• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

What will Disney do about the resorts expiring in 2042 ??

Lensman

Premium Member
The thing about DVC is that this is a timeshare. The longer I own, the more I realize that this isn't an asset in the traditional sense. There will be a time when it is worthless really in terms of assets. I do think this is a fallacy most owners have. We're not talking a piece of property we own, we're talking a diminishing value item. So you talk of liquidity, I think of "can I unload if needed?" and not about what I'll get back. Not at this point.

The future is going to devalue resorts on its own. That's something we all need to reconcile with. This product has a limited time of actual value before it declines and on a regular basis too.

I know 2042 is a while from now, but all these 2042 resorts will become less and less valuable. In 15 years we'll be at the lower end of the cycle and nothing we can do will ever bring up the value.
I think you mean a timeshare isn't like a real estate asset with substantial value represented in land. Most physical assets have a limited lifespan like a timeshare - a car or boat for instance. Let's take the example of a car that you buy to use every day or so. It has declining value and will eventually become worthless except for certain rare edge cases that we don't need to discuss. Yet resale value is something that some people do take into account. It even has interesting properties similar to DVC where buying resale is often described as smarter than buying "new" from the dealer because the value drops so much the moment you "drive it off the lot".

However, there are obviously differences between a car and a timeshare resort. :)

Anyway, the point of the analogy is that I don't think it's necessary to call anyone who considers resale value to hold a nonsensical position. It's just a position that is different from yours. I'm not saying that someone who ignores resale value is wrong, just like my sister isn't wrong for saying that she doesn't care about the resale value of her house because she intends to live in it for the rest of her life.

And I'll repeat what I've said in other threads, I agree that it makes little sense to consider DVC as a financial investment. I mean, you can, but it would generally be considered a poor one. :)

I also agree that the resale value of the 2042 resorts has to start declining at some point as we get closer to 2042. I'm frankly amazed that resale prices have kept going up for so long.

helenabear

Advertisement
I think you mean a timeshare isn't like a real estate asset with substantial value represented in land. Most physical assets have a limited lifespan like a timeshare - a car or boat for instance. Let's take the example of a car that you buy to use every day or so. It has declining value and will eventually become worthless except for certain rare edge cases that we don't need to discuss. Yet resale value is something that some people do take into account. It even has interesting properties similar to DVC where buying resale is often described as smarter than buying "new" from the dealer because the value drops so much the moment you "drive it off the lot".

However, there are obviously differences between a car and a timeshare resort. :)

Anyway, the point of the analogy is that I don't think it's necessary to call anyone who considers resale value to hold a nonsensical position. It's just a position that is different from yours. I'm not saying that someone who ignores resale value is wrong, just like my sister isn't wrong for saying that she doesn't care about the resale value of her house because she intends to live in it for the rest of her life.

And I'll repeat what I've said in other threads, I agree that it makes little sense to consider DVC as a financial investment. I mean, you can, but it would generally be considered a poor one. :)

I also agree that the resale value of the 2042 resorts has to start declining at some point as we get closer to 2042. I'm frankly amazed that resale prices have kept going up for so long.
I was on my tablet when I wrote that, but I do believe I said piece of property. At least here piece of property is used to talk about real estate (land, homes, etc). I've never heard of that referring to a car or boat, so yes, I meant actual land. We have a lease with a timeshare. Not a piece of land. We cannot confuse it for that. Granted homes and land can go down in value, but it's not a sure thing. Limited time leases are a sure thing.

So the car analogy is not at all what I had in mind when thinking of piece of property - though it is closer to a time share in terms of value (unless you have a real special car).

Top Bottom