What to Watch Going Into the Earnings Report

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Star Wars box office fact- every trilogy saw a drop off film to film, with the exception of “Revenge of the Sith”.
I don’t want to upset penguin...so I’ll keep it brief:

A little bit of context...attack of the clones was a disaster on its own part and by extension of the phantom movie...so really nowhere to go but up.

Star Wars was an international phenomenon really not seen since...it ran for 2 years in first and “1A” release. It is very hard to make a Direct argument on that.

But people make bad ones: for instance...using the bloated gross of 1977-79 as a comparison to empire’s (best one...little debate) take as a justification for the last Johnson’s drop in the era of overpriced multiplexes worldwide. I’m still looking for the right price to “buy” that one?

But that’s a tangent.

Jedi made slightly more gross than Empire...but is less adjusted. But a recent event - the most massive unemployment binge In US History by a factor of 5 or more - unearthed an interesting fact: the previous record initial filing numbers were in 1982...
Turns out the economy really sucked in 81-82...remembered but not publicized. The NATO world was on the tail end of its industrial, middle class existence and the economy blew. Fewer people were going to the movies in 1983...it is safe to assume. Much more of a “splurge” then than now.

Just perspective. Downplaying the steep decline of 7-8-9 in “great” economic times continues to be remarkably “pro-Disney”. That will never change...only become more obvious over time.

Ok...so pro says nothing opening for months....let’s see what that looks like? 🤪

Mouse Trap

3 is probably a little long...4 seems wrong

6 is dead on.

Let’s see how it go?

1 is also wrong/outdated. There are no new concerns any political mudslinging will hurt Mulan. The narrative of the film itself is also far from political and the only backlash/concern remains Yifei’s comments. It would be an incredible and desperate stretch to perceive the film itself as pro-CCP by any sort of news outlet.

Any concern has already been baked in previously. The July date has always been perceived as optimistic and if it’s shifted it’ll be purely because of COVID. There are certainly discussions about this, but that shouldn’t be a surprise.

While Disney obviously needs this to perform well in the USA, they’re watching China much more closely.

Last edited:

doctornick

Yeah, South Park did a huge take that at Disney Catering to the Chinese audience/government and Winnie The Pooh censorship in China. That episode really brought the situation to the public eyes outside of the Internet.

Don't all studios do that? I feel like it is pretty common knowledge that film studios pander to the Chinese government in order to ensure their films get released there (there's still a limited number of Western films allowed per year) and have access to that huge market.

I mean, I'm sure a lot of people in the public don't know or care, but it's not exactly a secret to folks who pay attention to the industry. Also, I don't think the viewership of South Park is really big enough to "bring a situation to the public eyes" all that much.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
1 is also wrong/outdated. There are no new concerns any political mudslinging will hurt Mulan. The narrative of the film itself is also far from political and the only backlash/concern remains Yifei’s comments.
The only people who would have added sensitivity around China are the ones who think that their government intentionally unleashed an uncontrollable deadly virus in their own country to, um, kill Americans.

Disney hasn’t exactly been catering to that crowd.

doctornick

1 is also wrong/outdated. There are no new concerns any political mudslinging will hurt Mulan. The narrative of the film itself is also far from political and the only backlash/concern remains Yifei’s comments. It would be an incredible and desperate stretch to perceive the film itself as pro-CCP by any sort of news outlet.

Any concern has already been baked in previously. The July date has always been perceived as optimistic and if it’s shifted it’ll be purely because of COVID. There are certainly discussions about this, but that shouldn’t be a surprise.

Yeah, the idea that Mulan would be pushed back to 2021 seems entirely plausible, but the framing of that point by the OP seems laughable. I mean delaying because "Disney is caught in a real PR nightmare potentially"? Um, okay.

At worse, there might be some box office suppression from some folks expressing anti-China sentiment. And since Disney does cater to the "wholesome family entertainment" crowd that in part might include some of the more right wing xenophobic types in this country, okay maybe distancing it from COVID-19 could be viewed as a good idea in terms of box office receipts. But it is not like they'd be condemned by the media/public at large for simply making a movie based in China - especially since it's a remake of an already established/well liked film.

Last edited:

HauntedMansionFLA

1. You can't just talk about the things at LucasFilm that failed (or wasn't as big a blockbuster as they hoped because it only made $1.3 billion instead of $2 billion :rolleyes: ) and lay them at Kennedy's feet without also the successes: Clone Wars, Rebels, Rogue One, Mandalorian.

2. If you think that Iger is giving input for each Mandalorian episode but Kennedy isn't... that's crazy talk.

3. You paint a beef between Kennedy and Iger. But the only outward facing sign of that beef is that Iger doesn't talk about her in his memoir? That's weak. Compare that to:
  • Iger on a quarterly call took the blame for Solo
  • Iger appears with Kennedy for smiling photo ops with Kennedy for the opening of Star Wars Land as the Fandom Menace is proclaiming she's being fired.
  • The leaked story of Leslye Headland was supposed to be the flashpoint of a showdown between the Bobs and KK... according to *you*, and yet, within a week, Disney is announcing the Headland project.
    • If you think the Bobs couldn't just simply crush it if they didn't want it... you're mad. This is the same Bob Iger who got rid of several execs who were supposed to replace him.
    • If you think the Bob's are afraid of Headland's background, remember, Iger is the one who arranged for Lasseter's leave and retirement.
  • Obviously, in any studio there will be creative differences and maneuverings to do what one wants to do (Marvel had its share of fired directors). But inflating that into an all out war without any real proof is just deranged wishful thinking of the Fandom Menace. Remember what happens when you *presume* and *surmise* something is the case in the face of contrary proof?
4. The leaked story of the Headland project mentioned an all female protagonist team. The official announcement didn't. Stop treating that detail as confirmed.

5. Which is more likely: KK is outplaying her powerful boss for years and years, a boss who has fired execs and studio heads; OR... the fandom menace is seeing just a phantom menace?

6. KK is still in charge of LucasFilm. If she really did and is the cause of all the things you said, she really would have been fired. Since she ain't been fired after all this time... you're the one not understanding the dynamics. Stop trusting the stories that 'insiders' who don't like KK are telling you. They're spinning you.
John Lasseter had a great career at Pixar and Iger got rid of him.

doctornick

That's the point. Iger/Chapek and TWDC is not above firing anyone no matter their importance. If they wanted to remove Kennedy from her position, they could have done so anytime in the past few months or years. Given the decline in performance of the SW films, no one in Hollywood would have batted an eye to see her let go.

If the OP was correct in describing Iger's relationship with Kennedy (or that they "were livid" with Lucasfilm or whatever), she'd be gone. Call me crazy, but I think a more likely explaination is that he's been fed bad/exaggerated information or his personal filter/opinion is causing him to overstate the reality of the situation.

Mouse Trap

That's the point. Iger/Chapek and TWDC is not above firing anyone no matter their importance. If they wanted to remove Kennedy from her position, they could have done so anytime in the past few months or years. Given the decline in performance of the SW films, no one in Hollywood would have batted an eye to see her let go.

If the OP was correct in describing Iger's relationship with Kennedy (or that they "were livid" with Lucasfilm or whatever), she'd be gone. Call me crazy, but I think a more likely explaination is that he's been fed bad/exaggerated information or his personal filter/opinion is causing him to overstate the reality of the situation.

People have been saying KK’s firing is imminent for almost 3 years now. Eventually all of these guys will have an “I told ya so” moment. And no matter if she steps down/retires/etc she got fired in their eyes.

brb1006

I'm so excited! You guys get to hear me talk tomorrow!! Who's excited!?!?
Something like this.
N7TMr.gif

Moe = Bob Chapek

Krusty = One of the hosts for tomorrow's meeting

Annoyed/Angry crowd = Everybody in the Disney Community

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The only people who would have added sensitivity around China are the ones who think that their government intentionally unleashed an uncontrollable deadly virus in their own country to, um, kill Americans.

Disney hasn’t exactly been catering to that crowd.

Thankfully for the rest of us
Slightly different scenario
I'm so excited! You guys get to hear me talk tomorrow!! Who's excited!?!?
I sure freaking am 👍🏻
People have been saying KK’s firing is imminent for almost 3 years now. Eventually all of these guys will have an “I told ya so” moment. And no matter if she steps down/retires/etc she got fired in their eyes.
I thought she’d quietly “resign” early this year...Iger quitting...then “un-quitting” ended that for me. Seems like she’s playing out her string to transition a new head...maybe a new structure beyond LFL?

We now have 3 MCU key players coming into LFL..,just waiting for the Russos and Tom Holland to be cast as the next Jedi 😉

If she’s not fired...that does not validate her tenure. They made a lot of money early and it’s fallen ever since.

SoFloMagic

Disney is actively researching: chance of transmission for mask-to-mask. Currently, the number Disney has is 1.5%. That is, with a standard (not N95 or higher) mask, the chance of two adults transmitting the virus while both wear a mask is 1.5%. That's currently too high to reopen the parks safely.
Currently too high? How does this change? Is it not physics? (Serious question)

todd23

You really hit me hard with my July WDW reservation and my DL reservation. At least you didn't destroy my DCL Dec cruise...Yet
We have a December cruise, too, and are still holding out hope. Typically our 221 day countdown to sailing would seem like a long time, but it almost seems too close for my liking this time.

monothingie

Official Lowerer of $DIS stock price
Premium Member
3. Disney is still looking at an August reopening for Magic Kingdom and the MK resorts. There are some important data sets that are being monitored. First, Disney is watching early states with populous areas to see if there is a spike in cases. States that are being closely monitored include Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Colorado, and Texas. Second, there's an important statistic that Disney is actively researching: chance of transmission for mask-to-mask. Currently, the number Disney has is 1.5%. That is, with a standard (not N95 or higher) mask, the chance of two adults transmitting the virus while both wear a mask is 1.5%. That's currently too high to reopen the parks safely. At that rate, you have a 1/75 chance of contracting the virus when in close proximity with others, and a theme park features far more than 75 close interactions in a single day, even if social distancing and 50% capacity is active. If just one person is contagious then, you have a super spread situation at MK. Another serious issue to reopening the parks prior to August is that children present a logistical problem to keeping masks on in an efficient manner. And even if you do wear masks all day with no problems, Alannah Hall-Smith has been adamant that putting guests in July/August heat with a requirement to wear masks is a recipe for disaster. What are you going to do if you have people passing out from heat while wearing a mask? What are you going to do if the temperature is 98 and you can't let people in many of your indoor areas? So just know that while the target might be August, there's a real chance that this goes longer.

So you're still sticking with this huh?

USO is taking steps to open next week with City Walk , and there's a strong indication that Disney Springs will do the same quickly after, if not at the same time.

I wonder how quickly the ClownfishTV/Princess and Pirates Blog doom and gloomers feature this post....hmmm

lewisc

Currently too high? How does this change? Is it not physics? (Serious question)
I have no idea where that number comes from
Does it assume guests won't maintain social distancing? Does the 1.5 number reflect number which will occur if a mask rule is promulgated but reflects the number of guest who wont wear the mask properly or won't wear it when required?

How many posters question if they would wear a mask and how Disney would enforce a rule.
The kind of masks we're talking about are intended to protect other guests. IF Disney thinks masks are necessary then Disney MUST enforce such a rule. Not just legal liability. Disney cant get the rep of being a place where you go, get infected then go home and infect family and friends. Will a waiver apply if Disney fails to enforce mask rule? Would a waiver cover a friend infected by a returning guest.

There appears to be a lot of resistance to masks. I Dollar store guard was shot for telling a customer to wear a mask.

edited to add:

I'm not sure what Disney can do if their research suggests masks are essential and further suggests there is no way to enforce such a rule.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom