What to pack for a trip in mid-December?

WDWNooby

We will be arriving at the World on December 13. I'm curious as to what type of clothing to pack for this trip. Is there a "normal" temperature in Florida at that time? Can it cold? Just planning ahead and as to how many suitcases we'll need. We live in IL so it will likely be cold when we leave and return.

Minthorne

Yes it can get pretty cold in the evenings but still be mild during the day. Going during the winter I always bring both shorts and pants. I live in MA so it's cold here when leaving. I try not to wear a winter coat but instead I'll layer a zip up sweater, sweatshirt and light jacket so I have some choices when in FL. It's a hard time to pack for because you really need to handle both the cold and warm weather.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
We will be arriving at the World on December 13. I'm curious as to what type of clothing to pack for this trip. Is there a "normal" temperature in Florida at that time? Can it cold? Just planning ahead and as to how many suitcases we'll need. We live in IL so it will likely be cold when we leave and return.

I am probably not going to be much help here. But you kind of have to pack for a bit of everything. When my DH and I went in December of 2006, we melted it was SO stinking hot!! Then in October of 2007, it was average, warm in the day and cool at night but never got cold. So when we went in November of 2008, I didn't pack "warm" clothes b/c it had never been cold in October and we melted in December....we froze! Literally had to buy gloves! FROZE!

It is hard to surmise since the weather, especially this year all across the country, has been so wacky. It has been so HOT! So I am leaning towards it not being a cool winter, but that being said, you can never really tell. The "average" December temp in FL is: Low 70's as the high and 50's as the low.

Upvote 0

BamaDisneyFan

I've never been in December, however I live in Alabama. I would pack a few pieces of clothing as if it was spring early summer. We've worn shorts and t-shirts in december one year. If your suitcase can accomodate it, I'd pack maybe 2-3 shorts with T-shirts, and then your winter clothes. Have fun planning and I hope you and your family have a Magical time.

Upvote 0

emarie13

I've gone in December two years in a row. The first time the weather was great! 85 degrees every day, shorts and tank tops were a must! Then the following year we FROZE! The whole state was in a state of emergency. We did not pack appropriately and I was wishing I had brought my winter coat. The best advice I can give is check the weather for the week a few days before you go and pack accordingly.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

That time of year can be all over the place. I lived in FL for about 7 yrs and we had Decembers that were all shorts and t-shirts weather and we had some that were quite chilly for what you think about in FL.

We also went to WDW in Dec of 2010...I was already thinking cold since it had snowed in FL during our dates in 2009. We had a fairly cold trip in 2010. It was upper 30s-low40s on our arrival day with a nasty wind chill. The temps were around the same on our 2nd day, but gradually warmed up each day until we had mid 70s on our second to last day....UNTIL a front went through. It was about 75 degrees mid afternoon and when the front went through- it dropped into the 50s and kept dropping. It was in the teens-20s by the next morning. You live in IL, so it probably won't be too cold to you if temps dip, but you still want to be comfortable touring the parks.

Moral of the story- pack for everything! :D

Upvote 0

sgtmgd

Pack everything from your bikini to your woolies.:p I've been there that same week for 3 years in a row and had everything from temps in the 50's with rain up to high 80's.
Great response...keep in mind it will feel much colder than 49 or 50 at night due to the highs being in the upper 70 to low 80s...it really is hit or miss on the temp..last Dec was chilly by Orlando.standards

Upvote 0

rkelly42

As has already been mentioned, pack for both mild and cold weather. Make sure to check the extended forecast prior to your visit. The nights can be quite cool if not cold and will need a sweatshirt or jacket. Bring your swimwear but be aware that it could be to cool out for swimming.

Upvote 0

Mukta

I went to WDW in Dec of 2010 and they had an unusual cold snap. It got down to 19 degrees at night and I was freezing because I didn't pack the right things. This year, I plan to pack for warm or cold weather.

Upvote 0

swissamy

We also went in Dec 2010 around the beginning of the month and I remember it being colder than ever in Orlando - record breaking. Then we went last year (Dec 12, 2011) and we wore long sleeve t-shirts and the kids actually got to swim on a 65-70 degree day. I guess you can check later to the date, but I am going again in December and I will take everything from a few t shirts and a pair or 2 of shorts to jeans and turtlenecks and a sweater and sweatshirt. Layers work for me and as the mama who packs, I try to make sure we have a range - however, we drive and it is easier to accommodate more "just in case" stuff! WE have winter coats in the car that usually stay in the trunk and come out on those late nights as needed!!

Upvote 0

Raven66

You can probably leave the toboggan at home .....

This made me giggle. I don't know if you know but in some places a toboggan is a hat not just a sled. When I was a kid in MI the older generation called hats that. If you knew that already, sorry about that. :D

As for the weather, we went one year in December and it was pretty cold at night. We about froze our hineys off watching the fireworks and parade. The days were pretty pleasant.

Upvote 0

WDWNooby

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I'm a born and bred California girl so anything under 70 is actually cold to me :eek: I feel larger suitcases or an extra one coming our way. My son on the other hand is IL through and through...he will wear shorts when it's -3 out. Got plenty of $1.00 gloves on hand so will be sure to pack them. Might just buy kids gloves with Mickeys and Minnies on them for the trip. I've already been buying long sleeved Disney shirts. Just hate the thought of wearing a winter coat in FL but it is what it is and I'd much rather be prepared and over packed than not prepared and under packed :) What's another $35.00 for luggage :p in the grand scheme of things.

Upvote 0

disney magic 06

All good advice above. We've only been once in december, and one of my friends had to buy a warm jacket, poncho (!) and a sun hat!! I wouldn't say she was unprepared but.........

The weather was cold and breezy some days, warm and sunny others and a couple of days very very wet - like all day throwing it down.

I agree it's better to over-pack than under-pack. There's nothing worse than being cold imo.

Upvote 0

boopuff

I have a few funny photos of my family in hats and gloves in EPCOT one Dec. On the other hand we were there in November it was beautiful up until our last day when temps fell and my daughter was caught in a tank top!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom