What the heck does your username mean???

PUSH

I thought about doing that, but I was afraid people might confuse me with that other, less handsome OrlandoB.
I would be worried that people wouldn't realize BobS is Bob Saget. Of course I could always go for my undercover name, GaryB. And if that didn't work I'd use my villain name, MegC.

erasure fan1

Very simple for me. After I heard their first album back in 1985, Erasure has been my favorite band ever since.
images

prberk

My username actually goes all the way back to college, when we were all assigned usernames on the big, fancy mainframe that we had at the time. It was made up from parts of my name in a coded fashion.

Ironicallhy, my first real use of it to log onto that mainfram was on a "bulletin board" that they had for the students, which was my first experience at an online forum of sorts (on line in that it was on the computer network within the school, but the World Wide Web did not exist yet). Turns out that it was a rudimentary, green-on-black version of this type of forum.

So, when I logged in here for the first time, in 2001, I naturally chose that. Who knew, so many years ago, that I would still be using the username today that they had assigned me back then in some form!

prberk

Nothing too mysterious about my user name. I have been a Star Wars fan since I saw A New Hope in theaters in 1977 at the ripe old age of 6. Master Yoda is my favorite character.

Up until I joined this forum I always used the name Macleod online. I decided to change things up a bit when I joined WDWMagic and entered the name Master Yoda fully expecting it to kick back as taken. I was fairly shocked that it was available.

Cool. Glad you got that name.

Only one problem, and as a pro Star Wars geek, I would think you would understand it: There is NO WAY that you saw A New Hope in 1977. You saw Star Wars in 1977. I think you saw A New Hope a little later....

UncleMike101

I have over 101 Nieces, Nephews, Grand Nieces, Grand Nephews, Great Grand Nieces, Great Grand Nephews, Great-Great Grand Nieces, and Great-Great Grand Nephews.
I'm convinced that when The Lord said "Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the earth." my Wife's family thought he was speaking specifically to them

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Cool. Glad you got that name.

Only one problem, and as a pro Star Wars geek, I would think you would understand it: There is NO WAY that you saw A New Hope in 1977. You saw Star Wars in 1977. I think you saw A New Hope a little later....
Correct. It was technically not a New Hope until 1981.

prberk

Correct. It was technically not a New Hope until 1981.

You know what? I forgot that the original was not actually changed until AFTER Empire in 1980. I thought that he had changed it to A New Hope in the 1978 Star Wars re-release. Now you remind me that it was with Empire that we learned about the 9-part series that had started with Episode 4. Thanks for the reminder. And I also remember how big a deal that seemed at the time.

By the way, do you remember when you first saw Star Wars, and what you thought at the time. Were you a kid, with your family, or with friends?

I remember seeing at in our "new" second-run 99-cent theatre, after everyone else had seen it, but still loving it. It popped off the screen, and made a huge impression. I had an LP of the story with some sound effects that I played over and over. I also watched it later when it would come on HBO and things like that.

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You know what? I forgot that the original was not actually changed until AFTER Empire in 1980. I thought that he had changed it to A New Hope in the 1978 Star Wars re-release. Now you remind me that it was with Empire that we learned about the 9-part series that had started with Episode 4. Thanks for the reminder. And I also remember how big a deal that seemed at the time.

By the way, do you remember when you first saw Star Wars, and what you thought at the time. Were you a kid, with your family, or with friends?

I remember seeing at in our "new" second-run 99-cent theatre, after everyone else had seen it, but still loving it. It popped off the screen, and made a huge impression. I had an LP of the story with some sound effects that I played over and over. I also watched it later when it would come on HBO and things like that.
I was 6 years old, it was after my brother Victor's wedding and I was with my parents. It was at the one of the largest theaters in Jacksonville at the time, the Regency Twin. I saw Empire for the first time at the same theater.
Several years later it would later appear in the Arlington Twin that was a 99 cent theater that was bike riding distance from my house. I must have seen it 50 times in that theater.

The first "at home" watching was when it came out on laser disk. My neighbor had one and we watched it almost every day after school before his parents got home from work. I must have watched it at least a hundred times at his house.

The movie had a profound effect on my life. Star Wars was the first movie I remember going to and it started my love for sci-fi, science and outer space that continues to this day.

As a kid I remember wishing that all of the characters would one day show up in my room. A wish that would sort of come true later in life thanks to Disney and Star Wars Weekends.

Thanks to living next door to my grandparents and being the only grand child around I was spoiled rotten and Star Wars toys were the poison of choice. I had virtually every toy Kenner made all the way through Jedi. I even had the coveted Death Star Playset.

The LP you spoke of, I had it as well. I listened to it over and over again on my grandparents console hi-fi that was about the same size as a current day chest freezer. To this day, I keep thinking that I need to flip the album when I am watching Star Wars and the Millennium Falcon is landing in the Death Star.

prberk

Thanks to living next door to my grandparents and being the only grand child around I was spoiled rotten and Star Wars toys were the poison of choice. I had virtually every toy Kenner made all the way through Jedi. I even had the coveted Death Star Playset.

The LP you spoke of, I had it as well. I listened to it over and over again on my grandparents console hi-fi that was about the same size as a current day chest freezer. To this day, I keep thinking that I need to flip the album when I am watching Star Wars and the Millennium Falcon is landing in the Death Star.

I've never seen that Death Star playset. How cool was that trash compactor crushing level? That made me smile when I saw it in the commercial. They thought of everything.

As for the LP, I can still remember the great shot that they chose for the cover art: R2-D2 and C-3PO traveling in the desert. Looking back, I don't know why they would have chosen that (rather than a space battle scene), but hey it worked, and the LP stood out in my mind. Perhaps it lent the idea of a journey or more solemn story (which Star Wars also was in certain ways). I know that another image that might have conveyed that, if that were the intention, was the one where Luke is looking at the double-moon horizon after his parents have died -- pondering his destiny. I always loved the score at that point in the movie.

I must have watched the movie the most on HBO or something. Because I know nearly every scene by heart, and also the entire end credit score. And I know that I did not get to see it in the theatres that often. Somewhere along the way I learned it that well. Isn't it funny how much you absorb growing up? And doesn't that fact alone help you to think about the way we treat children as adults? I know it does for me sometimes. I am not a parent, but I am an uncle and a youth director at my church. I often try to expose the youth group or my neices and nephews to things I think that will inspire them later, even if they do not remember when they learned it. But I also know that, like this discussion shows, sometimes they will clearly remember when they did -- and who showed it to them.

Smiley/OCD

The Smiley is the family nickname...my dad and uncles owned a bar in NJ called Smiley's tavern and I owned a record store called Smiley's music...the OCD is easy....Obsessive, Compulsive, Disney...The picture is my family in front of our favorite ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom