• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

What will Disney do about the resorts expiring in 2042 ??

Naplesgolfer

Original Poster
Disney has 6 resorts expiring in 2042. 4 in WDW and 2 elsewhere . I wonder if they will need to start offering extensions of various lengths on these resorts soon. I know they can't remodel (or demolish and rebuild) and resell these resorts all at the same time they need 3-4 gaps in order to do the work and sell out. they need them to expire on a staggered time line. What do you think? When will they start to extend?

nickys

Advertisement
Disney has 6 resorts expiring in 2042. 4 in WDW and 2 elsewhere . I wonder if they will need to start offering extensions of various lengths on these resorts soon. I know they can't remodel (or demolish and rebuild) and resell these resorts all at the same time they need 3-4 gaps in order to do the work and sell out. they need them to expire on a staggered time line. What do you think? When will they start to extend?

That was a complete disaster at OKW, where they now have owners with two expiration dates. Since they will own at different units, which are in legal deeds, DVC will be unable to rip any buildings down to rebuild from scratch .... the whole thing is a mess.

What will they do? It’s anyone's guess right now. Re-furbish and start selling again. Rebuild a new resort. Wind down the timeshare programme (unlikely).

note2001

You can bet that whatever Disney does with the resorts it will be to produce a larger profit off the location.
My guess: Disney will create a new timeshare system and refurb/rebuild for that. DVC will eventually pitter out.

nickys

You can bet that whatever Disney does with the resorts it will be to produce a larger profit off the location.
My guess: Disney will create a new timeshare system and refurb/rebuild for that. DVC will eventually pitter out.
And the new sale restrictions perhaps support that view. Riviera, Lakeside and any new resorts could all be part of a “DVC mark 2”. Maybe testing the waters with the Riviera resale restrictions.

Not sure I agree with the first part. Not until 2060 at least!

Last edited:

helenabear

5 resorts - OKW ends in 2057

Likely they will resell or rebuild depending on how things are going for Disney.

That was a complete disaster at OKW, where they now have owners with two expiration dates. Since they will own at different units, which are in legal deeds, DVC will be unable to rip any buildings down to rebuild from scratch .... the whole thing is a mess.

What will they do? It’s anyone's guess right now. Re-furbish and start selling again. Rebuild a new resort. Wind down the timeshare programme (unlikely).
The owners with 2042 just relinquish their membership in 2042. This needs to be said many times so people truly understand what happened. There are not 2 end dates for OKW. Only 1. Some owners signed a quitclaim deed saying they are handing it over early.

They will, and are, able to sell OKW and keep selling OKW with an end date directly. So in 2042, DVC gets a whole lot of 15 year points back that they can sell no extra charge to them (unlike ROFR).

Top Bottom