1 or maybe 2 nites at the most.

I think that you will have a much better stay at a place not so overrun with tour groups and school trips.Way to many kids!

Dvc member since1999
Passholder
stockholder
visa card holder
dde card holder

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom