What to believe about the shape of Disney Port Orleans Riverside

talonstruck

I have been reading reviews of Port Orleans Riverside and frankly I am getting worried about making the right reservation for when we will be there in August. I am not finding very many positive reviews and the reason I booked this hotel was because in the past my family totally loved it. A lot of reviews are stating its rundown and the guest service is undisney like. Is this true or are people just using this as sounding board to gripe? Also which rooms will be shutdown for the refurb for the Royal Suites? Should I change my Reservations to a different resort?
Any Help will be appreciated!!

stratman50th

I know nothing about Riverside, but if you're worried, go French Quarter. You won't regret it. How many people in your family? If you decide on the FQ, request building 4.
As far as Riverside, there are people on here that rave about it still. I just like FQ because the property is smaller an there's less people competing for the bus stops, food court, and pool.

Upvote 0

talonstruck

Original Poster
There will be 4 of us. When we booked back in Febuary we got the deal where our 8 year old will stay and play free. With that said I am not sure if we decide to change our resort if we will still be able to get that option.

Upvote 0
I don't think you could switch and keep that offer since it's no longer being offered unless somebody pulls some strings for you but is it during the free dining period? That make work out to be less than what you were going to save buy have the childs tickets free. In 2008 we did free dining but in 2010 we had the option of that again or kids stay and play free. With 2 kids it was about the same price overall but if you only have one kid then my thought would be that free dining would save you more...

Upvote 0

LilSuzy

Our Family stayed at Riverside last summer, it was nice, nothing looked "run down". Food was great, pools were awesome. We had a pleasant expeirence :)

Upvote 0

Magical Dreamer

We've been at POR our last 2 trips and loved it.......

We're at the Beach Club this November, but I'm planning to book POR for 2012as soon as November 9th -19th is available.

Upvote 0

bhealthy

Stayed there last May and loved it. I think I stayed at Magnolia Bend. Close enough to everything, yet still quiet. I didn't find any real problems. Hope you have a great time!

Upvote 0

jduran

I stayed at POR in February at the Acadian mansion and everything look fine to me. My room hadn't been renovated (why would it be, considering at the time they had just started on the FQ side) so it didn't have a flat screen TV or newer furniture. But honestly, everything looked to be good shape. I'm not one of those people who gets on their hands and knees and examines every aspect of the room, but I'm sure beyond normal wear and tear there wasn't anything wrong with it.

If anything, what spoiled it for me was staying at CSR in April. The details were MUCH nicer than those at POR and it felt like more of a upgrade even though it was basically still a moderate hotel. But things like a flat screen TV, newer furniture, better toiletries, and GASP! a sliding door instead of a curtain really do make a room feel more upscale. I also found the grounds to be nicer if a little less shady (which comes in handy when you are walking under the Florida sun).

But if all you are worried about is the condition of the rooms at POR, don't be. And if you arrive and the room isn't to your liking, you can always demand to be transferred to another.

Upvote 0

Skibum1970

Fine In 2009

Stayed there in 2009 and had a great room. The pools were awesome and the food court was great. Our room was in good condition and not worn out. Not to say that things couldn't change in two years but I plan on staying there in November without any hesitation. Side note: The rooms in the mansion section (Parterre, Magnolia, etc...) will be getting the makeovers into "royal rooms". Shouldn't impact your stay but it could be a trifle noisy during the daytime.

Upvote 0

liloohana

We were just there in March, and the hotel, pool and grounds were beautiful!! My main complaint was our room. It seemed dirty and dated.
I can't say anything negative about the CM or the overall experience, but out of all the Disney resorts I've stayed at (including values), these rooms were the worst!!
I, too, loved FQ and would stay there over POR.
Have a great trip!!

Upvote 0
We'll be there in 3 days. We leave this coming Friday and are staying for 4 nights. I have a pre-trip report posted (see my signature below) and I'm planning to do a trip report when we come back. I'll be glad to take tons of pics of the POR (as I usually do of any resort we stay at) and try to let you know how the current state of it, at least our room and from our perspective. Of course, everyone feels differently about different aspects of it, so you know...

Upvote 0

Pooh Lover

We have stayed there several times in the last 10 years and our only consistent complaint has been the bus service, which will bother some and not others. We love the grounds, theming, food court and laid back atmosphere. Our rooms have always been fine. Never a problem with cleanliness or the appearance of excessive wear. Be prepared to do some walking at this resort as some rooms can be a decent trek. This resort is quite close to EPCOT, DHS and Downtown Disney, of course. The boat ride is great and a nice break from a bus. I think you will have a great time.

Upvote 0

WDWRLD

We really love this resort and stay there every year. My only complaint is the busses. At night coming from every park with exception of AK the bus lines are awful. Studios usually winds back past the previous stop and Mk is noit much better. Im hoping for better luck in a couple weeks but not expecting it.

Upvote 0
We stayed there in December, in the Alligator Bayou section and we loved it. We will be staying there on our next trip. Hopefully in the new Princess rooms!! We didn't have any problems with buses. I have had worse experience with the All Star resort buses. I would give it a shot, have a great vacation!!

Upvote 0

stratman50th

Another plug for the French Quarter is the bus service. Going back to what I said previously, the FQ is small, so nothing is too far of a walk, including the bus stop.
Next, at least this has been our experience, and we've stayed there a lot, the buses always come to FQ first, before Riverside. Then they go to Riverside and stop at all 4 stops. The same goes for the return from the parks. The buses let off the FQ people first, then continue on to Riverside.

Upvote 0

KJ1081

We had this booked for our wedding/honeymoon trip May 14-26, but we asked to be moved after a few nights because the place was disgusting. We stayed in Magnolia Bend, I can't remember the exact room number but it began with 89 and we were on the 3rd floor. The bathroom had quite a bit of mold and mildew, the room smelled very musty, dirty shower curtain, wallpaper boarder along ceiling was peeling off, hairdryer was literally broken into pieces, and there were MANY stains on rug. We were willing to stick it out anyway to avoid the inconvenience of moving resorts, but after multiple sets of stained linens and a stack of towels with fresh blood dribbled down the side, I politely expressed our dissatisfaction and the manager kindly moved us the French Quarter- which was AMAZING!! To make up for our less than stellar experience so far, the manager kindly delivered a gift basket. It contained chocolate, champagne with mickey flutes, cookies, and an autographed portrait from Mickey and Minnie wishing us a happy honeymoon- so nice of her!

Honestly, I can't recommend staying at Riverside now, but you may have a much better experience than we did.

Upvote 0

ob1thx1138

We were there for 8 days last summer and LOVED it. We were in the Alligator Bayou section building 16. The only reason we would not book this resort again is because we want to try something new next time.

The only thing we noticed wrong was the outer door on our fridge had a broken hinge. I thought about reporting it, but never got around to it. It was no hassle just thought they might want to know about it. Now I wish we had reported it because the people that stayed there after us probably reported it and Disney probably thinks we broke it. LOL

Upvote 0

dixiegirl

I have been reading reviews of Port Orleans Riverside and frankly I am getting worried about making the right reservation for when we will be there in August. I am not finding very many positive reviews and the reason I booked this hotel was because in the past my family totally loved it. Its been 10 years since we have been here and a lot of reviews are stating its rundown and the guest service is undisney like. Is this true or are people just using this as sounding board to gripe? Also which rooms will be shutdown for the refurb for the Royal Suites? Should I change my Reservations to a different resort?
Any Help will be appreciated!!

I 'll hop on here and say we stayed there in Jan and still loved it! We had'nt stayed there since 06 only because we became DVC members that year.. But every year from 96 to 06 we stayed there and loved it! (I was actually hesitant to stay at our DVC home because of this, which now I LOVE SSR but anyhow)> To me I love POR and always recomend friends and family members there and have'nt had anyone come back unhappy...To me the resort has it all... A great food court , which does have something for everyone, beautiful grounds either for just a stroll from the parks or for exercise or well just because your on vacation!
Plenty of pool areas , the bar at the pool......yeah fabulous drinks:slurp:!
Bob the piano man is a must to see in the lounge area, he is there on certain nites and is fun for the whole family.
Love the general store , plush animals and clothing and such from the park as well as snacks and things you might have forgot at home(pricey but hay your at Disney, what is'nt?).
Buildings 14, 16 and18 in the Alligator Bayou section are great. Close to pool, bus stop and main dining area..
Don't think you be dissapointed staying there!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom