What Things Today Would Walt Disney Have Never Done or Be Out RAGED ABOUT.

IMFearless

Yes, I don't understand why the monorail or other advanced form of transportation have not be added or expanded on. Even is the buses were converted to Hybrid tech. I liked seeing the SEGWAYS in Epcot but I haven't seen them lately Walt would have wanted to be on top of this. They have done the solar farm deal with the local energy provider, 48,000 panels to be installed on propety, I think Walt woul dhave liked that.

The segways are in the building behind Epcot Character Spot, there's a vast air conditioned area with not much going on, one side comes out where the butterfly garden is. However in September of last year I peeped through the crack in a set of double doors and saw a whole number of segways on charge, perhaps they use them at night?

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
The goal at EPCOT should be to become almost totally solar and wind powered, it would fit their community of the future handle. Now there is the solar project going on but I,m not sure how that will work at the parks. Everything should be tech state of the art.

s8film40

The goal at EPCOT should be to become almost totally solar and wind powered, it would fit their community of the future handle. Now there is the solar project going on but I,m not sure how that will work at the parks. Everything should be tech state of the art.
I don't really think that's important. While it would be very fitting, it's one of those things that really isn't visible to the guests. I think it's much more important for Epcot to inspire people for what the future may hold. Unfortunately I've personally pretty much given up on the park ever doing this again. There comes a point when it's shifted in focus so much that there's really no getting back to that point without just completely redoing it. I think if Epcot weren't so iconic it would be more appropriate to rename the park and change the theme so that it can at least tie everything together in a better way.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
And just how would Walt be outraged by that?

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
And just how would Walt be outraged by that?

Why don,t you find someone else to bother, I,m not going to be intimidated by you, so just unwatch the thread. You seem to just want to
Run people off this board.You add nothing but sarcasim.
For the record I was commenting on someone's post, but you know that but just chose to ignore it and harass people.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Why don,t you find someone else to bother, I,m not going to be intimidated by you, so just unwatch the thread. You seem to just want to
Run people off this board.You add nothing but sarcasm.
And yet you didn't answer the question. Although, sticking to the topic of your own threads does seem to be an issue for you....

Goofyernmost

Reality check time. There is no EPCOT. That was changed years ago to Epcot which is nothing more then a familiar name for the park. EPCOT came about because of it's meaning. Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow. Disney Co. didn't change it to Epcot because it took up less space on the letterhead. They did it because they dropped/changed the original mission of EPCOT Ctr. We can keep thinking that changing it had no significance, but, that would be just sticking ones head in the sand.

Walt's EPCOT was never what we got. Not even close. It was named that more as a tribute then anything else. After a few years they came to realize that it had become impossible to stay ahead of progress. Tomorrow was always today or yesterday by that point. So any idea that it is there to promote the future is living in a delusional world. I was there when the park was a mere 3 months old and have gone regularly every year since it opened. It is completely different and I understand what it is now and enjoy it as much as I did the old EPCOT. Today's agenda for Epcot is whatever Disney decides it wants it to be. (P.S. World Showcase was never about the future anyway.)

Magenta Panther

^The above is true, and that's sad. Epcot is in no way the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow that Walt envisioned. That's because only Walt would have made it a reality. Still. Roy did the best he could, and the place is still very enjoyable...although I still weep at the thought of what's going to happen to Norway, which was my favorite World pavilion...

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
Reality check time. There is no EPCOT. That was changed years ago to Epcot which is nothing more then a familiar name for the park. EPCOT came about because of it's meaning. Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow. Disney Co. didn't change it to Epcot because it took up less space on the letterhead. They did it because they dropped/changed the original mission of EPCOT Ctr. We can keep thinking that changing it had no significance, but, that would be just sticking ones head in the sand.

Walt's EPCOT was never what we got. Not even close. It was named that more as a tribute then anything else. After a few years they came to realize that it had become impossible to stay ahead of progress. Tomorrow was always today or yesterday by that point. So any idea that it is there to promote the future is living in a delusional world. I was there when the park was a mere 3 months old and have gone regularly every year since it opened. It is completely different and I understand what it is now and enjoy it as much as I did the old EPCOT. Today's agenda for Epcot is whatever Disney decides it wants it to be. (P.S. World Showcase was never about the future anyway.)[/QUOTE

I guess they still can introduce cutting edge technology to EPCOT. It's very educational now and ideas of tomorrow can fit in pretty well.

s8film40

I found a screenshot of that indirect quote from Roy Disney regarding EPCOT that I had referred to earlier.

ZSrzZ7J.jpg

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
I found a screenshot of that indirect quote from Roy Disney regarding EPCOT that I had referred to earlier.

ZSrzZ7J.jpg

It's probably better that the idea died with Walt because I think only he had the total concept in his mind. Anyone trying to continue this without the concept designed for them would have just blown a lot of money and screwed it up. What it is now is not bad, it's still unique and very enjoyable.

s8film40

It's probably better that the idea died with Walt because I think only he had the total concept in his mind. Anyone trying to continue this without the concept designed for them would have just blown a lot of money and screwed it up. What it is now is not bad, it's still unique and very enjoyable.
I don't know that I would call it unique, it's just a theme park resort but I agree I'm not sure they would have been able to carry out EPCOT. Not because it hadn't been planned out, but because it needed someone to push it through. Walt relied on his designers and they had already been working on it for some time they knew what needed to be done and could have made the necessary changes as they came. Only Walt would be able to stand his ground and say "no this is how it needs to be done". Without him others would have influenced the project and been able to take it off course.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
Question, most every business today has a corporate mission statement. Does anyone know the actual mission statement and does it contain anything about Walt Disneys dream in it?

s8film40

I found this don't know how accurate or current it is.

"The mission of The Walt Disney Company is to be one of the world's leading producers and providers of entertainment and information. Using our portfolio of brands to differentiate our content, services and consumer products, we seek to develop the most creative, innovative and profitable entertainment experiences and related products in the world."

And this one said it was from 2013.

“The Walt Disney Company's objective is to be one of the world's leading producers and providers of entertainment and information, using its portfolio of brands to differentiate its content, services and consumer products. The company's primary financial goals are to maximize earnings and cash flow, and to allocate capital toward growth initiatives that will drive long-term shareholder value.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom