What would WDW look like if the collective minds of this message board was in charge?

toetheline29

If we stayed realistic (meaning we keep to the present budget), I think at first things wouldn't go badly. The hat would be removed from DHS, there would be a lot of general maintenance and sprucing up (especially in MK), SGE would be shut down, TTA would probably be worked on more, and there would be people somewhere getting to work on a plan to bring Horizons back. I think we could all agree on those.

After that, though, it seems like it would be difficult to get everyone (or even a simple majority) to agree on what new attractions to build. There's just so many good ideas already floating around without even taking into consideration the ideas that all of us have that it would be hard to get everyone to agree on what to do first.

musketeer

Original Poster
and there would be people somewhere getting to work on a plan to bring Horizons back. I think we could all agree on those.

This is what I mean by going broke. Why bring Horizons back? Millions upon millions of dollars would be spent on this, and for what? Would it bring people in? I doubt it. It may for those on these boards who are nostalgic, but I think it would be a poor investment.

toetheline29

This is what I mean by going broke. Why bring Horizons back? Millions upon millions of dollars would be spent on this, and for what? Would it bring people in? I doubt it. It may for those on these boards who are nostalgic, but I think it would be a poor investment.

Oh, it would certainly be expensive, which is why while I think it would be one of the first things to be considered and perhaps even planned, I think it would not be in the first wave of changes. Plus, it would take time to get designs and find space (unless we were going to tear down Mi:S, but that's a draw for some people and it's relatively new still, so it wouldn't make sense to take it down now.) Another point where things would get complicated would be in debating how much, if at all, it should be changed/updated/expanded upon.

I am too young to remember riding Horizons (although I'm sure I did, at one point or another). So there would be a lot of people (anyone my age or younger for sure, maybe even some a little older) who never experienced it in the first place and would be interested in riding just because they were curious. Plus, I imagine that a lot of the more casual Disney fans (read: not anyone here :)) probably don't remember Horizons really well, so it would be "new" to them as well. And the people here (for the most part) would ride for nostalgic value. Again, a debate inevitably would start about if anything should be added or changed from the original to allow it to have the same impact on today's audiences as it did way back when, so I don't know how far the project would get. But I think plans would at least be started.

techiegsy

Oh, it would certainly be expensive, which is why while I think it would be one of the first things to be considered and perhaps even planned, I think it would not be in the first wave of changes. Plus, it would take time to get designs and find space (unless we were going to tear down Mi:S, but that's a draw for some people and it's relatively new still, so it wouldn't make sense to take it down now.) Another point where things would get complicated would be in debating how much, if at all, it should be changed/updated/expanded upon.

I am too young to remember riding Horizons (although I'm sure I did, at one point or another). So there would be a lot of people (anyone my age or younger for sure, maybe even some a little older) who never experienced it in the first place and would be interested in riding just because they were curious. Plus, I imagine that a lot of the more casual Disney fans (read: not anyone here :)) probably don't remember Horizons really well, so it would be "new" to them as well. And the people here (for the most part) would ride for nostalgic value. Again, a debate inevitably would start about if anything should be added or changed from the original to allow it to have the same impact on today's audiences as it did way back when, so I don't know how far the project would get. But I think plans would at least be started.

I wonder if we would try to bbe too nostalgic though, and keep it exactly as it was back then, rather than making some technological and ideological updates, and the ending could be furtur improved... etc...

Deadman

There would be a new attraction called "Complain about what we are doing wrong" it would be directly across from the ever popular "Justify what we are doing correctly" attraction. Both of them would be located in the new "Corporate Disney" land. Also included in this land would be the "Let me tell you how I would run Disney" attraction, and the very fun dark ride called "Lets see you clean gum off the street, repaint chips, and change light bulbs".

-dave

count me in, sounds epic

-Extra Magic Hours would be changed to allow it to be the only time that Brazillian tour groups would be let into the parks.

why wasnt this thought of before?

Cmdr_Crimson

Only one thing that comes to mind......
parksclosed.jpg

drew81

Is there ever really a "collective" or "consensus" on a message board?

Putting aside the money, because it's more fun to think about this without having to worry about money....

Horizons, Mr. Toad, Superstar Television, Magic Journeys, Kitchen Kabaret, and every old attraction would be brought back to life.

You'd be able to get food items such as Dole Whip, Tonga Toast, and Zebra Domes at any food location.

There would be no more character autographs, and autograph books would be outlawed.

Indiana Jones would be up and running at the Magic Kingdom within a year.

Admission would be lowered to about $10.

Old, obscure characters that no one recognizes would be out doing meet and greets every day.
Construction on Beastly Kingdom would begin the day after the forum took over management.

The monorail would expand and connect every hotel and park at the resort.

It'd close within a year.

I like this! Miss Bianca and Bernard would be the first on my list.

Tip Top Club

Uhm, Let's See. By 2014...

Alien Encounter would replace Stitch's Great Escape.
Beauty and the Beast would replace Snow White.
New Daytime Parade for MK.
New Fireworks show for MK.
New Nighttime Parade for MK.
Spaceship Earth's Descent would be completed.
Total Overhaul for Universe of Energy.
Stormrider and corresponding Weather Pavillion replacing WoL.
Test Track would be gone in a heartbeat and be replaced by a brand new version of Horizans.
Imagination Pavillion would be redone with a new 3-d show and dark ride.
Soarin' would get it's own entrance outside of the land.
Russia, Austrailia, Brazil, Spain, South Africa, and India would all get their own WS pavillions.
Mt. Fuji Roller coaster behind Japan.
Germany would finally get it's rhine river cruise.
Italy would finally get it's gondola ride.
DHS would get a DCA-size redo taking place in about a year.
Idol would be launched into Outer Space with Stitch, the hat, and chester and hesters.
Indianca Jones Adventure would open next to the theater.
Star Tours 2.0 (Oh Wait that's already happening. I meant to say...Star Tours 3.0)
Great Muppet Movie Ride Replacing Backlot Theater.
Carsland (Or Something Similar with Pixar Characters) replacing that God Awful Backlot Tour.
One Man's Dream would be expanded on an epic level.
Prince Caspian would be leveled and replaced by the incredicoaster.
Monster's Inc would finally open next to toy story.
Beastly Kingdom would open and would basically stretch through all the backstage areas on the left half of DAK.
New Dinosaur Boat ride replacing Chester and Hester's.
World of Color presented nightly in the DAK lagoon (I can't think if It has a name or not).

And probably more then that.

techiegsy

Test Track would be gone in a heartbeat and be replaced by a brand new version of Horizans.
Russia, Austrailia, Brazil, Spain, South Africa, and India would all get their own WS pavillions.
Idol would be launched into Outer Space with Stitch, the hat, and chester and hesters.
Star Tours 2.0 (Oh Wait that's already happening. I meant to say...Star Tours 3.0)
Carsland (Or Something Similar with Pixar Characters) replacing that God Awful Backlot Tour.
Beastly Kingdom would open and would basically stretch through all the backstage areas on the left half of DAK.
World of Color presented nightly in the DAK lagoon (I can't think if It has a name or not).

All these events would be green lit imediataly and WDW would turn into a sea of walls. The costs would be astronomical, and if we managed that, then the amount of walls would reduce vistor numbers and WDW would close within 6 months, left half demolished.

trr1

make this a 10-14 year plan instead

Krack2

Oh, I don't know ... I think some of us wouldn't screw things up too bad. I think you would see a ton of attractions return and some new non-E-tickets. Off the top of my head (let's call it a 10 year plan, in order):

Year One:

1. Journey Into Imagination would be immediately restored to it's original glory, including a new and improved Imageworks.
2. The Wonders of Life would be re-opened on a full-time basis.
3. The Fantasyland Forest project would be thrown out the window (this is where a lot of the money is gonna come from).
4. Double the maintenance budget at all four parks (light bulbs, painting, cleaning) - get things back to the standards that were there in the mid-80s.
5. New policy on strollers: No outside strollers allowed in the park, and the ones rented in the park will go back to mid-80s size.
6. New policy on bags: No more bags allowed larger than a standard sized backpack (like a kid would bring to school) or a large purse.

Year Two:
7. Animal Kingdom gets a Fantasyland. Start construction on 5 new small dark rides (size and scope of Snow White) in Animal Kingdom, as the start of a new "land". Mr. Toad, the Lion King, the Little Mermaid, Lilo & Stitch and Hercules.
8. EPCOT is now Epcot Center. Restore all of the Future World pavilion "symbols" to all of the signage and park maps, etc.

Year Three:
9. Replace Aerosmith with KISS in the Rock & Rollercoaster with photo-op with the band at the exit.
10. Begin slightly re-theming the far end of Sunset Boulevard (starting at the entrance to Beauty and the Beast) to a "spooky" area.
11. Add a small Nightmare Before Christmas dark ride to this area.

Year Four:
12. Remove the hat; move it to outside the front gate.
13. Remove the Magic Carpet Ride spinner. If it can be moved next to Dumbo and retro-fitted to "double" that ride (as shown in the Fantasyland Forest plans) fine. If not, get rid of it. Regardless, no new fancy queue for Dumbo.
14. Major refurb of the Enchanted Tiki Room, install a computerized system that allows for three different shows to be shown on a continually rotating basis (the original, plus two new ones) - design a sign outside the holding area that makes it clear what show is coming up next.

Year Five:
15. Build Horizons - put it between the Seas and the Land.
16. De-clutterize Future World (no more tarps, pinwheels, gravestones, etc.)

Year Six:
16. Add the Adventures Club as a sit down-restaurant/show in the new "land" at Animal Kingdom. No "side rooms" just a re-do of the show elements in a "main room" with tables and sit-down dining.

Year Seven:
17. Remove Stitch's Great Escape. Rebuild it at the far end of Sunset Boulevard as "Alien Encounter". Make sure it is one hundered percent clear that it is too scary for small children.
18. Use the Stitch building for a small TRON 2.0 or Wall-E attraction.

Year Eight:
19. Finish Space Ship Earth. Re-do the monologue and restore as much of the dignity as you can of the original.
20. Test Track is now The World of Motion (in name only, unfortunately). Take down all the scaffolding at the entrance and try to restore the facade to it's original "classier" version.

Year Nine:
21. Close the Backlot Tour at Hollywood Studios.
22. Turn the Backlot Express Restaurant into a Star Wars Cantina Bar sit-down character meal (Darth Vader, Chewbacca, etc).

Year Ten:
23. Break ground on a Russia Pavilion. No huge E-Ticket anything, but at least one gigantic restaurant.
24. Re-open the Odyssey as a sit-down character meal. Remove the princesses from Akershus.

*Sigh* My ten years are up and I never got a chance to put the Temple of the Forbidden Eye in Hollywood Studios. Oh well, there's always Year 15.

RECAP:
Six B-Tickets (the dark rides), Three C or D Tickets (Horizons, TRON, Alien Encounter), One E-Ticket (Journey Into Imagination), Four sit-down restaurants (three character meals), and a re-emphasis on maintenance. No new Fantasyland Forest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom