What to Watch Going Into the Earnings Report

Disney Maddux

1. You can't just talk about the things at LucasFilm that failed (or wasn't as big a blockbuster as they hoped because it only made $1.3 billion instead of $2 billion :rolleyes: ) and lay them at Kennedy's feet without also the successes: Clone Wars, Rebels, Rogue One, Mandalorian.

2. If you think that Iger is giving input for each Mandalorian episode but Kennedy isn't... that's crazy talk.

3. You paint a beef between Kennedy and Iger. But the only outward facing sign of that beef is that Iger doesn't talk about her in his memoir? That's weak. Compare that to:
  • Iger on a quarterly call took the blame for Solo
  • Iger appears with Kennedy for smiling photo ops with Kennedy for the opening of Star Wars Land as the Fandom Menace is proclaiming she's being fired.
  • The leaked story of Leslye Headland was supposed to be the flashpoint of a showdown between the Bobs and KK... according to *you*, and yet, within a week, Disney is announcing the Headland project.
    • If you think the Bobs couldn't just simply crush it if they didn't want it... you're mad. This is the same Bob Iger who got rid of several execs who were supposed to replace him.
    • If you think the Bob's are afraid of Headland's background, remember, Iger is the one who arranged for Lasseter's leave and retirement.
  • Obviously, in any studio there will be creative differences and maneuverings to do what one wants to do (Marvel had its share of fired directors). But inflating that into an all out war without any real proof is just deranged wishful thinking of the Fandom Menace. Remember what happens when you *presume* and *surmise* something is the case in the face of contrary proof?
4. The leaked story of the Headland project mentioned an all female protagonist team. The official announcement didn't. Stop treating that detail as confirmed.

5. Which is more likely: KK is outplaying her powerful boss for years and years, a boss who has fired execs and studio heads; OR... the fandom menace is seeing just a phantom menace?

6. KK is still in charge of LucasFilm. If she really did and is the cause of all the things you said, she really would have been fired. Since she ain't been fired after all this time... you're the one not understanding the dynamics. Stop trusting the stories that 'insiders' who don't like KK are telling you. They're spinning you.
THANK YOU! Said it better than I could've.

icc2515

The rides being completely powered off is concerning to me. I wonder if some of them will not function correctly going forward.

Think of it like a car, you wouldn't want to leave it sitting for months on end, and if you do it may not start.
Maybe if you wouldn't have furloughed all your maintenance crews you could ask them.

BTW just wondering when you call Iger, what comes up on his caller ID?

havoc315

If they wait until August to reopen the parks, I will start a class action lawsuit with any fellow shareholders willing to join me. They have a fiduciary responsibility to reopen as soon as it is safe and possible. I understand a month or two closure. But no DL for the rest of the year? Ridiculous!

If they re-open when they know internally that it's unsafe.... and a couple super spreaders infect hundreds of people... and you get a bunch of deaths related to Disney World, then Disney will be bankrupted by both lawsuits and a PR nightmare.
So yes, they have a fiduciary responsibility -- and that responsibility absolutely requires caution.
Let's remember -- if they open soon, it will be at partial capacity, with lots of required modifications -- It might not even be profitable to run the parks that way.

So the best thing to do from a fiduciary standpoint, is to wait.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
If they wait until August to reopen the parks, I will start a class action lawsuit with any fellow shareholders willing to join me. They have a fiduciary responsibility to reopen as soon as it is safe and possible. I understand a month or two closure. But no DL for the rest of the year? Ridiculous!

This is one of the funniest posts I've ever read here. Thank you!

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
The most interesting tidbit here, to me, was DLR being closed basically the remainder of 2020. Not sure if it's true or not, but that thought is definitely mind blowing, especially for the reasons why.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Currently, the number Disney has is 1.5%. That is, with a standard (not N95 or higher) mask, the chance of two adults transmitting the virus while both wear a mask is 1.5%. That's currently too high to reopen the parks safely. At that rate, you have a 1/75 chance of contracting the virus when in close proximity with others,
1.5% works out to 1 in 67. Not 1 in 75.

brb1006

1. You can't just talk about the things at LucasFilm that failed (or wasn't as big a blockbuster as they hoped because it only made $1.3 billion instead of $2 billion :rolleyes: ) and lay them at Kennedy's feet without also the successes: Clone Wars, Rebels, Rogue One, Mandalorian.

2. If you think that Iger is giving input for each Mandalorian episode but Kennedy isn't... that's crazy talk.

3. You paint a beef between Kennedy and Iger. But the only outward facing sign of that beef is that Iger doesn't talk about her in his memoir? That's weak. Compare that to:
  • Iger on a quarterly call took the blame for Solo
  • Iger appears with Kennedy for smiling photo ops with Kennedy for the opening of Star Wars Land as the Fandom Menace is proclaiming she's being fired.
  • The leaked story of Leslye Headland was supposed to be the flashpoint of a showdown between the Bobs and KK... according to *you*, and yet, within a week, Disney is announcing the Headland project.
    • If you think the Bobs couldn't just simply crush it if they didn't want it... you're mad. This is the same Bob Iger who got rid of several execs who were supposed to replace him.
    • If you think the Bob's are afraid of Headland's background, remember, Iger is the one who arranged for Lasseter's leave and retirement.
  • Obviously, in any studio there will be creative differences and maneuverings to do what one wants to do (Marvel had its share of fired directors). But inflating that into an all out war without any real proof is just deranged wishful thinking of the Fandom Menace. Remember what happens when you *presume* and *surmise* something is the case in the face of contrary proof?
4. The leaked story of the Headland project mentioned an all female protagonist team. The official announcement didn't. Stop treating that detail as confirmed.

5. Which is more likely: KK is outplaying her powerful boss for years and years, a boss who has fired execs and studio heads; OR... the fandom menace is seeing just a phantom menace?

6. KK is still in charge of LucasFilm. If she really did and is the cause of all the things you said, she really would have been fired. Since she ain't been fired after all this time... you're the one not understanding the dynamics. Stop trusting the stories that 'insiders' who don't like KK are telling you. They're spinning you.
But RedLetterMedia...

celluloid

To the talk about possibly moving Mulan's theatrical opening another year, at that point it may be best to release it to a home pay per view premier and then to Disney Plus. It really has become the most troubled (in cost and shuffling)Disney film of all time which is constantly costing them more to please an audience that was so divided on it to the point of seeming to boycotting against it rather than passive love it or meh. (from what I read about its production aiming to please China)
All of the changes.
There is a lot of political charge over in China right now and I think that the USA is going to have a hard time escaping to Mulan (rightful or not) due to more information coming out of what was known or not given about Covid19.

Disney can play the hopes of being out in a dry of content climate as people and theaters will need new releases after this is calming down, or they can do a home release for a month and then add it as a Disney Plus incentive to give Disney Plus some much needed content. It is very costly to keep moving and spending more on advertising new release dates to audiences that eventually get apathy. The parks are closed and promotional avenues and synergy are not an option for this one.

Mulan is never going to be the smash hit they hoped for and aimed to please China with, but they can be smart about how much they lose if they make a smart choice on release.

brb1006

To the talk about possibly moving Mulan's theatrical opening another year, at that point it may be best to release it to Disney Plus. It really has become the most troubled Disney film of all time which is constantly costing them more to please an audience that was so divided on it to the point of seeming to boycotting against it rather than passive love it or meh. (from what I read about its production aiming to please China)
All of the changes.
There is a lot of political charge over in China right now and I think that the USA is going to have a hard time escaping to Mulan (rightful or not) due to more information coming out of what was known or not given about Covid19.

Disney can play the hopes of being out in a dry of content climate as people and theaters will need new releases after this is calming down, or they can do a home release for a month and then add it as a Disney Plus incentive to give Disney Plus some much needed content. It is very costly to keep moving and spending more on advertising new release dates to audiences that eventually get apathy. The parks are closed and promotional avenues and synergy are not an option for this one.

Mulan is never going to be the smash hit they hoped for and aimed to please China with, but they can be smart about how much they lose if they make a smart choice on release.
Doesn't help that South Park made a episode about the Chinese goverment and Disney that aired last Fall.

brb1006

I did not see it, but was it a social satire on Disney Catering to Chinese audiences? I guess that would bring it more to limelight.
Yeah, South Park did a huge take that at Disney Catering to the Chinese audience/government and Winnie The Pooh censorship in China. That episode really brought the situation to the public eyes outside of the Internet.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
You really hit me hard with my July WDW reservation and my DL reservation. At least you didn't destroy my DCL Dec cruise...Yet

Who knows what the cruise line industry is going to be like going forward.

Star Wars box office fact- every trilogy saw a drop off film to film, with the exception of “Revenge of the Sith”.

Within Disney, Star Wars is being compared to Marvel... Marvel grew over a decade, Star Wars has declined over six years. That's the issue.

1.5% works out to 1 in 67. Not 1 in 75.

Sorry, I should have double checked the math I did in my head. Good catch. I'll update and give you credit in the morning.

I really can’t believe that anyone takes the OP’s posts seriously at this point. There is *so* much incorrect info in a few of these items it isn’t even funny.

Feel free to let us know which ones and how they're wrong. I'm not perfect, but I do try to corroborate sources and use real connections. Many people thought I was making things up about Close the Gap too, but it was right.

CircusPeanuts

Feel free to let us know which ones and how they're wrong. I'm not perfect, but I do try to corroborate sources and use real connections. Many people thought I was making things up about Close the Gap too, but it was right.

Well #3, 4 and 6 are *completely* wrong, so I have to assume the rest are as well.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I asked this before, but it's worth repeating:

Which Bob will be doing tomorrow's call. The CEO or the "CEO"?
Eisner is coming back...he’s the only one with “disaster” experience.
I nominate this for the hall of fame too.
Well they did open WDW's Galaxy Edge around that time, lol.
How’d it do?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom