What will it take to stop you from going to WDW?

What will it take to stop you from going to WDW?

• Attraction line system that actually makes the whole experience worse

• Escalating or out of control prices. Nickle & diming the customers

• Replacing favorite rides with IPs

• Removing favorite or beloved attractions

• Reduced entertainment like shows, fireworks, meet & greets, etc.

• Opening new rides with inferior effects

• Hate Disney management

• Overcrowded making it less enjoyable

• Disrepair or poor condition of the parks and rides

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jeff4272

Yeah, a 5 hr drive to visit sis in law, which didn't used to be a big deal, that's a minimum of a $100 trip now in fuel. For those that drive a long distance to Disney, that can be a big deal.
Its more of your monthly gas bill for 2 car family just likely went from $400 a month to $800 a month

me and my wife gas costs were $50 per week, per car, now its over $100 per week, per car

so discretionary spending/savings go out the window

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree it takes time.......12-18 months
That is the traditional wdw planning wdw. 18 months was a benchmark in the reservation/forecast system that they adjusted to.

It may be less in the digitized world now…but still significant.

$4.50 gas today doesn’t mean open tables at magic kingdom on Easter

Minnesota disney fan

Its more of your monthly gas bill for 2 car family just likely went from $400 a month to $800 a month

me and my wife gas costs were $50 per week, per car, now its over $100 per week, per car

so discretionary spending/savings go out the window

Not to mention the high cost of basic groceries. Everything you order or buy now is high priced. Apparently, the word is that the gas prices are going alot higher!!!
All these things make any trip right now sound kind of iffy.

sullyinMT

There's really no incentive to stay onsite either.........I dont think the premium warrants the location only aspect now.......Before you used to get alot (ME, Magic Band, parking, early FP booking, early dining booking, EMH)

Now you get nothing but higher prices
100%. And, while not a Disney exclusive, MOUSEKEEPING (though reports are it's retuning). My family really enjoys POFQ. And we used to be able to justify the "Disney Premium" for all the reasons you mentioned. It's a themed-grounds overpriced Garden Inn, but we accepted it because it "felt good" every 18 months or so.

We're in early planning for 2023 under the assumption that most park operations will level out to a new baseline we can accept. And that enough of the fave old stuff (M&Gs, Pooh at CP) and current construction will be resolved by then. But, the onsite perk loss probably isn't coming back. So, sadly (smartly?), we're exploring offsite options - especially AirBnB/VRBO - for the first time. Even with park parking fees, we'll still save significant money. The rental car will likely be free with points.

OG Runner

Surprised to learn?

Yes. I initially read the description incorrectly and thought I would purchase the $15.00 Genie+ or purchase the $11.00 LL for
the individual ride. I did not understand I had to purchase Genie+ and then the LL on top of that. I was my mistake. Does that
clear it up for you?

Heppenheimer

The water activities around Bay Lake were fine for many years. I am pretty confident TDO had a budget for gator removal and/or fences to be maintained. Well, that's pretty much all gone. The multiple boat types and swimming options in the 70s and 80s were a large part of what made it a vacation resort destination. You could water ski and it wasn't a bank breaker. While we did go to the water parks, the fact that one had to go all the way there, effectively killing most of a day or at the very least half a day and a separate admission process didn't compare to what was originally designed.
I miss those lake activities too. I had to verify on this board that my memory actually was correct, and I did, in fact swim in Bay Lake at both the Contemporary and Fort Wilderness.

But I think the lack of alligators in the lake back then probably had more to do with the American alligator being on the brink of extinction by the early 1970s than because of any efforts by Disney to keep them out.

GimpYancIent

While transportation does affect people's decisions about going to Disney properties, the further away from the properties the more the impact of various modes of transport also limitation of choices. There are other factors of cost at the properties and diminishing quality of the experience that are also affecting the go or do something else decisions. I see a cumulative number of negatives not just one specific item that is stopping people from going to Disney properties.

Last edited by a moderator:

prberk

It already has happened. They have priced me out after 39 years of at least yearly participation. Not there fault that I don't have as much money to throw away anymore, but none the less restrictive for me.
That’s pretty much me too. Prices are crazy right now, and the simple pleasures are harder to find without a price. I used to enjoy it so much, but I just can’t afford it.

Woodworker88

Just sold all our DVC membership points. Also letting our APs expire without renewal. 50-year plus Disney family with the first trip to Disneyland in July 1965. Finally had our fill of price gouging and ridiculous pricing. C'mon, $4 for a Coke and $3.50 for bottled water? And the real ticker is the Disney management.

We're done and probably won't go back.

The Lochness Monsta

I'm quoting this reply not as a direct response to the poster, but because it illustrates something I struggle to understand. Before I start, please know I'm not in disagreement with either of these points because they're both an issue individually IMO.

Both price increases and overcrowding have a large majority of votes. Logically I wasn't expecting both of these reasons to draw a majority of votes. Almost 2 in 3 voters chose at least one of these two reasons, and given that they're both voted by a majority, there has to be overlap. The part I can't understand is how someone can expect crowds to shrink if prices were reduced. One can't expect crowds to shrink if Disney makes it more affordable considering they're already drawing record crowds. I mean, as a matter of argument you can state that Disney needs to open up new parks/attractions and spread the crowd out more, but that only brings higher prices to pay for the expansion. I'm not saying they shouldn't expand. They absolutely should, but as a business, if you produce a lower value product for an increased price and you still attract record crowds, then there's really no reason to try to improve anything let alone reduce prices.

I'm sincerely asking if I'm missing some other way to reduce crowds and prices at the same time, and still make business sense? Just curious.

LOL, I didn't say one would resolve the issues of the other. I just said it was the worst things about Disney right now.

I think a lot of the overcrowdedness has to do with foreign withdrawal and having just 4 theme parks. Disney was building 1 or 2 every decade until the 21st century (71, 82, 89, 98) plus they also added 2 water parks (in 89 and 95).

But that hasn't stopped them from making new resorts and villas. They've steadily added more and more rooms every decade. For a set of parks that has stayed at the same number.

Last edited:

gmk3855

What is going on right now. Constant price hikes on everything, having to pay for Genie + and the Lightening Lanes, having to get up early to get the Genie + or LL so that I can actually ride something without waiting in long lines, the loss of incentives that used to be free. the lack of any kind of caring and concern from then people running Disney about the current situation. We used to look forward to going to WDW every other year, now it's more of a hassle and pain than an enjoyable trip.

GimpYancIent

It is a fact too many people talk a good game but that is it. At the end of a day at WDW it is quite the sight seeing the exhausted guests trudging out of the parks after a full day of walking. I did like to go during marathon week get up early, run a stimulating race, enjoy a hearty breakfast then do a full day at the parks on 4 consecutive days. It was very satisfying. I was hoping Disney would go with some sort of biathlon (run or walk / bike) event but that would be reaching. That was then now Disney does not offer enough to justify the cost. To be fair If Disney was to bring back the Coast to Coast Challenge and offer runner discounts i.e. for park tickets and resort hotels it would be an opportunity to give Disney a second look, but, that would be really reaching.

Last edited by a moderator:

BunBun

I do not want to wake up early to madly start competitively booking the day on my phone. We’re not going back until that system is gone. And we’ve been on about 25 trips?
Ditto for needing to stare at my phone to ‘manage things’ during the day. Nope.

Maybe someone learned that this was a great system in their management school classes. It’s not. Having to use this system to have a reasonable wait time makes it ‘not a vacation’.

If Disney wanted some more money they could have simply raised prices some for all rather than create a horrible unpleasant nightmare that you need to use on your ‘vacation’.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom