What to believe about the shape of Disney Port Orleans Riverside

talonstruck

I have been reading reviews of Port Orleans Riverside and frankly I am getting worried about making the right reservation for when we will be there in August. I am not finding very many positive reviews and the reason I booked this hotel was because in the past my family totally loved it. A lot of reviews are stating its rundown and the guest service is undisney like. Is this true or are people just using this as sounding board to gripe? Also which rooms will be shutdown for the refurb for the Royal Suites? Should I change my Reservations to a different resort?
Any Help will be appreciated!!

Spike-in-Berlin

Even the Poly gets bad reviews. No one resort pleases all the people.

And although it's quite sad I know why. Housekeeping in the Poly was definitely sub-standard when we stayed there. The AC is far too loud for a resort in this price-range. The furniture had some stains (from coffee creamer I believe), the furniture was partially quite worn (not the beds however, everything fine here) and they didn't clean the cobwebs on our balcony and the windows before we complained about it at the front desk. Especially embarassing, they tried THREE times to clean our windows and never really got them as clean as I would expect in a "deluxe-resort".

Upvote 0
POR like coming home!

Coming back to POR in September. Have been there almost every year for the past 6 or 7. We actually reserve and request our room numbers and have gotten them in most cases.

Have occasionally seen some wear and tear but it is always fixed the next time. That is to be expected! Yes, sometimes you have to wait for the bus back from a park when it is near closing time or after a show, fireworks, etc. But the Disney Bus magic always works and the wait is never that bad. In fact, it is fun to see how they reroute equipment to the longest lines. Truly amazing to an engineer like me.

Coming back to POR is like coming home. Whenever we get off the DME bus and open the doors, it is like we were never far away. Can't wait til we get there this year.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Tom

Beta Return
Coming back to POR in September. Have been there almost every year for the past 6 or 7. We actually reserve and request our room numbers and have gotten them in most cases.

Have occasionally seen some wear and tear but it is always fixed the next time. That is to be expected! Yes, sometimes you have to wait for the bus back from a park when it is near closing time or after a show, fireworks, etc. But the Disney Bus magic always works and the wait is never that bad. In fact, it is fun to see how they reroute equipment to the longest lines. Truly amazing to an engineer like me.

Coming back to POR is like coming home. Whenever we get off the DME bus and open the doors, it is like we were never far away. Can't wait til we get there this year.:sohappy:

Nice thread bump :lol:

But, since we're here, I'll chime in. POR has recently undergone an EXTENSIVE overhaul. I believe they're complete....or near complete.

Of the 4 mansion buildings, half the rooms (2 buildings, 512 rooms) have been converted to the Royal Rooms. We toured them and they're very nice.

The rest of the mansion rooms have been re-done too. We just stayed in a King room in the Acadia House, and the room was impeccable.

We also toured the Bayou. The trundle beds are gone and have been replaced with fold-down toddler beds that are part of the TV stand during the day. Genius! The rooms themselves are very nice too.

So, POR, in summary, is no longer showing its age. The newly refurbished rooms are incredible, and the resort is still my favorite Moderate because of the totally immersive theme.

Upvote 0

bgoebel

We have stayed At pofq last two trips and love it but are considering trying por or possibly even poly if this year goes well ( especially nice since we 'll have a 2 year old who needs naps and monerail would be convenient) which leads to my question . Occupancy or pofq and por is 4 but if we have 2 adults 10 year old , 7 year old and 2 year old does the two year old technically put us over max occupancy or is that 4 adults?

Upvote 0

bubbles1812

We have stayed At pofq last two trips and love it but are considering trying por or possibly even poly if this year goes well ( especially nice since we 'll have a 2 year old who needs naps and monerail would be convenient) which leads to my question . Occupancy or pofq and por is 4 but if we have 2 adults 10 year old , 7 year old and 2 year old does the two year old technically put us over max occupancy or is that 4 adults?

I think you would be ok. Each room I believe has is the two beds and then the little trundle...perfect for a two year old provided your 10 year old and 7 year old don't mind sleeping in the same bed (my siblings and I may have had a few kicking fights now and then until dad told us to knock it off ;) ). I've been told 3 year olds and under are free but I'm assuming that's just for the parks and not the rooms. So you might have to pay a little extra for the one room but I highly doubt they would make you get two with your fifth person being a small child.

POR is a really nice resort. I've stayed in it twice...once when it was still called Dixie Landings and then once it was redone into POR. POR always felt a little bit more relaxed to me and I adored the theming. If you get to try the Poly, it is excellent too (Poly and Beach Club tie in my mind for fav deluxe resort)

Upvote 0

bgoebel

I think you would be ok. Each room I believe has is the two beds and then the little trundle...perfect for a two year old provided your 10 year old and 7 year old don't mind sleeping in the same bed (my siblings and I may have had a few kicking fights now and then until dad told us to knock it off ;) ). I've been told 3 year olds and under are free but I'm assuming that's just for the parks and not the rooms. So you might have to pay a little extra for the one room but I highly doubt they would make you get two with your fifth person being a small child.

POR is a really nice resort. I've stayed in it twice...once when it was still called Dixie Landings and then once it was redone into POR. POR always felt a little bit more relaxed to me and I adored the theming. If you get to try the Poly, it is excellent too (Poly and Beach Club tie in my mind for fav deluxe resort)

Thank so much for your insight! We've loved pofq and it's our comfort zone lately but stayed at poly when I was a child coming to wdw for family trips so would definately bring back memories! Por with the renovations is definately in the running. What's crazy is when I put in our family and ages in trip planning on Disney website is that it doesn't give me an error in the number of people staying! I may just call to find out! Thanks again as good night :)

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Pors.

Well the RS has new Murphy beds which replaced the Trundles,check out photos on Port Orleans unofficial web site. There's new photos of the rooms and beds. P.S. Don't be alarmed at the " no sides" you can get them for the bed at concierge.:wave:

Upvote 0

gallerie

a good choice for value but watch out if the cheerleaders are staying there!!! Honestly, I love the deluxes and we go half as often just so we can stay at the Boardwalk, Yacht club, Contemporary or Grand Floridian. When we have stayed at moderates, we end up feeling like we have spent hours a day on a bus. at the deluxes we stay at, it feels like steps away a park and sooooooooo much more relaxing.

Upvote 0

redfive13

We've stayed at POR more times than any other resort, it's our 2nd favorite behind the Poly! All the rome have completed their renovations and everything looks better than ever. We prefer Alligator Bayou vs. the Mansions, closer to the main building/food court and we just like the theming better. Next time we'll stay in the Royal Rooms.

Keep your reservation, you won't be dissapointed. Trust me on this. :)

Upvote 0

Tom

Beta Return
We've stayed at POR more times than any other resort, it's our 2nd favorite behind the Poly! All the rome have completed their renovations and everything looks better than ever. We prefer Alligator Bayou vs. the Mansions, closer to the main building/food court and we just like the theming better. Next time we'll stay in the Royal Rooms.

Keep your reservation, you won't be dissapointed. Trust me on this. :)

I agree - not a thing wrong with the place. In fact, of the Moderates, POR is the easiest to get around (well, except French Quarter, of course). CBR and CSR are gigantic. At least all of POR's buildings are within reasonable walking distance from the ONE main building.

When I'm at POR, I literally forget there's a real world out there somewhere. You completely lose yourself in the ambiance and atmosphere from the moment you arrive.

Upvote 0

Vader2112

If you do keep your reservation please let us know what you find. We were looking at staying there in October in one of the Royal Rooms.

Thanks Have a great time!

Upvote 0

Tom

Beta Return

First, when Disney says occupancy is 4, they mean 4 PLUS one child under 3 in a crib. Disney will provide a free Pack-n-Play if you don't bring something of your own.

And there is no charge for anyone under 3 at the Resort hotel or theme parks. You'd only pay if you buy a kids meal for him/her at a restaurant. Otherwise, they're allowed to eat off an adult's plate for free, even at a buffet.

At Riverside, if you were comfortable letting the 2-yo sleep in the pull down bed (which does not have rails), you should call and request a Trundle Bed room. However, they reserve those rooms for guests with an actual 5th guest, so if the resort's full, you wouldn't get your request.

With any other resort that sleeps 4+1 (which is all of the standard rooms on property), you would just request the Pack-n-Play, or bring your own bedding for the 2-yo.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom