What will Disney’s response be to Universals 4th gate?

bUU

??? I'm talking about Universal and how they've got a narrow group they're appealing to. ... WDW has a ton of stuff across all age groups.
However, to be fair, the most aggressive thrill rides at Disney are peers to the "wimpy" thrill rides at Universal. And that's not accidental.

bUU

I think there is a lot less of that attitude around here than the attitude that if you enjoy rides that move faster than walking speed that you are six flags trash.
That's not what's going on: The inane attitude is the one that claims there is only one way to measure quality, the way the person with the measuring stick feels, rejecting the millions of others who prefer things be different.

If you want to measure quality one way you have only one choice: Money. It is the only rational, objective, and one-dimensional way of measuring this kind of thing.

bUU

Generally, I think Disney has vastly overestimated the potential market for anything with the name "Star Wars" on it. Yes, the original trilogy is beloved and ingrained in our pop culture. But Star Wars is not the kind of property that can sell anything and everything to the masses just because of the name.
I'm not convinced one way or the other, but your analysis is missing one part of the target market: This is a very limited and exclusive offering. For good or ill, there is a healthy market for experiences that very few people have the opportunity to have, regardless of what they are.

bUU

I was actually standing in a virtual line for this hotel because it had my name written all over it. Then I got pretty turned off of Star Wars in general because Disney oversaturated every market they could with it because that's what Disney does. It's not even the good stuff, it's just a regurgitated "new" trilogy that's (to me) little more than a search and replace of the original scripts. I have no interest what-so-ever in Galaxy's Edge or the new hotel.

..but I digress..
No, that's not a digression - rather in what you've written you reveal something vital about why your attitudes are the way they are, through your own description of how you allow your baseless expectations cripple your own ability to appreciate something that otherwise you would have appreciated. It really helps explain why you, and those who agree with you about most things, are so curmudgeonly beyond reason. It's like someone who loves hamburgers finding a new favorite, super-juicy burger, and then turning on a dime and hating it when discovering that the secret ingredient that makes the hamburger more juicy than the average burger is a panade.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
No, that's not a digression - rather in what you've written you reveal something vital about why your attitudes are the way they are, through your own description of how you allow your baseless expectations cripple your own ability to appreciate something that otherwise you would have appreciated. It really helps explain why you, and those who agree with you about most things, are so curmudgeonly beyond reason. It's like someone who loves hamburgers finding a new favorite, super-juicy burger, and then turning on a dime and hating it when discovering that the secret ingredient that makes the hamburger more juicy than the average burger is a panade.

It seems as though you're working quite hard at making a career out of being a Disney apologist and shill. You're building an incredible strawman argument and then defeating it quite nicely. Nothing I've said was baseless, even if you don't like it.

Do you get paid by the word, it seems like you're paid by the word.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
However, to be fair, the most aggressive thrill rides at Disney are peers to the "wimpy" thrill rides at Universal. And that's not accidental.

Oh, really? Alright, let's play this game. Which ride is a peer to Rip Ride Rocket? Which is peer to Hulk? That's a cute implication that Disney is copying Universal.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Let me give you a hypothetical.

I am a night person. Always have been, always will be. I value the time in the Disney parks at night. You could not get me to go to a park at rope drop even if the ticket was free. No way I'm getting up that early on vacation.

So suppose Disney offered a ticket that ran from 6 a.m. - 6 p.m. for $100. And then they offered a ticket that ran from 6 p.m. - 2 a.m. for $200. The latter is 4 hours less than the former. You would tell me that it is wrong to prefer that ticket because of the value. But I would definitely buy the more expensive ticket. Because it is the one that matches my preferences.
I would tell you that’s block pricing and it’s a completely slippery slope that leads to higher costs for smaller windows as we all descend the slope together.

They know what they’d be doing and we should know it with them.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Just as long as you’re not being insulting or the like....

unmitigated disaster

It’s used to justify Disney constantly. “I think it’s worth it to ME”.

But that is wrong. Because worth is an inference of “value”, and if you pay $120 for 4 hours as opposed to $120 for 9 prior...it is not “worth it” on the scale of value.

From an academic perspective...that opinion is wrong. All the time.

And Disney preys on that...so they steer you towards that opinion with false equivalency or emotional advertisements.

That is splitting hairs 😂

I get your point. What I’m talking about is the contention that a personal opinion cannot BE wrong because of “personal choice”

How dumb is that? We run into 100 instances a day of completely wrong, stupid personal opinions.
That’s what it was designed to be...they just punted.
Worth is often subjective though.

Paying $179 for New Balance tennis shoes is worth It to me so I can have shoes made for my wide, fat, supinating with high arches feet. Others scoff and say $25 tennies from Target are fine and I'm getting ripped off. Just like my $14 purse from Wal-Mart is fine for me, but others will only be satisfied with a Gucci or Hermes purse.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Worth is often subjective though.

Paying $179 for New Balance tennis shoes is worth It to me so I can have shoes made for my wide, fat, supinating with high arches feet. Others scoff and say $25 tennies from Target are fine and I'm getting ripped off. Just like my $14 purse from Wal-Mart is fine for me, but others will only be satisfied with a Gucci or Hermes purse.
Hmmm...don’t think that analogy applies

I do agree to a certain level of subjectivity...but the parks are basically the same when they are open. They TRY to make it seem like these repackages vary much...they do not.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
It’s used to justify Disney constantly. “I think it’s worth it to ME”.

But that is wrong. Because worth is an inference of “value”, and if you pay $120 for 4 hours as opposed to $120 for 9 prior...it is not “worth it” on the scale of value.

From an academic perspective...that opinion is wrong. All the time.

And Disney preys on that...so they steer you towards that opinion with false equivalency or emotional advertisements.

That is splitting hairs 😂

I get your point. What I’m talking about is the contention that a personal opinion cannot BE wrong because of “personal choice”

How dumb is that? We run into 100 instances a day of completely wrong, stupid personal opinions.
That’s what it was designed to be...they just punted.
Opinions cannot be wrong. If somebody is making a “factual statement” and their information is incorrect, their statement is wrong.

“World of Motion is better than Test Track.”

“Test Track is better than World of Motion.”

Neither is inherently true or false. Simply a matter of personal taste.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Yes. The latter is called, "becoming jaded".
I’m not jaded. I know what they are capable of producing and I know what they have chosen to produce. And yet, even though EPCOT isn’t perfect to me anymore, I’m excited about a lot of what’s coming. Just hopeful that it’s high quality.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Let me give you a hypothetical.

I am a night person. Always have been, always will be. I value the time in the Disney parks at night. You could not get me to go to a park at rope drop even if the ticket was free. No way I'm getting up that early on vacation.

So suppose Disney offered a ticket that ran from 6 a.m. - 6 p.m. for $100. And then they offered a ticket that ran from 6 p.m. - 2 a.m. for $200. The latter is 4 hours less than the former. You would tell me that it is wrong to prefer that ticket because of the value. But I would definitely buy the more expensive ticket. Because it is the one that matches my preferences.
I’m a night person too and I would be all over that later ticket if it was offered in September. Like, zero waits for anything lol.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Opinions cannot be wrong. If somebody is making a “factual statement” and their information is incorrect, their statement is wrong.

“World of Motion is better than Test Track.”

“Test Track is better than World of Motion.”

Neither is inherently true or false. Simply a matter of personal taste.

But that’s semantics...textbook definition. The 3D human world doesn’t operate that way.

So we agree to disagree as to what is more important

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom