What will Disney’s response be to Universals 4th gate?

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
The parks they have now have all the POTENTIAL to be the most incredible and unique parks in the world. I don’t want to see a 5th/7th Park any time in the near future. They still need to fully realize what’s there now before they even consider adding something else of that scale.

Mainahman

bUU

So basically you don't have a argument, just keep calling someone names until they back down and refuse to argue with you. How very mature.
It's textbook browbeating.

The parks they have now have all the POTENTIAL to be the most incredible and unique parks in the world.
Why put that as the paragon, though, instead of (say) most "exciting and adventurous" (words that Disney actually uses to describe what they're offering)? This cuts to the matter of rationality - what is the benefit of expecting something other than what is offered? That disconnect (going down the path of expecting something other than what's offered) invariably leads to disaffection, like a teenager imaging this perfect prince or princess in their future, without ever actually maturing into realizing that something deeper and more meaningful - and more practicable - is what is actually worthy of pursuit.

unmitigated disaster

Universal won't come close to WDW with its 4th gate unless they have a lot of things besides roller coasters and simulation rides. My father was 89 our last trip to Orlando and was interested in Universal until we sat down and really looked at what he could do. Now, he's in great shape for his age but most simulation rides and all roller coasters are too shaky, bouncy and hard on his body for him to go on. It was just not worth it.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Universal won't come close to WDW with its 4th gate unless they have a lot of things besides roller coasters and simulation rides. My father was 89 our last trip to Orlando and was interested in Universal until we sat down and really looked at what he could do. Now, he's in great shape for his age but most simulation rides and all roller coasters are too shaky, bouncy and hard on his body for him to go on. It was just not worth it.

Not everyone is 89 years old though so that is sort of a silly implication. Millions and millions of people are capable of doing everything at the park. Generally speaking, Disney World is the better theme park for children from 6-12. From 12-50 Universal is a blast and there is overlap with Disney while the adults in that demographic have children in the 6-12 group. From 50-80 you're taking your grandkids to both parks.

Where's the problem?

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
It's textbook browbeating.

Why put that as the paragon, though, instead of (say) most "exciting and adventurous" (words that Disney actually uses to describe what they're offering)? This cuts to the matter of rationality - what is the benefit of expecting something other than what is offered? That disconnect (going down the path of expecting something other than what's offered) invariably leads to disaffection, like a teenager imaging this perfect prince or princess in their future, without ever actually maturing into realizing that something deeper and more meaningful - and more practicable - is what is actually worthy of pursuit.
Because at one point they were. And in some cases still are. Despite the shape it’s in, EPCOT is still unlike any other place on earth.

Many places are exciting and adventurous. Disney are at their best when they offer something you can’t find anywhere else.

unmitigated disaster

Not everyone is 89 years old though so that is sort of a silly implication. Millions and millions of people are capable of doing everything at the park. Generally speaking, Disney World is the better theme park for children from 6-12. From 12-50 Universal is a blast and there is overlap with Disney while the adults in that demographic have children in the 6-12 group. From 50-80 you're taking your grandkids to both parks.

Where's the problem?
Because older folks want to go on rides, too, regardless of whether they have grandkids or not (no).

bUU

Because at one point they were. And in some cases still are. Despite the shape it’s in, EPCOT is still unlike any other place on earth.
That's not actually an answer to the question: What is the benefit of expecting something other than what is offered? The question is a bit introspective, and forces those engaging in that kind of habitual behavior to view what they do with a critical eye, something that perhaps requires more maturity than some are willing to muster.

Because older folks want to go on rides, too, regardless of whether they have grandkids or not (no).
Yes, we do, but what makes anyone think that Disney hasn't already hit on the perfect mix for the guests that they're targeting?

I made the point a couple of weeks ago about how many guests are very happily spending most of their days walking around the World Showcase Lagoon eating food and drinking wine and taking in some live performances, walking through shops, etc. I made the point a couple of weeks ago that my family spends upward of 45 minutes in The Oasis and Discovery Island Trails at Animal Kingdom, while others are sprinting to FoP. Let's also mention the hour-long queues for meeting costumed characters. And so on.

Some are analyzing Disney as if they view those activities with derision - they seem incapable of appreciating what these other guests appreciate.

Who's right and who's wrong? Neither. However, Disney is devoting a good amount of its attention to the former (and Universal, perhaps, devoting more of its attention to the latter). In that context, and in the black-and-white way that some look at things, I suppose that the thrill ride commands lose - but the reality is that they only lose if they try to fit themselves, as square pegs, into the round holes that Disney furnishes. They whine and cry about how Disney fails, but it isn't Disney that fails but rather they themselves who fail - fail to aim themselves at a venue that is targeted at them, instead insisting that a venue targeted at others be changed to fit their own personal proclivities. And they do it again and again and again, the definition of insanity.

unmitigated disaster

??? I'm talking about Universal and how they've got a narrow group they're appealing to. My dad can do everything he wants to at WDW and at Disneyland except the Indiana Jones ride because it's too hard on his shoulder.

WDW has a ton of stuff across all age groups.

Disneyhead'71

That's not actually an answer to the question: What is the benefit of expecting something other than what is offered? The question is a bit introspective, and forces those engaging in that kind of habitual behavior to view what they do with a critical eye, something that perhaps requires more maturity than some are willing to muster.

Yes, we do, but what makes anyone think that Disney hasn't already hit on the perfect mix for the guests that they're targeting?

I made the point a couple of weeks ago about how many guests are very happily spending most of their days walking around the World Showcase Lagoon eating food and drinking wine and taking in some live performances, walking through shops, etc. I made the point a couple of weeks ago that my family spends upward of 45 minutes in The Oasis and Discovery Island Trails at Animal Kingdom, while others are sprinting to FoP. Let's also mention the hour-long queues for meeting costumed characters. And so on.

Some are analyzing Disney as if they view those activities with derision - they seem incapable of appreciating what these other guests appreciate.

Who's right and who's wrong? Neither. However, Disney is devoting a good amount of its attention to the former (and Universal, perhaps, devoting more of its attention to the latter). In that context, and in the black-and-white way that some look at things, I suppose that the thrill ride commands lose - but the reality is that they only lose if they try to fit themselves, as square pegs, into the round holes that Disney furnishes. They whine and cry about how Disney fails, but it isn't Disney that fails but rather they themselves who fail - fail to aim themselves at a venue that is targeted at them, instead insisting that a venue targeted at others be changed to fit their own personal proclivities. And they do it again and again and again, the definition of insanity.
Wait, I thought it was Disney who is course correcting and now has 2 thrill coasters under construction.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

??? I'm talking about Universal and how they've got a narrow group they're appealing to. My dad can do everything he wants to at WDW and at Disneyland except the Indiana Jones ride because it's too hard on his shoulder.

WDW has a ton of stuff across all age groups.
It is true that Universal isn't interested in going after the little diapered Davey and Pacemaker Pam demos. They are going after the demos that Disney ignores. You know people who expect their theme parks to have rides that move faster than a walking pace. The Disney demo thinks riding in a car going 58mph is a thrill ride.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom