What Things Today Would Walt Disney Have Never Done or Be Out RAGED ABOUT.

Goofyernmost

The person you quoted and snobbishly replied to specifically said "(not the ones with actual medical needs)" It's pretty safe to assume that people have abused the system.
First of all... it's not a system. ECV's are available to anyone who wants them. There is no requirement to be handicapped and it doesn't require anything but asking for one and paying to rent it. It is a method of transportation and nothing else. Just having one does not give anyone special access without a legitimate reason and even if it's because a person is too heavy to negotiate WDW on foot, it is still a valid reason whether some skinny minny thinks so or not. So even if someone could determine if someone was "needy" or not, it would be totally irrelevant.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
First of all... it's not a system. ECV's are available to anyone who wants them. There is no requirement to be handicapped and it doesn't require anything but asking for one and paying to rent it. It is a method of transportation and nothing else. Just having one does not give anyone special access without a legitimate reason and even if it's because a person is too heavy to negotiate WDW on foot, it is still a valid reason whether some skinny minny thinks so or not. So even if someone could determine if someone was "needy" or not, it would be totally irrelevant.

Very true, and what is the big problem anyway. What,s with all the intolerance ?
If it helps make someone's ability to experience the parks better so be it. I'm in need of a hip replacement but I walk , If I used an ecv folks could look at me as not needing it but they don,t know my medical issue by looking at me. They are making a judgement based on prejudice not fact.

BaconPancakes

So you have no issues with the drink around the world groups who rent them? Also if everyone thought as you do, we'd have a park full of ECV's. The movie Wall-E comes to mind. I'm sorry, but if you don't have a valid medical excuse for one, you should absolutely not be using an ECV. If you are too obese to walk, go slower and take breaks. The walking will also help you lose some of that weight.

danyoung56

I have kind of a mixed feeling about the very large folks that use the ECV's. On one hand, I don't want to be judgemental, and if it's something that helps a person enjoy their day, more power to 'em. On the other hand (and speaking as a big guy), I have a hard time giving someone a pass for using an ECV just because they've become too obese to walk. I was waiting once for the MK ferry, and a large lady rode up in an ECV. The basket on the front of the cart was totally full of munchies, and her arm was almost a blur between the current bag of chips and her mouth. You just can't tell me that she had a glandular problem - she had an eating problem! But again, not my business to judge. I'm still working on it . . .

BaconPancakes

Nobody was talking about "health issues" though. Goofy was essentially stating that if they are available, why not use them? The same could be said for the DAS program. Having a disability isn't required to use the program since you legally can't require proof of need, so why not everyone "take advantage" of that program as well? Pretty soon WDW is going to be the "World of ECV's" where everyone is using DAS... :rolleyes:

Goofyernmost

Nobody was talking about "health issues" though. Goofy was essentially stating that if they are available, why not use them? The same could be said for the DAS program. Having a disability isn't required to use the program since you legally can't require proof of need, so why not everyone "take advantage" of that program as well? Pretty soon WDW is going to be the "World of ECV's" where everyone is using DAS... :rolleyes:
Goofy, indeed DID NOT say why not use them. Goofy said, they are available and there is no judgmental need involved anyway. Who the hell are you to determine who needs or doesn't need to use one? Who the hell are you to decide that if a person has a weight problem they should just stay home so you can have your day in the park without having to look at a ECV? Who made you lord and master over everyone else?

Having had to use one due to an injury once and another time accompanying a person that also needed one, let me tell you that there is no real benefit to having one unless you have an issue that prevents you from walking distances. Pain is pain regardless if it's because of an illness, an injury or due to a weight issue. They are a total hassle and not without a lot of effort to just get from one spot to another. Not to mention that you spend the day looking a someones butt. On top of all that IT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS! Get over yourself and move on to a real problem.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Having had to use one due to an injury once and another time accompanying a person that also needed one, let me tell you that there is no real benefit to having one unless you have an issue that prevents you from walking distances. Pain is pain regardless if it's because of an illness, an injury or due to a weight issue. They are a total hassle and not without a lot of effort to just get from one spot to another. Not to mention that you spend the day looking a someones butt.
Without wading too far into this debate, let me just support this statement. My father has medical issues and cannot walk long distances (really, anything more than about 100 feet) without pain. On our last trip, we rented an ECV from an outside company. It was a godsend as it allowed him to get around the parks. But it was not easy. They are slow. They are difficult to park. They do topple over if you take a turn the wrong way. It's not a benefit, unless you literally can't do it any other way.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I would like to take this moment to remind everyone

image.jpg

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
Walt would NEVER have left the Yeti broken for so long. Never.

For the life of me a billion dollar company allowing this, I just don't get it. If you create a ride with this effect in it , I assume it was for a good reason, why allow it to not function for an extended period of time.?

Maybe polls tell them folks don't really notice these details?

Magenta Panther

For the life of me a billion dollar company allowing this, I just don't get it. If you create a ride with this effect in it , I assume it was for a good reason, why allow it to not function for an extended period of time.?

Maybe polls tell them folks don't really notice these details?

Someone who owns Disney stock (like I no longer do) needs to go to a Stockholder's meeting and rip Iger a new one over this. The perpetually-broken yeti is an absolute disgrace. And by now it's clear that unless pressure is put on Iger and TDO, NOTHING will be done. Makes me sick.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
Another Disney difference eliminated. I read that most Disney restaurants will now have allergy free items on their menus so the chef does not have to come out and speak to the guest about food items that they can eat. When I was there we had dinner with friends and one had a food allergy, I was so impressed when the chef came out and perfectly articulated items that she would be able to eat and also offered to make something special if she liked. After he left my friend who was visiting wdw for the first time said that was impressive that's a Disney touch. Before someone states the bean counter cost issues of the chef coming out I understand all that. The issue is they continue to remove the Disney differences. Let me mention it was at the prime time cafe.

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Another Disney difference eliminated. I read that most Disney restaurants will now have allergy free items on their menus so the chef does not have to come out and speak to the guest about food items that they can eat. When I was there we had dinner with friends and one had a food allergy, I was so impressed when the chef came out and perfectly articulated items that she would be able to eat and also offered to make something special if she liked. After he left my friend who was visiting wdw for the first time said that was impressive that's a Disney touch. Before someone states the bean counter cost issues of the chef coming out I understand all that. The issue is they continue to remove the Disney differences. Let me mention it was at the prime time cafe.

The chef coming out is a Disney difference? :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom